British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Satellite ready TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/satellite-ready-tv-933563/)

stevesainty Jul 2nd 2020 5:57 pm

Satellite ready TV

We are going to buy a new smart TV, probably a Samsung as they have been recommended to us as having a good set of built in apps.
However as we have an aerial to receive Spanish TV and a satellite to receive the free UK TV programs, we have been advised to buy a TV that has a built in satellite receiver.
We are going to go to our local shop to buy one but I have been looking at Amazon and Media Markt for information on the various models.
Nowhere can I find any information about an inbuilt satellite receiver. Are they standard on a new smart TV? Do they have the silver screw satellite cable input as well as a coaxial input?
Any advice would be welcome.

Fred James Jul 2nd 2020 9:44 pm

Re: Satellite ready TV

I bought a new Samsung TV a couple of weeks ago. It has a connection for a satellite dish. I have no intention of connecting a dish to it as I already have a satellite receiver for all the UK programs on i907.

The latest Samsung TVs seem more difficult to hack to get UK apps. I’m not too worried about that as I get them via Apple TV and Amazon Firestick.

Notdunroamin Jul 3rd 2020 5:55 am

The threaded antenna connector (F plug) is what tells you a TV has an inbuilt satellite receiver.

Samsung TV's use a proprietary operating system called 'Tizen' which is similar to Android but locked down to Samsung own apps. It's all but unhackable but in truth the vast majority are unlikely to need anything more, popular apps like Netflix and Prime etc. if not preinstalled are of course available.

Not many manufacturers use pure Android anymore.

The Guy Jul 3rd 2020 5:55 am

And worth noting that TVs with built in satellite receiver may not get access to a full 7 day programme guide, or do automatic channel updates, or get "red button" text like a Sky or Freesat box does.
The satellite inputs are not on all TVs, some have them, some dont.

stevesainty Jul 3rd 2020 6:30 am

Thank you all for your replies. I am getting a new TV as I am creating an access point in the bedroom, with direct ethernet from my router.
We only got satellite for free to air UK programmes because our wifi was so crappy at the time, but as I was installing a new point in the bedroom, I thought it was worth having if I did not need to use a set top box.
The aerial is for Spanish TV, to improve my Spanish. The apps are so that I can access subscription TV and Sport.

Notdunroamin Jul 4th 2020 10:58 am

Realistically, and reasonably reliably, the only way you'll get UK subscription TV and sport on a Samsung Tizen TV will be through SmartSTB or the Ministra player coupled with an IPTV service.

stevesainty Jul 4th 2020 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin (Post 12876354)
Realistically, and reasonably reliably, the only way you'll get UK subscription TV and sport on a Samsung Tizen TV will be through SmartSTB or the Ministra player coupled with an IPTV service.

I am not after UK TV, I have the free to air UK stuff through my satellite dish. The subscriptions I will be taking out, once sport returns on the scene, will be tennis TV, and an occasional Eurosport player monthly subscription. I may also subscribe to Netflix and or Amazon prime, as you can dip in and out of them as and when you like.
I did have an IPTV subscription but found that I hardly ever watched it.
The smart TV will give me internet access, and with a direct ethernet link I will not be using 2 lots of bandwidth from my IP, (router to computer and computer to TV)

missile Jul 4th 2020 6:32 pm

I would suggest you consider a NOW TV box. They are very cheap and would give you access to all UK channels and catch up.

stevesainty Jul 4th 2020 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by missile (Post 12876527)
I would suggest you consider a NOW TV box. They are very cheap and would give you access to all UK channels and catch up.

To be honest, we only watch BBC news, and that is only once or twice a week. If someone suggests a good series to watch, we just find a torrent file, download it and watch it like a box set. Live tennis, weekly tournaments, is our main viewing appetite, along with the grand slam events. Major golf tournaments, 6 nations rugby of rugby world cup and also major athletic tournaments are sports that we watch too.