Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Satellite internet

Satellite internet

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Satellite internet

We are off the beaten track with poor mobile signal and no fixed line telephone. I have been told of a company called Quantis who will provide satellite internet of "up to" 2 megs (Yes that all-important caveat "up to") and VOIP for 69€ a month (plus setup costs).

Does anyone have any experience? Are there other providers? The chap who tells me about them is the same guy who sold me my satellite TV which he promised would get all BBC and ITV. (But giving the benefit of the doubt, that could have been a combination of my Spanish and a confusion caused by my introduction of Skype and Sky)
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of
Default Re: Satellite internet

before going down a satellite route, have you looked into how to improve the quality of your mobile phone signal (and / or dongle) by means of a booster aerial / antenna.
Have no special experience of this but it could be a solution.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:59 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Although not in your area, I have what they call "...WDSL (Wireless Digital Subscriber Line) technology to provide Broadband, always on internet and IP telephony even when you don't have a telephone line". I have found it fantastic, my phone works like a landline (computer doesn't have to be on), I have a UK and Spanish number and all for around €45 a month with no payment up front for equipment or setup. I'm not an expert but it may be worth looking at. I heard satellite is quite hit and miss. good luck
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

I used to run a community broadband set up that was via satellite. It can be done cheaper than that, and there are many companies that can supply the link for you.
Where abouts are you? As I have all the required kit going begging at my house in Valencia!!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tooway.com/
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Wow what a really helpful set of replies. Thanks everyone

Nige - yes I had Vodafone out and Movistar with boosters.No signal at ALL that day!
Valenciatim, eeeek! I am in Galicia, on the coast. So a bit far away. Am checking the tooway at the moment thank you. My big problem is endemic technophobia!
JnK - have sent you a PM
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Wow what a really helpful set of replies. Thanks everyone

Nige - yes I had Vodafone out and Movistar with boosters.No signal at ALL that day!
Valenciatim, eeeek! I am in Galicia, on the coast. So a bit far away. Am checking the tooway at the moment thank you. My big problem is endemic technophobia!
JnK - have sent you a PM
It's a piece of cake to set up and run!
Please, if you decide to go for a sat system, run it past somebody first!! I will be happy to advise via pm if you like.
Tim
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

For three years I used the vodofone dongle with no problems. The connection was extremely slow but at least I could get a signal. Then about three months ago it stopped receiving a signal. I bought a new dongle but the same thing happened - no signal at all. My mobile is vodofone but could receive a signal with the phone so never understood what happened.

I changed to Movistar and the speed is slightly faster at about 15kpbs but it can be hit and miss. When we first moved here we visited Satel (there is one in Viveiro) and they could set up a satellite system but if I remember correctly the equipment was extremely pricey and the monthly fee was huge.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:13 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.astra2connect.com/where-to-buy/index.php

Maybe worth checking out this Sat System also.
Seem to be several Spanish suppliers.

Also check out your elegibility for Govt grant towards the cost, which I believe applies to any residents who cannot get a reasonable internet service by any other means but Satellite.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Dec 3rd 2009 at 5:21 pm.