Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

satellite dish not working

satellite dish not working

Old Jun 17th 2012, 11:17 am
Just Joined

sakany123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default satellite dish not working

I recently moved from a house to a flat in a block. My dish was installed on the roof by the technician approved by the community. It sends no signal to the Skydigibox but my Spanish digibox receives some channels with poor quality. The technician says the dish must have been bumped in transit - possible of course but, before I buy a new dish, what else could I try? I don't have access to the roof - have to request key from community president - so bit embarrassing to bring in a Sky professional unless all else fails. I don't think this technician is used to installing Sky - he's more of a cable man.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 11:27 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: satellite dish not working

Originally Posted by sakany123
I recently moved from a house to a flat in a block. My dish was installed on the roof by the technician approved by the community. It sends no signal to the Skydigibox but my Spanish digibox receives some channels with poor quality. The technician says the dish must have been bumped in transit - possible of course but, before I buy a new dish, what else could I try? I don't have access to the roof - have to request key from community president - so bit embarrassing to bring in a Sky professional unless all else fails. I don't think this technician is used to installing Sky - he's more of a cable man.
Try a new LNB 4quid on ebay

Or try to borrow one, or just try small adjustments to LNB , it don't take much, a noggin can lose your signal best of luck
Old Jun 17th 2012, 12:53 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

It may be that your dish is aligned to the wrong satellite, especially if, as you think, he was not used to doing them.

Also, have you helped "kick start" the sky box into working by chnaing its "boot up frequency" : services, 4, 0, 1, select, 2, 12207, save settings, sky button?

And are you sure that he cabling is all present and correly connected from the dish to the sky box?

When you say your spanish digibox pickup channels, is that a satellite or terrestrial (tv aerial) box?
If the spanish box is connected to the same satellite dish as your sky box, then, unless you have two seperate LNBs aligned properly, your sky box will not work as the dish is pointing towards the wrong satellite for UK TV.

Why did you let him leave if there as no signal and they sysstem not working?
Old Jun 17th 2012, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sakany123
It sends no signal to the Skydigibox but my Spanish digibox receives some channels with poor quality.
I know little or nothing about the Spanish system you are using, but are you saying that both the Spanish box and the Sky digibox access the same satellite signals from the same satellites(s) via the same LNB? If that's the case, it's strange that one can get a signal and the other can't.
Can you access the dish OK? If so, try swapping the aerial leads on the LNB to see if this also swaps the reception between your boxes.
If your trying to access 2 different satellite systems with 2 boxes from the one dish, then you will struggle!
A more detailed explanation of your system would help.
BTW I like your description of the person who attended as a 'technician'. I can think of an alternative word.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

sakany123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies. No, I'm not trying to use both digiboxes at once. When the Sky box didn't work, we tried connecting the Spanish box which partially works. This box picked up all free to air channels in my old place.

No, I can't be sure the cabling is all correct as it is all internal - there are not cables coming thru windows etc. Also can't be sure it's tuned to the right satellite altho he assured me that it was. I can easily get him back but I just wanted to have some suggestions for him when he comes. I'll try to suggest changing the boot up frequency. I would prefer to have a qualified Sky engineer but obviously I'm embrarrassed to tell him he's incompetent and the Community specifically asked me to use him as he installed the cable system in the block (which works very nicely for Spanish TV).

I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 5:57 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Ah. so do i assume your Spanish box is not a Canal+ (spains satellite service) box, but a "generic" free to air box?

Thats where we are getting confused as Canal+ is on two satellites (Astra 19E and Hispasat 30w) not the uK TV satellites,

If your "Spanish box" is picking up some channels, then which channels they are will tell you what satellite your dish is pointing to.

But even then , if this "spanish box" worked fine oin the othre place, and not it is not getting all the channels, then something is amiss, be it dish lalignment, lnb skew, or as you say the dish is bent out of shape.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:18 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

The guy would know better, but our experience is that the cheap no-name FTA boxes seem to be a lot better at reception than most bona-fide brand-name UK "freesat" or Sky boxes.

If you were receiving English UK TV channels (Beebs, ITV, channel 4, channel 5, etc) with the cheap Spanish box (even if the reception wasn't good), then it's probably a dish alignment problem or your dish is too small, and when properly aligned, your Sky box should also work OK.

If you were receiving Spanish channels on your cheap Spanish box, then the guy is right - your dish is pointed at the wrong satellite!