Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Satellite TV Box

Satellite TV Box

Old Aug 19th 2007, 1:48 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Satellite TV Box

A neighbour has just informed me that there is a TV box you can buy from somwhere like Currys for £80 in the UK and it will work in Spain (all UK channels) with no added subscription. Does anyone else know about this? I thought they only worked if you had the Sky package.

I know nothing at all about satellite TV, so forgive me if it is a stupid question.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 2:14 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Satellite TV Box

hi, there are two possible outcomes.
Firstly if it is a satellite reciever it is FTA - all it will do is pick up the free to air channels - sky news, shopping channels and, dish size depending, BBC and ITV. To recieve official encypted sky satellite channels (including 4 and 5) you need a Sky Box.
If it is a digital terrestrial receiver most of them will work in spain (but not 100% gaurenteed). They will pick up the digital signals from the TV aerial, and when available can be used to change the audio into the origianl language (ie American in most case!)
Hope this helps
Old Aug 19th 2007, 10:22 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I have a system with an 80cm dish which we bought from Lidl in Spain, 99 euros for the lot, it picks up loads of European and Noth African Channels and also Sky Newws, BBC World and CNN.

What do I have to do/buy to get Coronation Street, Homes Under the Hammer and National Geographic for example?

Sorry to be so dense.

Last edited by scampicat; Aug 19th 2007 at 11:20 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scampicat
Thanks, I have a system with an 80cm dish which we bought from Lidl in Spain, 99 euros for the lot, it picks up loads of European and Noth African Channels and also Sky Newws, BBC World and CNN.

What do I have to do/buy to get Coronation Street, Homes Under the Hammer and National Geographic for example?

Sorry to be so dense.
A bigger dish, and I think for National G a Sky contract(and therefore a SKY digibox). for the dish anywhere between 1.3 offset to 1.9M should suffice, best clue is to see what your english neighbours are using.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:25 am
Ex Expat

We only have a few expats in our village, most of them don't have satellite TV (some don't even have a telly).

Those that do have it have the full Sky package and pay a fortune for it. Have noticed they all have huge dishes though.

Thanks for your advice, we'll probably stick with outr little system as we have nowhere really to put a huge dish without it looking like a monstrosity.