Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Safety Film for Windows

Safety Film for Windows

Old Dec 19th 2014, 7:33 pm
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Safety Film for Windows

In the UK it is easy to buy safety film to put on windows or glass so it won't shatter all over the place. In offices it is often used for blast protection and in the home to make glass panels safer for children or pets. It has a peel off back then applied to the glass with water and once dry is all but invisible get offers a high degree of protection.

Although I can get it in the UK I can't seem to find a supply of it here in Spain - perhaps partly because I have no idea what it is called! Does anyone know what it's called here and from where it can be bought?
Old Dec 19th 2014, 7:46 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Safety Film for Windows

Originally Posted by Joddle
In the UK it is easy to buy safety film to put on windows or glass so it won't shatter all over the place. In offices it is often used for blast protection and in the home to make glass panels safer for children or pets. It has a peel off back then applied to the glass with water and once dry is all but invisible get offers a high degree of protection.

Although I can get it in the UK I can't seem to find a supply of it here in Spain - perhaps partly because I have no idea what it is called! Does anyone know what it's called here and from where it can be bought?
I have no idea what it's called either.

We needed some film to obscure a bathroom window to stop the neighbours looking in! Whilst not what you're looking for it may serve the same purpose - it came in all styles including clear.

We got ours from a local ferreteria.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 7:51 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Snikpoh beat me to it. We bought ours from a ferreteria too and I think that it would work in the same way because if the glass was broken it would stay in place on the plastic covering. Again I do not know what it is called.

Rosemary
Old Dec 19th 2014, 7:57 pm
Josh in Spain

Thanks folks - I will pop down to my local ferreteria today and see if they have any - if not then on to Leroy Merlin, however the obsured stuff is not going to be any good for me - I do need the totally clear variety. On Ebay I can get some shipped here for about £10 for two rolls but the mail always takes about three weeks to get here for some odd reason and it could get damaged so prefer a local supply if possible.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 7:58 pm
Josh in Spain

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I have no idea what it's called either.

We needed some film to obscure a bathroom window to stop the neighbours looking in! Whilst not what you're looking for it may serve the same purpose - it came in all styles including clear.

We got ours from a local ferreteria.
Was the stuff you got the type which had a peel off back then applied to the glass with water?
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:01 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joddle
Was the stuff you got the type which had a peel off back then applied to the glass with water?
Mine was done in this way and it is still going strong after 7 years and the colours are still good. My ferreteria definitely did clear although the majority of people want it to obscure vision so they stock a lot of different patterns and colours so the clear may well be tucked a little out of sight or may even not be on display so it will pay you to ask.

Rosemary
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:08 pm
Josh in Spain

Many thanks Rosemary - off out now to see what I can get - will update the thread later.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

The film used to tint car windows is similar. You can get it in light shades but not sure about clear. Just another suggestion.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 10:38 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

How old is your property?

Most (if not all?) modern properties are fitted with toughened glass to comply with EU Regulation. Toughened glass is heat treated so that is does not shatter on impact. You may find this interesting > safety glass, double glazing, toughened, laminated, BS 6262 We Install BS EN12150 Compliant Replacement Safety Glass Units

If you check your windows may be identified with the appropriate standard e.g. EN12150 or equivalent.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 11:17 pm
Josh in Spain

Originally Posted by missile
How old is your property?

Most (if not all?) modern properties are fitted with toughened glass to comply with EU Regulation. Toughened glass is heat treated so that is does not shatter on impact. You may find this interesting > safety glass, double glazing, toughened, laminated, BS 6262 We Install BS EN12150 Compliant Replacement Safety Glass Units

If you check your windows may be identified with the appropriate standard e.g. EN12150 or equivalent.
Thanks - but the glass I want to cover is certainly not toughened - its pretty old and acid etched in a large door and would cost a fourtune to replace and also I need to ensure little children or pets cant put thier little hands or paws straight through it!

Last edited by Joddle; Dec 20th 2014 at 12:53 am.