Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Santandare to Esuri

Santandare to Esuri

Old Apr 21st 2011, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Dave Smith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Santandare to Esuri

I am driving over to Esuri in May, getting the overnight ferry to Santandare. Can anyone recommend the best route down?. I was thinking of an over night on the way down as I have a young darter, who will not like to be in the car for a long duration. Again any recommendations for accommodation mid way would be great. Has anyone driven down the Portugal route, would they recommend it ?. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Santandare to Esuri

For route planning try Bing Maps

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=MMRED...J0b3A9MH4wfjB+

Or Viamichelin

http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Maps

The route down through Portugal would most likely entail the use of Toll roads on which the tolls are almost impossible to pay, there are a number of threads on this forum highlighting the problem.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709700
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Santandare to Esuri

Originally Posted by Dave Smith
I am driving over to Esuri in May, getting the overnight ferry to Santandare. Can anyone recommend the best route down?. I was thinking of an over night on the way down as I have a young darter, who will not like to be in the car for a long duration. Again any recommendations for accommodation mid way would be great. Has anyone driven down the Portugal route, would they recommend it ?. Any help would be appreciated.
Just got back Thursday afternoon from our fourth trip from UK to CE via Santander/Portsmouth.

The 2 trips earlier in the year were on the noonish sailings from both Portsmouth and Santander. Now the sailing are around 5/6pm and that makes a difference for us. The driving time from Santander to CE is 8-9hrs plus food/fuel and wee stops so about 10hrs overall. With the later arrival 18.15 on Thursday we broke the journey in Salamanca arrived about 22.30 and paid 40€ for the night in a good almost new hotel. Big mistake had a drink in the bar and then watched Real Madrid v Barclona so no rush to leave Friday morning got to CE 16.00 hrs. Some friends off the boat drove through the night and were in VRSTo for breakfast.

The route is very straight forward :-

Santander A67 south - Palencia A62 - Vallodolid A66 - past Salamanca, Caceres and Merida - Sevilla A49 west to Ayamonte very good roads all the way high speed but now max 110km/hr no tolls. It is motorway all the way so you have to watch the overhead signs first time around to get the right lanes for the changes but not a real problem. Best of luck!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave Smith
I was thinking of the Portugal route too as I am taking the ferry to Gijon rather than Santander. I've driven from Coimbra to Ayamonte in the past - Coimbra is a wonderful town with the world's oldest university (they claim) and a couple of nice hotels. It's motorway all the way. It would be worth keeping on the motorway until just before Lisbon rather than the direct route towards Faro so you can cross the Vasco Da Gama bridge - which is spectacular. I would also divert to Santiago De Copostela while in that area as it's somewhere I have always wanted to see.

One snag is that Northern Portugal have already introduced the dreaded tolls so you would need to pay those. I believe you can pre-register a foreign car and pay in advance - have a look at the threads on this site and on the Portugal site for more details, including a link to the registration site somewhere.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I was thinking of the Portugal route too as I am taking the ferry to Gijon rather than Santander. I've driven from Coimbra to Ayamonte in the past - Coimbra is a wonderful town with the world's oldest university (they claim) and a couple of nice hotels. It's motorway all the way. It would be worth keeping on the motorway until just before Lisbon rather than the direct route towards Faro so you can cross the Vasco Da Gama bridge - which is spectacular. I would also divert to Santiago De Copostela while in that area as it's somewhere I have always wanted to see.

One snag is that Northern Portugal have already introduced the dreaded tolls so you would need to pay those. I believe you can pre-register a foreign car and pay in advance - have a look at the threads on this site and on the Portugal site for more details, including a link to the registration site somewhere.
Hi Mike,

Thats a route I have been looking at we saw that they were talking about a route from Gijon to Cork which would be great for us once a year do you mean that or were you the one who is looking at the "road bridge" Gijon - St Nazzaire -Roscoff - Portsmouth/Cork? Thats an interesting one and would let us look at another corner of Spain and if I recall you said was cheaper to boot! We would probably still use the Spanish route the roads are just so good overnight in Salamanca at the same gaff has a beautiful view over the River to the Cathedral and the "oldest University in Europe" (so they claim). Then hang a left free roads all the way to Gijon and see the other end of the Picos de Europa.

PS we are soon going to have to get the toll gadget anyway for the A22 down here (is it still August?) so the tolls would not be a problem after that and an overnight in Lisbon is always worthwhile the Bridge the Statue and the old town are just fantastic.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Apr 23rd 2011 at 7:54 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Dave Smith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
For route planning try Bing Maps

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=MMRED...J0b3A9MH4wfjB+

Or Viamichelin

http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Maps

The route down through Portugal would most likely entail the use of Toll roads on which the tolls are almost impossible to pay, there are a number of threads on this forum highlighting the problem.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709700
Thanks for all the info, Fred, Mike and John. All very usefull.

Regards

Dave
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi Mike,

Thats a route I have been looking at we saw that they were talking about a route from Gijon to Cork which would be great for us once a year do you mean that or were you the one who is looking at the "road bridge" Gijon - St Nazzaire -Roscoff - Portsmouth/Cork? Thats an interesting one and would let us look at another corner of Spain and if I recall you said was cheaper to boot! We would probably still use the Spanish route the roads are just so good overnight in Salamanca at the same gaff has a beautiful view over the River to the Cathedral and the "oldest University in Europe" (so they claim). Then hang a left free roads all the way to Gijon and see the other end of the Picos de Europa.

PS we are soon going to have to get the toll gadget anyway for the A22 down here (is it still August?) so the tolls would not be a problem after that and an overnight in Lisbon is always worthwhile the Bridge the Statue and the old town are just fantastic.
The "Land Bridge" route I am using will be Portsmouth to Le Havre (catamaran fast craft) and then St Nazaire to Gijon overnight. I would think you could combine either Cobh/Roscoff or Rosslare/Roscoff or Cherbourg if you wanted to do the Ireland leg. In June it's over £300 cheaper return than Portsmouth/Santander or Bilbao (excluding petrol Le Havre-St Nazaire). I will post when I've done it to let you know how it goes.
Old May 10th 2011, 3:52 am
Just Joined

annie and keith is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello I am new to this forum and this thread caught my eye. Has anyone done the route de la plata through the old roads from Santander to Seville? We are planning to do it some time. Probably taking a week and staying in paradors. have a week or two in Ayamonte and then go back.

Also I have a friend who will be going to Ayamonte and wants to drive through France and Spain to Huelva. Does anyone have experience of this? Is he completely mad or am I missing something?

Keith
Old May 10th 2011, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by annie and keith
Hello I am new to this forum and this thread caught my eye. Has anyone done the route de la plata through the old roads from Santander to Seville? We are planning to do it some time. Probably taking a week and staying in paradors. have a week or two in Ayamonte and then go back.

Also I have a friend who will be going to Ayamonte and wants to drive through France and Spain to Huelva. Does anyone have experience of this? Is he completely mad or am I missing something?

Keith
Our first drive down was MK to Channel Tunnel train to Calais and then down the west route via Le Mans stopping overnight at Pioters on to Burgos overnight and then down to Ayamonte and 36hrs to recover. Next time with 2 full time drivers it was one stop at Irun after atrocious weather in France and then on to Ayamonte and 2 days to get over it all. The first time not all the motorways in both France and Spain were finished so we spent many slow miles on the N630 which is followed most of the way by the the new A66 and A62. At times from the motorway you can see the N road alongside. There are some very nice country hotels on this route not all Paradors so you could put together a nice holiday pace and stay at nice places.
Old May 10th 2011, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Keith
Hi Keith there is a very good website www.manorhouses.com for accommodation in Spain, Portugal and France it includes the Paradores and explains the discounts available. We often stay in Paradores out of season using the offers / discounts which are usually good for the old and decrepit like me.
Old May 10th 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Keith
I've done bits of it on different trips - though I did resort to motorways sometimes. Stayed over in Vitoria - which has a lovely old city - but don't go on a Sunday as it's more-or-less closed (we had to have takeaway pizza as we couldn't find somewhere to eat).
Madrid also has some really nice older areas but probably needs a dedicated visit to do it justice (I've been there many times on business and didn't feel the need to stay there en route)
Toledo is worth a couple of nights, there is a paradore but it's outside the main city and over the river so needs a taxi to get into town. There are a load of paradore-like hotels in Toledo but not many have parking (which could be a nightmare) we stayed a Hotel Pintar el Greco which has underground secure parking, is a converted mill and is next to the El Greco museum - very comfortable and a reasonable price - 5 mins (brisk walk) from the cathedral.
Cordoba is also worth an overnight stop with half day siteseeing.
I've also stayed in Valencia and Barcelona but they're probably a bit off your track - it's a great route if you want to drive over the Milau viaduct in France on the way to/from Calais.