Reload this Page >

sat navs in Spain/ France

sat navs in Spain/ France

Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:14 pm
Costa Blanca lover

BlueChip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: sat navs in Spain/ France

Originally Posted by wilki
Is anyone using or has used a sat nav in spain, or when traveling through france to get to spain.
How did you find them , really helpful or a waste of time.
I always drive down to spain through france, sometimes I miss toll roads other times I seem to land up on the bloody things. there very clearly put there with just the place Im heading, where as the smaller, shall we say A roads I find a nightmare to navigate. And at night I all but give up.
I know people swear by them in the UK, but in spain I have no idea .
thanks
I always plan my long distance European trips using www.viamichelin.com because with that I can work out the exact cost of tolls for each route, but when travelling I always have the Tom Tom on.
The two routes usually coincide once you get going and the Tom Tom gives me warning of speed traps.
One of the biggest benefit of the Tom Tom is when travelling through City's such as Paris as you can devote your attention to the road without havingto worry about reading the signs. Using the peripherique is no problem with a Tom Tom at any time of the day and if for any reason you do miss a turn or exit, the Tom Tom gets you back on the right road without any drama.

The other benefit is the planner when Tom Tom tells you how far and how long to go, itsamazingly accurate and we often arrive at our destination after many hours of travelling within a few minutes of Tom Toms estimate.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:44 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, ours is called Dolly. What's yours called?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Tim! It's a bit like ring tones for mobiles, I have no interest in downloading all that nonsense, I was happy to go with the default voice of "Tim". As my son said after borrowing it to travel around Europe, "I'd have been lost without Tim!"

Last edited by agoreira; Dec 28th 2010 at 8:56 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: sat navs in Spain/ France

Ours came with a voice that sounds like a Channel 4 newsreader so we call her Natasha.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Usually....
That bloody thing!
Closely followed by shut up....turn the thing off.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:23 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

We call our Nagging Nelly because of the comments about speed limits.

Rosemary
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

Would recommend Garmin for Spain, only downside we've found so far is being warned about non-existent speed cameras...
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

I purchased a Sony NV-U70 some four years ago when I was looking for a new house to buy. The man from Carrefour said that it would remind me when new updates were needed and that I could just plug it into my computer and get the downloads. What he didn't tell me was that there was a hefty charge for this. I don't bother, it's not as if they shift villages and towns 50 km away from where they have always been. I only use it once I am approaching the town/city/village I am going to in order to be directed to the address - which is always spot on. It is also very useful for avoiding extensive roadworks if the authority concerned has notified that these are taking place.

One word of caution though - I was once stopped leaving Barajas airport by a very polite Guardia officer who told me that I was committing an offence by having the screen where I, the driver, could see it. I wanted to mention how many people used their mobiles whilst driving but never seem to get stopped but discretion being the better part of valour I resisted. I started to dismantle it from the windscreen but he said no - just turn the screen away from you and listen to the directions.

I call mine Hyacinth - after the Bucket woman. Mind the cyclist Richard.

Last edited by Alectryon; Dec 29th 2010 at 10:30 am.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is known as "recalculating" because she is always saying that Ad nauseam when I choose to vary my route.

I have an Asus Netbook which I take with me for internet use when travelling.
To this I have added Garmin MobileĀ® PC as my Satnav.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=13484
Old Dec 29th 2010, 3:14 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Mine is known as "recalculating" because she is always saying that Ad nauseam when I choose to vary my route.

I have an Asus Netbook which I take with me for internet use when travelling.
To this I have added Garmin MobileĀ® PC as my Satnav.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=13484
I actually feel a bit embarrassed when I go against her advice - like she'll think I'm a bit of an idiot
Old Dec 29th 2010, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

I actually feel a bit embarrassed when I go against her advice - like she'll think I'm a bit of an idiot
My husband and I argue about 'jane's directions. I believe I use common sense. When there is obviously a new connecting road I take it, esp if it has blue motorway directions on it! OH won't go against her directions. I gave in to him last time we were coming back out of Madrid. She is so out of date now she led us of a perfectly good motorway round the back streets of nowhere and eventually into a great tangle of roadworks. cost us an hour or so on our journey in driving rain.
Think he'll listen to me next time though!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by angiescarr
My husband and I argue about 'jane's directions. I believe I use common sense. When there is obviously a new connecting road I take it, esp if it has blue motorway directions on it! OH won't go against her directions. I gave in to him last time we were coming back out of Madrid. She is so out of date now she led us of a perfectly good motorway round the back streets of nowhere and eventually into a great tangle of roadworks. cost us an hour or so on our journey in driving rain.
Think he'll listen to me next time though!
Tom Tom. No real problems; it makes some mistakes but then again I didn't update it in the year I had it.
Didn't I read a few months a go about some guys religiously following the directions and drowned because something happened to the road?
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:23 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

What is in a name?