Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

San Francisco crash landing

San Francisco crash landing

Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:46 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Francisco crash landing

Great stuff on here Dom.
Much of it way over my head.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...ncisco-60.html

Professional Airline Pilots own forum, some of them actually Triple7 pilots discussing the accident.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic but relevant

http://news.sky.com/story/1114218/pi...landing-at-sea
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:16 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Great stuff on here Dom.
Much of it way over my head.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...ncisco-60.html

Professional Airline Pilots own forum, some of them actually Triple7 pilots discussing the accident.
yes, very interesting from the people who know
worries me that I understood nearly all of it, I hate flying

in this instance the NAS people have actually go the pilots to talk to rather than just their voices on the cockpit black box - but it seems the cockpit may have been a little crowded and it sounds like a case of too many chiefs and not enough indians with more gold braid up there than at a meeting of admirals.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:18 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
some out there will slam me rather than you for it being off-topic Fred, so I will say that it is one of the very few First's that have not been by the RN

`
Old Jul 10th 2013, 11:46 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I wonder when the first pilotless airliner will be carrying passengers ?

Also wonder how the passengers will feel about it ?

I saw it mentioned in the professional pilots forum somewhere, though not exactly great news for them if it ever happens.

On the one hand I suppose it's feasible and technically possible for computers to control virtually everything from take off to landing.
Yet for all the inbuilt computer systems etc.lots of planes still get into trouble apart from the handful that keep crashing and still need crew to sort the problems out or on a few occasions unfortunately make matters worse.

Many of the more experienced pilots on that forum complain that the newer guys are simply trained to be computer operators and if it ever comes to flying by the seat of their pants, they're in big trouble.

Lots of problems and mishaps that occur now are the result of issues with the complex computer systems or pilot error as a result of failure to understand them and compensate correctly when they malfunction.

Personally I'll always be happier with a pilot or better still two up front.
I'd also feel a sight more comfortable knowing that if the computer systems all go pear shaped the plane can still be flown with a basic old fashioned joystick and throttle etc.rather than Airbus fly by wire style.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:01 am
On the road again.

http://gizmodo.com/boeing-787-dreaml...gain-756147878

Oh dear yet another 787 Dreamliner fire.

Looks like they're rapidly turning into a Nightmare liner for Boeing and I don't imagine the punters will be queuing up to fly in them now either, I know I certainly wouldn't be.

......and a second one with a problem the same day.
Not good for Thompson holidays either.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Jul 12th 2013 at 7:06 am. Reason: add on
Old Jul 13th 2013, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
http://gizmodo.com/boeing-787-dreaml...gain-756147878

Oh dear yet another 787 Dreamliner fire.

Looks like they're rapidly turning into a Nightmare liner for Boeing and I don't imagine the punters will be queuing up to fly in them now either, I know I certainly wouldn't be.

......and a second one with a problem the same day.
Not good for Thompson holidays either.
do they still employ the guy/gal who came up with the name Dreamliner

seems more like Nightmareliner

anyone got any good batteries to send to Boeing
Old Jul 13th 2013, 8:08 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem....

Old Jul 13th 2013, 8:59 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Ahem, yes,I posted that last night under the topic "unbelievable hoax".

Truly amazing how no one picked up on it before it was broadcast.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 9:38 am
On the road again.

According to the news Boeing executives are breathing a sigh of relief because the Heathrow Dreamliner fire didn't involve a battery.

According to feedback from the prof. pilots forum they actually have a much more serious problem.

The outer skin of the aircraft is constructed of a material similar to that which was banned from use inside of aircraft after the Manchester disaster and others.
It is said to be 4 times more flammable than the standard aluminium skin.
The highly toxic fumes from it could incapacitate or kill passengers in little more than a matter of seconds.

In addition the top half of the body has no adequate fire protection as recommended by one of the designers, hence the rapid burn through, which would likely have been fatal at altitude causing total and rapid decompression.
Unlike in the Airbus of similar construction there is no option to replace the Li batteries with something safer, so apparently they've encased them all in heavy metal boxes, partly defeating the whole object of what the plane is all about, ....lightweight.

Another problem is body repair which can't be simply fixed with an aluminium patch as in the traditional type of construction.
Opinions vary regarding wether it is safe to patch it at all or best to completely write the body off.

Oh,one other thing.
Quite a few pilots expressed the view that there is no way they would ever fly in one !

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Jul 13th 2013 at 9:44 am. Reason: add on