Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Old May 24th 2021, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Originally Posted by DLC
When you say euro IBAN you mean a non-Spanish IBAN?

Many Spanish companies can't set up direct debits with non-Spanish IBANs even though in theory (and the law says) it should be possible.
The euro bank that Wise uses is in Brussels, so a Belgian IBAN. Wise will also assist in ensuring recalcitrant Spanish companies accept the IBAN.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Bobley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
I use Moneycorp and they now all transfers via Ireland.
I've just done my annual dump into sabadell using Moneycorp and it all just happened in seconds, no fees showing.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 7:45 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Got a question about setting up a bank account in order to apply for residency.

My wife is an EU citizen so she will apply first (she already has a NIE), whereas I will follow some weeks later (unfortunately they don't want to give me the NIE earlier).

How do we go about a joint bank account? Do we set one up for non-residents and then convert it once both of us have residency?
Old Sep 10th 2021, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Bobley is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you spoke to them in the phone. My fixer got then to ring me and the whole process was super slick. I bet they'd cut you a deal if they knew you were going for residency.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 9:47 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera

My wife is an EU citizen so she will apply first (she already has a NIE), whereas I will follow some weeks later (unfortunately they don't want to give me the NIE earlier).

How do we go about a joint bank account? Do we set one up for non-residents and then convert it once both of us have residency?

(1) You can get an NIE for any number of reasons so don't be fobbed off. However, if you state you will be applying for residency, they like you to gen an NIE at the same time as residency.

(2) Any bank will allow you to have a joint account. However, you can NOT have one account holder being resident and the other not. I would suggest having two separate accounts for a variety of reasons. If you open a non-residents joint account, then when you are BOTH residents, it can be converted toa a residents account. Some banks need you to have a different account number so be aware.

(3) As residents, there are many online accounts which are FREE (simply NO fees).
Old Sep 10th 2021, 10:04 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
(1) You can get an NIE for any number of reasons so don't be fobbed off.

(2) I would suggest having two separate accounts for a variety of reasons.
What are some of the easiest reasons to state in order to get a NIE? I'll try 2-3 of them simultaneously to make sure I don't get turned back (just off the top of my head I would like to buy a car soon).

It is beneficial for a married couple to use separate accounts? Do transfers between them get caught up in tax-related red tape due to them being treated as gifting for instance?
Old Sep 10th 2021, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need the NIE to open a bank account here, we did so a few years ago and it was easy. You will of course get a Non residents account first which can easily be swapped over once you have your TIE.

Joint accounts are easy, you just both go together and open the account (we ended up with separate ones only because I opened mine a couple of years before the wife did)

With regard to accounts we have just had a small welcome surprise. We swapped from the non res account in Santander to the One account which has a monthly fee of €20 (wait for it).
But by transferring a minimum of €600 a month into the accounts and having a couple of DD and using the card more than 10 times a month the fee is waived (so I move €600 ish from the Uk in month 1) and then all we do is swap that €600 between accounts every month (I put pension transfer as the reason). And I was told to do this by the branch staff (the computer system monitors the usage, it don't care where the money comes from/goes to)

But here is the surprise. On the 1st of September, Santander put €100 in each of our accounts as a bonus for fulfilling the account requirements. So not only do we get free banking we also got €100 from the bank for doing so. (ok will have to tell the tax man about this) but well something for nothing...
Old Sep 10th 2021, 3:54 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

What are some of the easiest reasons to state in order to get a NIE? I'll try 2-3 of them simultaneously to make sure I don't get turned back (just off the top of my head I would like to buy a car soon).

It is beneficial for a married couple to use separate accounts? Do transfers between them get caught up in tax-related red tape due to them being treated as gifting for instance?
The easiest reason is buying a car or phone.

Many (most?) Spanish have separate accounts for a number of very good reasons, not least of which is when someone dies!
Old Sep 21st 2021, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

TicTac111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I somewhere have read here that some of you have kept a UK bank account because the fees of the Spanish banks are quite high (shame can't find the thread anymore) . I was wondering if you can keep a UK bank account with a Spanish address?
Old Sep 21st 2021, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is no problem I have done it for over 20 years - I would never advise closing a UK account, always useful for receiving pensions, and have a few quid in there for UK visits.

Spanish bank account charges can be avoided - ask at your bank for their terms and conditions.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TicTac111
Hi,
I somewhere have read here that some of you have kept a UK bank account because the fees of the Spanish banks are quite high (shame can't find the thread anymore) . I was wondering if you can keep a UK bank account with a Spanish address?
Does depend on the bank some allow some don’t ….. alternatively HSBC do offer an expat account or look at Wise or Revolut (or another online bank) that give you the best of many worlds depending on your circumstances.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Definitely depends on the bank, NatWest no problem. They even send security code for transactions to a Spanish mobile

Last edited by Loafing Along; Sep 21st 2021 at 2:10 pm. Reason: Added text
Old Sep 21st 2021, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I have kept my account with First Direct for the past 15 years with no problems, they send new debit cards to my Spanish address whenever they are replaced. I didn't keep the account because of high Spanish bank charges but primarily because my former employer's pension scheme and my SIPP provider will only make payments into UK bank accounts. As Spainrico said it is also handy to have to draw cash and pay for things in sterling when visiting the UK.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

That is great thank you so much you've made my day :-) I'm with Halifax and Barclays, so will ask there. Have also a clarity card from Halifax think would be also good if I could keep it I'll see. I've read here a lot regarding Wise and I'll get there an account to make any transfers. Seems I can give the "Sort out bank" on my to do list a tick.

Thanks a lot
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Ah can't give it a tick yet because there is one other question. How do you pay your bills like water, internet, electricity? Can you arrange direct debit so it goes from your English account?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.