Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

satellite tv please...?

satellite tv please...?

Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute
Default satellite tv please...?

hellooo!

We are getting our big satellite dish delivered next week as mr FB is feeling suicidal with spanish tv

Could you please recommend which satellites to receive? I believe astra 28 is uk tv? we are getting 2 lnb's, so what else is good? wouldnt mind maybe some american tv or something?

Mr FB wants to know if any of you get any decent american tv (he likes things like Lost, prison break, desperate housewives (well thats me) etc etc) and if so how/which satellite?

any suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance!!!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 12:22 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: satellite tv please...?

the main UK TV channels are on Astra 2 - located at 28.2 to 28.5 degrees east of south....

a big dish (1.9 or 2.4) prime focus will only use one LNB - you cannot really fix a second LNB correctly to get any other satellites (astra 1 at 19 or hotbird at 13 - the angles juts dont work out here in spain!)...unless you mean you have an LNB with two cable outputs to feed two receivers.

lost, 24 - sky subscription required (1st series repeats are on E4 / C4)
housewives - C4 / E4 - free Tv channels
prison break is first on Sky subscription i think
heroes on bbc and sci fi (the latter is sky subscription required)
FX - sky subscription required

many of these are free on spanish TDT TV....with the adility to change the audio into the original soundtrack...

i think the only US channels are CNN, FOX News, and NASN (the latter is part of Setanta i think).
you can get US TV channels - but they are specially encrypted and only available to US Armed Forces....
Old Sep 7th 2008, 1:35 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Lost and Desperate Housewives are on Spanish TV so all you need is a TDT box.

Rosemary
Old Sep 7th 2008, 2:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Lost and Desperate Housewives are on Spanish TV so all you need is a TDT box.

Rosemary
I could do with a desperate housewife!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 3:12 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I could do with a desperate housewife!
I have one, Buyer collects No returns No refunds.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Satandpcguy
the main UK TV channels are on Astra 2 - located at 28.2 to 28.5 degrees east of south....

a big dish (1.9 or 2.4) prime focus will only use one LNB - you cannot really fix a second LNB correctly to get any other satellites (astra 1 at 19 or hotbird at 13 - the angles juts dont work out here in spain!)...unless you mean you have an LNB with two cable outputs to feed two receivers.

lost, 24 - sky subscription required (1st series repeats are on E4 / C4)
housewives - C4 / E4 - free Tv channels
prison break is first on Sky subscription i think
heroes on bbc and sci fi (the latter is sky subscription required)
FX - sky subscription required

many of these are free on spanish TDT TV....with the adility to change the audio into the original soundtrack...

i think the only US channels are CNN, FOX News, and NASN (the latter is part of Setanta i think).
you can get US TV channels - but they are specially encrypted and only available to US Armed Forces....

thanks for your reply!!

from what i understand (and thats not a lot! ) i think we are having several cable output things? But i am sure we are having more that one Lnb? (bro in law upstairs is dealing with it all as we will be sharing the cost of everything - but he is wanting hispasat(?) i think it called, and we want astra). So will that be possible?

So i we have several of those output things can we connect to several satellites? If so, we will have astra and, is that hotbird one any good?

hope i am making sense, cause i have no idea what i am talking about....

thanks again!!
x
Old Sep 7th 2008, 4:56 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

there is no way you can get astra 28east and hispasat 30 west on one dish, so you will need two dishes...and therefore 2 LNB's, one for each dish.

if you want hotbird you need a dish pointing at 13 degrees east....
if you want astra 1 you need a dish pointing at 19 degrees east....
if you want both astra1 and hotbidr you can get a "monoblock"lnb, which is two LNBs in one unit molded at the correct angles for the use on one dish.

EDIT: just seen solarwhizzes reply....which mentioned the above monoblock...!!

(Note that canal+ on hispasat is mirrored on astra 1)

it may be an idea to have your one big dish for astra 28, and a smaller motorised dish for any other satellite.....astra1, hotbird, hispa...

not too sure what "cable output things" are....

Last edited by The Guy; Sep 7th 2008 at 5:37 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Satandpcguy
there is no way you can get astra 28east and hispasat 30 west on one dish, so you will need two dishes...and therefore 2 LNB's, one for each dish.

if you want hotbird you need a dish pointing at 13 degrees east....
if you want astra 1 you need a dish pointing at 19 degrees east....

(Note that canal+ on hispasat is mirrored on astra 1)

it may be an idea to have one dish for astra 28, and a smaller motorised dish for any other satellite.....astra1, hotbird, hispa...

not too sure what "cable output things" are....
You can get Hotbird(13E and Astra(19.2E) one on the same dish 60CM using a double LNB offset. (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/32389/...XQ4GCSTHZPCFEY)

Last edited by Solarwhizz; Sep 7th 2008 at 5:13 pm.