Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Saying it how it is!

Saying it how it is!

Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Saying it how it is!

I'm wondering whether this is just peculiar to where we live, or whether it's a Spanish trait??

People here are very straight talking, and really do say it how it is!
There never seems to be any malice attached to the statement; just matter of fact.
Sometimes I'm a bit taken aback by people's directness, but actually I fnd it really refreshing and honest - and find I'm quite in awe of this way of being.

A couple of examples:

When expressing condolences to people about the death of a relative (including to someone about their parent)
"Well, they were old - so that's normal!"

When discerning between one person called "Maria" and another:
"You know, the fat one" or "the one who limps" or "the blind one!"

Yesterday, talking about how gorgeous a little 9 month old boy was:
"Yes, a very ugly mother, but a gorgeous child!!"

Obviously my face gave away my astonishment at this directness, and the young woman I was talking to just said "Well, there are beautiful people in the world, and there are ugly ones. She's one of the ugly ones!"

Like I said, I've never heard a hint of unkindness in these expressions (other than anything I've perceived)
Has anyone else experienced this very matter of fact way of being, where they live?
If so, do you think that people's strong religious beliefs play a part in making it "easier" to accept facts of life and death?
Or have we all gone so "soft" in the UK, that we're afraid to say what we really think for fear of upsetting someone!?

We've been on the receiving end of a couple of comments too!
"You're fatter than when you left to visit England!" (True!)

"You're very open; your O/H is much quieter and doesn't go out much" (Also true)

And this was the awful one (when our dog was really poorly, and I couldn't find a Vet for love nor money )
"What are you crying for? She's only a dog! If she dies, get another one!
Cry about something happening to Keith; but not a dog!"

Believe me, I could have punched that bloke's lights out that day!!

Just thought it might be an interesting topic to debate!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:41 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saying it how it is!

Originally Posted by brisca

"You know, the fat one" or "the one who limps" or "the blind one!"

"Yes, a very ugly mother, but a gorgeous child!!"

"Well, there are beautiful people in the world, and there are ugly ones. She's one of the ugly ones!"
They spend all day talking about Brits then Sam?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:54 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

We tend to speak our minds and feel that it's ok to say what we are thinking as long as it's true.. It got me in trouble often in England ..
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
.............................And this was the awful one (when our dog was really poorly, and I couldn't find a Vet for love nor money )
"What are you crying for? She's only a dog! If she dies, get another one!
Cry about something happening to Keith; but not a dog!"

Believe me, I could have punched that bloke's lights out that day!!

Just thought it might be an interesting topic to debate!
I'm guessing here Keith is a human? and not your pet Chinchilla, maybe Keith is even your Husband?? I agree with the persons sentiments wholeheartedly, it's an animal, if it dies, either sell any food you have left over on E-Bay or buy another.

As to the general "directness" - refreshing IMO.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I find the speaking of their truth a very refreshing trait of Mediterranean people. Amongst the English (maybe apart from folks in the North), there seems to be a culture of saying what they think the other person wants to hear, or disguising their feelings as a joke (which they then say "only joking" if someone gets offended).
Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:08 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by leighbloke
I'm guessing here Keith is a human? and not your pet Chinchilla, maybe Keith is even your Husband?? I agree with the persons sentiments wholeheartedly, it's an animal, if it dies, either sell any food you have left over on E-Bay or buy another.

As to the general "directness" - refreshing IMO.
You horrid man!! Pets are part of a family, although i didn't feel as much sadness about my sons pet rat dying, when my lovely ginger cat died prematurely (hit by a car) I cried for days, he been around for longer than any men in my life!!
If anything happened to our dogs I would be very sad , they are animals and I'm not as soppy as some are over their pets but i am very fond of them.
I'm surprised at your callousness Leighbloke!!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverchick
You horrid man!! Pets are part of a family, although i didn't feel as much sadness about my sons pet rat dying, when my lovely ginger cat died prematurely (hit by a car) I cried for days, he been around for longer than any men in my life!!
If anything happened to our dogs I would be very sad , they are animals and I'm not as soppy as some are over their pets but i am very fond of them.
I'm surprised at your callousness Leighbloke!!
Ouch! That hurts more than you realise.
I'm not a pet type of person - other than when we did the hamster/goldfish thing for our son. But honestly I feel no connection with animals, and struggle to understand how attached others get, I don't believe that makes me a bad person or horrid in any way.
The OP was comparing her feelings for her dog with those for "Keith" and it seemed to me the Dog was coming out on top - Assuming still that Keith is her life partner and maybe father of her children, Is that right? IMO it is not?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:00 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Ouch! That hurts more than you realise.
I'm not a pet type of person - other than when we did the hamster/goldfish thing for our son. But honestly I feel no connection with animals, and struggle to understand how attached others get, I don't believe that makes me a bad person or horrid in any way.
The OP was comparing her feelings for her dog with those for "Keith" and it seemed to me the Dog was coming out on top - Assuming still that Keith is her life partner and maybe father of her children, Is that right? IMO it is not?
No, you've misunderstood me, I can understand people not having any sort of affinity with animals, it was just the bit you said about 'if it dies get a new one or put its food on ebay'!!Thats what I meant was horrid!!
Oooh hope i've not upset you!! you know I wouldn't like to do that!!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:04 pm
Fed up in England!!

Mind you, given th choice of my handsome Angus(Chocciel ab in my gallery .) or H.G sharing my bed, sometimes the former is preferable, he doesn't fart as much, doesn't hog the covers, his breath is nicer in the mornings and he'll gladly lick me awake
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:05 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

The more people you meet in life.....the more you appreciate the qualities that dogs possess.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by silverchick
No, you've misunderstood me, I can understand people not having any sort of affinity with animals, it was just the bit you said about 'if it dies get a new one or put its food on ebay'!!Thats what I meant was horrid!!
Oooh hope i've not upset you!! you know I wouldn't like to do that!!
Well that bit probably was uncalled for
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by XTreme
The more people you meet in life.....the more you appreciate the qualities that dogs possess.
You're meeting the wrong people!!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:29 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Know what you mean Sam.

Last year when we moved here permanently I asked how one of the neighbours was because I had not seen her and the 84 year old across the road took me to see her. She had just had an operation and looked terrible, my old dear said that it was very bad and said that she was dying. Then turned to the poor womans husband who is pretty crippled up and said he is not ill but she is very ill. I did not know what to say and did not know where to look. By the way the sick woman is still with us and althouth she is in a wheelchair she is looking much better.

Then again the same old dear told us three years ago that we would not see her husband when we returned because he was dying, he is also still with us.

Although my husband is from Yorkshire and is used to people talking straight he is astounded by the way she talks in front of people in this way.

Rosemary
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:31 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

You're meeting the wrong people!!
...whereas you're clearly meeting the wrong dogs!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
...whereas you're clearly meeting the wrong dogs!
You've seen the women round here then!!

No, I really have nothing against dogs, I simply struggle to appreciate the extent to which many people get attached to them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.