Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Santander x+***!x

Santander x+***!x

Old Sep 19th 2014, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Santander x+***!x

So we thought we had closed our old account with a branch of Santander in Torrevieja and opened another with the Santander branch in Pinoso. All was well apart from teething troubles with direct debits being transferred.

Then two weeks ago we started receiving phone calls from Santander in Madrid about the account being overdrawn. Looking online there was a whole batch of bank charges to the amount of 118€ against our old account which is still live! The manager in the new branch transferred these over and paid them and once again the old account was closed.

Then this week we transfer over 700€ to the new account, correct IBAN and Swift, but it doesn't arrive. No Santander moved it to the old account and took 118€ from it! So we have now paid these charges twice.

The new manager says it will sort itself out given time Trouble is this was to pay an impending tax bill, now we daren't transfer any more in cast this goes awry as well.

Any advice apart fro lynching the two bank managers?
Old Sep 20th 2014, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Santander x+***!x

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
So we thought we had closed our old account with a branch of Santander in Torrevieja and opened another with the Santander branch in Pinoso. All was well apart from teething troubles with direct debits being transferred.

Then two weeks ago we started receiving phone calls from Santander in Madrid about the account being overdrawn. Looking online there was a whole batch of bank charges to the amount of 118€ against our old account which is still live! The manager in the new branch transferred these over and paid them and once again the old account was closed.

Then this week we transfer over 700€ to the new account, correct IBAN and Swift, but it doesn't arrive. No Santander moved it to the old account and took 118€ from it! So we have now paid these charges twice.

The new manager says it will sort itself out given time Trouble is this was to pay an impending tax bill, now we daren't transfer any more in cast this goes awry as well.

Any advice apart fro lynching the two bank managers?
Sad to say just everyday problems in Spanish banking.Yesterday my banks customer services dept rang me to sort out a DD problem,but then wouldn't go any further because I wouldn't give them my online banking pin (you know,the one they say you must keep secret at all times).My sons non resident account is about to be frozen because they need sight of his passport (and his passport renewal would be held up in the UK backlog).When he asked the bank why they needed to see it,they said "new regulations".When he asked which regulations they might be,they stopped answering his emails.It's a fun country
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:23 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Service seems to depend not only on which bank but on which branch you choose. I would recommend Lloyds in Quesada. Very efficient and helpful manager.

If it is any consolation, I have a similar issue moving my business account from one branch to another in the UK. I have written five letters since April and the issue is still not resolved.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
Sad to say just everyday problems in Spanish banking.Yesterday my banks customer services dept rang me to sort out a DD problem,but then wouldn't go any further because I wouldn't give them my online banking pin (you know,the one they say you must keep secret at all times).My sons non resident account is about to be frozen because they need sight of his passport (and his passport renewal would be held up in the UK backlog).When he asked the bank why they needed to see it,they said "new regulations".When he asked which regulations they might be,they stopped answering his emails.It's a fun country
That almost sounds like it may have been a scammer trying to get your log in information. And not from the bank.

- Eric S.

Last edited by Eric S; Sep 23rd 2014 at 8:22 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I told them on Twitter,so now they are back tracking saying that they only ask for 2 of the 4 numbers in the pin.I think they need to spend a bit more on staff training maybe, because that was not the conversation I had