British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Santa Margarita Costa Del Sol (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/santa-margarita-costa-del-sol-934762/)

ecoera Sep 11th 2020 8:49 am

Santa Margarita Costa Del Sol

Does any members have any experience of the Santa Margarita area of the Costa Del Sol. Can you say what amenities are available there and nearby, such as shops, petrol, restaurants etc. Much appreciated.

Loafing Along Sep 13th 2020 6:06 pm

Re: Santa Margarita Costa Del Sol

Originally Posted by ecoera (Post 12908634)
Does any members have any experience of the Santa Margarita area of the Costa Del Sol. Can you say what amenities are available there and nearby, such as shops, petrol, restaurants etc. Much appreciated.

Very pleasant part of Marbella although some way from the centre. Pleasant way down to the beach and the coastal walk , good chiringuitos and terraces . To shop will need a car to carry any quantity of goods, but along the road into town will find all the amenties you need, some good restaurants, pharmacy, supermarket,

Fredbargate Sep 13th 2020 9:12 pm

The only Santa Margarita I know is on the outskirts of La Línea de la Concepción next to Gibraltar

ecoera Sep 14th 2020 10:51 am

Yep, that's the one.

ecoera Sep 14th 2020 11:05 am

Could someone help with how you apply for a child to be registered with a Spanish state school please. We will be living outside of La Linea and probably will find a school there. I notice on the Ministry of Education search tool that there are bilingual state schools there.

Loafing Along Sep 14th 2020 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12909556)
The only Santa Margarita I know is on the outskirts of La Línea de la Concepción next to Gibraltar

So there are 2 ! Obviously I did not know there is one near Gibralter and refered to the Marbella district . Just for verification Postal Code : 29602

Moses2013 Sep 14th 2020 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Loafing Along (Post 12909771)
So there are 2 ! Obviously I did not know there is one near Gibralter and refered to the Marbella district . Just for verification Postal Code : 29602

https://santamargaritaspain.com/en/

Joppa Sep 14th 2020 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by ecoera (Post 12909758)
Could someone help with how you apply for a child to be registered with a Spanish state school please. We will be living outside of La Linea and probably will find a school there. I notice on the Ministry of Education search tool that there are bilingual state schools there.

The parent(s) and the child all need residency and to be on padron at the local town hall.

ecoera Sep 14th 2020 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Joppa (Post 12909802)
The parent(s) and the child all need residency and to be on padron at the local town hall.

Can that be applied for before moving over there?

ecoera Sep 14th 2020 2:58 pm

The padrón is a register of everyone who lives in a municipality, including minors who aren't entitled to vote.

Fredbargate Sep 14th 2020 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by ecoera (Post 12908634)

OK will try my best. I have never really been into this urbanisation although many years ago I used to drive through it to avoid traffic jams on the main road. Therefore I have no knowledge of facilities in there.
However Starting at the exit to the main road by road
1) Petrol 1.6 kms
2) Super markets Maxi Dia 3 kms Carrefour 5.3 kms
3) Hospital New 4.4 kms
4) Centre of La Linea 6.2 kms
5) Gibraltar 7.5 kms

All measurements from Bing Maps

There is a local bus LC-3 to and from bus station in the centre of La Linea near the fontier. This passes through Santa Margarita on it's way to Alcadesa but I cannot at the moment find a timetable
La Linea is well served with bars and restaurants as you would expect with a population of 65,000

If you are British then Gibraltar has a Morrisons supermaret Marks & Sparks, Debenhams etc + many more.

Fred James Sep 14th 2020 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12909556)

Isn’t La Linea the drug capital of Spain where the police don’t even dare to enter some areas?

I can’t say I would want to live anywhere near the place.

Moses2013 Sep 14th 2020 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12909908)
Isn’t La Linea the drug capital of Spain where the police don’t even dare to enter some areas?

I can’t say I would want to live anywhere near the place.

Always had a bad reputation and in news again. Other problems these days are migrants and okupas in area but drug situation a bit better. You'll always get Brits looking for cheaper options across the border from Gibraltar but many don't seem to stay long
https://www.thesun.ie/news/5894003/n...s-drugs-spain/

Fredbargate Sep 14th 2020 8:34 pm

The drug trade appears to be moving away from La Linea itself due to the recent higher police activity, not before time.
However whilst La Linea itself has always had a bad reputation ( from brothels for the Royal Navy.to drugs etc,) due to high unemployment bought on by the frontier closure in 1969, the satallite villages have had better.reputations.
I believe most drug trafficking now takes place along the Costa de la Luz and into Portugal.Also up the Costa de Sol. These are the areas with less police activity around this problem, possibly as the authorities do not expect small boats to travel so far.
La Linea is now also starting to prosper from employment possibilities in Gibraltar but it's hard to shake off easy money and do a full days work, but will this continue after Brexit?

https://www.gbc.gi/news/guardia-civi...rug-ring-campo

The port of Algeciras with it's massive container terminals is subject to the more organised crime.