Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

samsung tv for iplayer in spain

samsung tv for iplayer in spain

Old Apr 12th 2014, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Manclass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default samsung tv for iplayer in spain

I believe Samsung smart TV's are the best for receiving UK iplayer, does this apply to all Samsung smart TV's or are certain Samsung models better and if so which models are they?
Thank you advance.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 8:45 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: samsung tv for iplayer in spain

The F series models can all be modified to receive the UK apps including all 4 catchup services.

http://support.unblock-us.com/custom...p-store-change

To be able to access these sites you will need a Smart DNS service which can easily be installed on the TV or a VPN router.

Last edited by Fred James; Apr 12th 2014 at 8:48 am.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Manclass is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much Fred, that is so helpful..
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

sparkyinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Fred, I've been looking for this since I bought a samsung smart tv in January.
Old May 1st 2014, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
The F series models can all be modified to receive the UK apps including all 4 catchup services.

http://support.unblock-us.com/custom...p-store-change

To be able to access these sites you will need a Smart DNS service which can easily be installed on the TV or a VPN router.
This might be just what Im looking for! Many thanks! If we buy the TV in the UK before we emigrate I guess its already setup for the UK apps? Then itd just be this Smart DNS mallarky. Could someone point me in the right direction to find out about how I install a "Smart DNS" service on the TV? Thanks again.

Mike
Old May 1st 2014, 11:40 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Here's how you do it.

http://support.unblock-us.com/custom...ith-unblock-us
Old May 1st 2014, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Yes, the best thing is to buy it in UK. Then its all set up for UK catchup and all you need is VPN.
Old May 1st 2014, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Yes, the best thing is to buy it in UK. Then its all set up for UK catchup and all you need is VPN.
Are you sure? I would buy in Europe and change the app store to UK. If you buy in UK it is locked down and won't work with smart DNS. VPN uses lots of unnecessary bandwith for watching tv.
Old May 1st 2014, 3:59 pm

You could be right Olivia. I contacted Samsung about the whole question and they said that they have had instances of UK supplied sets not working with a VPN or presumably Smart DNS.

It may be a one off or user finger trouble, but I would be careful.

As I have said, it does work on Spanish sets converted to UK apps.

TV's in Spain are no more expensive than in the UK if you shop around. Often they can be cheaper.
Old May 1st 2014, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

You could be right Olivia. I contacted Samsung about the whole question and they said that they have had instances of UK supplied sets not working with a VPN or presumably Smart DNS.

It may be a one off or user finger trouble, but I would be careful.

As I have said, it does work on Spanish sets converted to UK apps.

TV's in Spain are no more expensive than in the UK if you shop around. Often they can be cheaper.
It was one of the Smart DNS providers who advertise on here that have it quite clearly stated on their site NOT to bring a samsung smart tv from the UK because the apps are locked down. I don't know about VPN. We don't need that level of internet security just to watch tv.
Old May 1st 2014, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivia
It was one of the Smart DNS providers who advertise on here that have it quite clearly stated on their site NOT to bring a samsung smart tv from the UK because the apps are locked down. I don't know about VPN. We don't need that level of internet security just to watch tv.
I appreciate the clarification. Ill be leaving it till we get there then!
Old May 1st 2014, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by t2uds
I appreciate the clarification. Ill be leaving it till we get there then!
Bookmark Freds post 6. It is clear and spot on for changing apps to UK and buy a F series samsung in Spain. I have been sucessful changing apps on mine so has Fred.
Old May 1st 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by olivia
I don't know about VPN. We don't need that level of internet security just to watch tv.
You're right. It's overkill just to watch TV and you will lose at least 20% of your connection speed, possibly more.

Smart DNS is a much better solution and can be used with almost any device and is usually slightly cheaper than a VPN.

There are, however, some sites that cannot be accessed without a VPN.
Old May 1st 2014, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

You're right. It's overkill just to watch TV and you will lose at least 20% of your connection speed, possibly more.

Smart DNS is a much better solution and can be used with almost any device and is usually slightly cheaper than a VPN.

There are, however, some sites that cannot be accessed without a VPN.
Given the choice again I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy a Smart TV. I would get a new TV with hdmi connection and dedicate a laptop to it with 'Smarty DNS' there are far more unblocked channels for 'windows' than anything else. We watched the football on 'sky go' last night from the laptop with smarty DNS using the TV as a projector. It doesn't need to be a Smart TV for that. However they are only about 80 euros more for Smart so why not get one.
Old May 1st 2014, 8:47 pm

I have tried pretty well all the options but I have found the most reliable (little or no buffering) to be BBC iPlayer on the Samsung Smart TV and the quality of the picture (we only have a 2.5mb connection) is better than any other stream I have seen. Theoretically it shouldn't be that good but for some reason it is.

Well done BBC!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.