Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

satellite internet almeria

satellite internet almeria

Old Mar 7th 2022, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Bunge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default satellite internet almeria

Hi just looking for some advice, I have a property in Almeria province and need to be able to work from there for a couple of months. The broadband available offering is woeful, so I considering looking at satellite broadband. I need to be able to use Teams / Zoom most of the day. Does anyone have any recommendations or could they point me in the right direction? Many thanks
Old Mar 7th 2022, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: satellite internet almeria

I can only speak for SkyDSL, forget it. The latency means you're going to annoy the heck out of other participants on the calls. I know someone using Starlink and they're getting on really well with it with no latency and he claims to get 180Mbps both ways. It's very expensive but if it's for work maybe you can claim or offset the cost.
Old Mar 7th 2022, 8:39 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked out data SIM packages?

This would provide you with a solution.
Old Mar 7th 2022, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not try STARLINK? Price is currently equivalent of about $100 US per month but this will decrease in the future as more users come online.

https://www.starlink.com

https://starlink.sx

Old Mar 8th 2022, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
Have you checked out data SIM packages?

This would provide you with a solution.
I second this. By far your best option so long as your 4g or above mobile coverage is ok.

For 25 euros a month you can now get virtually unlimited data, national and international calls and you can cancel at anytime.

​​​Best
Loco
​​​​

​​​​

Old Mar 9th 2022, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Hi all, thankyou for your answers, greatly appreciated. Starlink looks very tempting, but I may wait until the price comes down. There is good Movistar coverage, so I will go for that for now.

Old Mar 9th 2022, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at Digi Mobil if you get good coverage with Movistar. They use Movistar but at a reduced rate. It's LTE, not 5G, but I still get over 300Mbps with them in some areas. I'm paying 12 per month for 100GB as part of a package but without the package it's not a lot more.
Old Mar 10th 2022, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

I always chuckle when reading post which say "I need xxx mB"

Apart from 'shoot' em up' games and shaving off a few minutes when downloading films there is little which cannot be done on the Internet with say 20mB or so. That's more than adequate for Zoom or other similar streaming activities.

Having (an advertised) 300 or 600mB is the equivalent of having a super car which can go at 200mph when the speed limit on the road is 30!

Last edited by Notdunroamin; Mar 10th 2022 at 2:28 am.
Old Mar 10th 2022, 7:20 am
Just Joined

I totally agree, 20Mbps is perefectly adequate for my needs the main issue I have currently where I am is, the only broadband offering is through Next and I do get aroung 15Mbps down but only 1.8 Mbps up and you cant do much with that when working on Teams most of the day. Most of the time it wont even connect.
Old Mar 10th 2022, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
I always chuckle when reading post which say "I need xxx mB"

Apart from 'shoot' em up' games and shaving off a few minutes when downloading films there is little which cannot be done on the Internet with say 20mB or so. That's more than adequate for Zoom or other similar streaming activities.

Having (an advertised) 300 or 600mB is the equivalent of having a super car which can go at 200mph when the speed limit on the road is 30!
Agree. I was pre-empting someone claiming that Movistar restrict the Digi bandwidth.

On your second point, you would be surprised how many people have 300/600/1000Mbps using normal wifi routers and repeaters that won't even give 30Mbps if you're 1 room away from the router. The only way to make use of it is to install mesh or wired access points.
Old Mar 11th 2022, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

I just checked my bandwidth usage on a Teams call. It had a few bursts but generally it was 4 Mbps down and 1.2 up. That's with Teams only. Generally I'm doing other things at the same time so would need a lot more.

I was quite surprised by the other activity in the house. I'm seeing bursts up to 80 Mbps with one watching the news on an iPad and another watching YouTube videos on his phone. Firesticks take a lot too, up to 20 Mbps bursts. So get the best you can and get a decent router if you're planning to use it for working from home.
Old Mar 11th 2022, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bunge
Hi just looking for some advice, I have a property in Almeria province and need to be able to work from there for a couple of months. The broadband available offering is woeful, so I considering looking at satellite broadband. I need to be able to use Teams / Zoom most of the day. Does anyone have any recommendations or could they point me in the right direction? Many thanks
hi from portugal,i signed up to Konnect satellite service,about 8months ago and have no complaints what so ever 3 different packages i went for the top one ,49.99 month fixed for two years,on a one year contract,never drops below 80 meg and hovers around 95 meg most of the time,and unlimated
Old Mar 11th 2022, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Did the OP check out their 4G coverage?
Old Mar 11th 2022, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Some if not all these "unlimited" deals do come with a disclaimer about usage and will slow down or limit your connection if you are deemed to be in excess usage.
Old Mar 11th 2022, 9:43 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by growinspain
Some if not all these "unlimited" deals do come with a disclaimer about usage and will slow down or limit your connection if you are deemed to be in excess usage.
You will find all these packages which offer 'unlimited access' also have a 'fair usage' policy.

This is perfectly normal and perfectly reasonable!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.