Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sanitas Network in Northern Galicia

Sanitas Network in Northern Galicia

Old Sep 6th 2010, 2:03 pm
Living in NW Galicia

Brano77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sanitas Network in Northern Galicia

Is there anyone living in the Santiago de Compostela or La Coruna areas of Galicia who has experience of the local Sanitas facilities/medical network?
Old Sep 6th 2010, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice
Default Re: Sanitas Network in Northern Galicia

As long as it's in cities you have plenty to choose from and no problems, small towns and rural areas is different.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 2:40 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

What do you want to know, I have the network directory here
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:38 pm
Living in NW Galicia

We actualy live in a village about 60 km form both Santiago and Coruna. There is a Sanitas "Family Doctor" not far from us who we have used. He speaks no English and whilst we are trying hard with our Spanish/Gallego you can imagine there is often amusement during discussions, if we have cause to see him. On a more serious note, misunderstandings could be significant problem.

I have been in contact with Sanitas to ask for the names of GP's who speak English in our area. Whilst we have been given some names, the nearest in Coruna, the ones we have contacted speak English as fluently as I do Gallego!

The hope of my original question was that someone may know a GP (Sanitas affiliated) who can speak a reasonable level of English such that if I discussed a problem with an ingrowing toenail I would not end up having a vasectomy. hm
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

Ah, ok. You didn't mention that in the first post. I think it's going to be difficult to find one, I'm afraid. But not only in the Sanitas network, anywhere really. There might be someone, but probably far from where you live.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 5:00 pm
Living in NW Galicia

Thanks Siesta. Ironically there is a doctor at the local Centro de Saude who does speak good English but of course he is not Sanitas.

I approached Sanitas explaining that there is clearly a problem for us because of geography and could we use the local doctor in the "State System". Their reply was that no exceptions could be made under the Health Plan Classic policy.

Our nearest Sanitas Accident and Emergency facility is likewise in Coruna. Sanitas said we must always call the Emergency Number and if it was felt appropriate we could go to the local state A&E.

We have therefore decided to remain well and have no accidents until we can join the Spanish system in approx 3 years!

Meanwhile we will keep paying the premiums - it may be poor value for money given our location but better safe than sorry.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 5:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brano77
The hope of my original question was that someone may know a GP (Sanitas affiliated) who can speak a reasonable level of English such that if I discussed a problem with an ingrowing toenail I would not end up having a vasectomy. hm
You didnt see my post then?

I have the Sanitas directory
It tells you which languages the different doctors speak
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:09 pm
Living in NW Galicia

Sorry Mitzy! I did not know that information was in the directory. I have tried in the past to find the info on the website as there appears to be facility to search on language spoken but it never seems to work for me.

How can I get hold of a copy of the directory you mention?

Thanks
Old Sep 7th 2010, 7:48 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Brano77
Sorry Mitzy! I did not know that information was in the directory. I have tried in the past to find the info on the website as there appears to be facility to search on language spoken but it never seems to work for me.

How can I get hold of a copy of the directory you mention?

Thanks
By joining Sanitas
In fact, checking through it is limited to areas, so I dont have names for Santiago
But the number to call I believe is 902 400 232, and thats Sanitas Customer Services
Old Sep 7th 2010, 8:32 am
Living in NW Galicia

Thanks Mitzy.I'll give them a bell.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 10:22 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

We are neighbours here in Asturias and we have the same problem. None of the Sanitas doctors speak English (that I have come across).

The directory we have of Asturias does not provide details of the languages they speak. When we moved here from the South, I did ask santias if any speak English here and was told no they don´t. Bit of a difference to the South.

The directory we had when we lived in the South, did have details of all the languages..and you could find an English speaking doctor easily.

However up here in the North..I think you would be best to contact them all - probably the largest centre in the capital...and ask if any speak English.

It is sure to be a lengthly task but it would be worth it in the end to know of someone you could communicate well with.

Last edited by manamama; Sep 7th 2010 at 10:27 am.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I think the British must be the only nationality in the world who will move to another country and then expect the doctors to speak English to them, even if they are private. Imagine the reverse situation in the UK!

If there is no alternative, ask your local language school, they may be willing to provide an interpretor for a reasonable hourly cost.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 11:44 am
Living in NW Galicia

We don't expect the doctors to speak English but it seems only sensible to use one who does if available! There are of course ways around the problem.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 11:45 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cricketman
I think the British must be the only nationality in the world who will move to another country and then expect the doctors to speak English to them, even if they are private. Imagine the reverse situation in the UK!

If there is no alternative, ask your local language school, they may be willing to provide an interpretor for a reasonable hourly cost.
Listen...when you pay private for healthcare with a company who markets for British clients, you do hope that they provide English speaking doctors.

We didn´t expect it, but hoped for...

Got any advice other than criticism?
Old Sep 7th 2010, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama
Listen...when you pay private for healthcare with a company who markets for British clients, you do hope that they provide English speaking doctors.

We didn´t expect it, but hoped for...

Got any advice other than criticism?
I provided some advice, see below...

"If there is no alternative, ask your local language school, they may be willing to provide an interpretor for a reasonable hourly cost."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.