Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Old May 24th 2021, 7:24 pm
  #106  
BE Enthusiast
 
stevesainty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Torrevieja Costa Blanca South
Posts: 371
stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Originally Posted by DLC View Post
When you say euro IBAN you mean a non-Spanish IBAN?

Many Spanish companies can't set up direct debits with non-Spanish IBANs even though in theory (and the law says) it should be possible.
The euro bank that Wise uses is in Brussels, so a Belgian IBAN. Wise will also assist in ensuring recalcitrant Spanish companies accept the IBAN.
stevesainty is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2021, 8:04 pm
  #107  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 4
Bobley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Originally Posted by Fred James View Post
I use Moneycorp and they now all transfers via Ireland.
I've just done my annual dump into sabadell using Moneycorp and it all just happened in seconds, no fees showing.
Bobley is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2021, 7:45 pm
  #108  
Last resort... format c:/
 
astera's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife!
Posts: 1,425
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Got a question about setting up a bank account in order to apply for residency.

My wife is an EU citizen so she will apply first (she already has a NIE), whereas I will follow some weeks later (unfortunately they don't want to give me the NIE earlier).

How do we go about a joint bank account? Do we set one up for non-residents and then convert it once both of us have residency?
astera is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2021, 5:54 am
  #109  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 4
Bobley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Have you spoke to them in the phone. My fixer got then to ring me and the whole process was super slick. I bet they'd cut you a deal if they knew you were going for residency.
Bobley is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2021, 9:47 am
  #110  
Retired and loving it!
 
snikpoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontinyent - Valencia region (campo)
Posts: 4,979
snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Originally Posted by astera View Post
Got a question about setting up a bank account in order to apply for residency.

My wife is an EU citizen so she will apply first (she already has a NIE), whereas I will follow some weeks later (unfortunately they don't want to give me the NIE earlier).

How do we go about a joint bank account? Do we set one up for non-residents and then convert it once both of us have residency?

(1) You can get an NIE for any number of reasons so don't be fobbed off. However, if you state you will be applying for residency, they like you to gen an NIE at the same time as residency.

(2) Any bank will allow you to have a joint account. However, you can NOT have one account holder being resident and the other not. I would suggest having two separate accounts for a variety of reasons. If you open a non-residents joint account, then when you are BOTH residents, it can be converted toa a residents account. Some banks need you to have a different account number so be aware.

(3) As residents, there are many online accounts which are FREE (simply NO fees).
snikpoh is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2021, 10:04 am
  #111  
Last resort... format c:/
 
astera's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife!
Posts: 1,425
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Originally Posted by snikpoh View Post
(1) You can get an NIE for any number of reasons so don't be fobbed off.

(2) I would suggest having two separate accounts for a variety of reasons.
What are some of the easiest reasons to state in order to get a NIE? I'll try 2-3 of them simultaneously to make sure I don't get turned back (just off the top of my head I would like to buy a car soon).

It is beneficial for a married couple to use separate accounts? Do transfers between them get caught up in tax-related red tape due to them being treated as gifting for instance?
astera is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2021, 1:26 pm
  #112  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 653
Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Originally Posted by astera View Post
Got a question about setting up a bank account in order to apply for residency.

My wife is an EU citizen so she will apply first (she already has a NIE), whereas I will follow some weeks later (unfortunately they don't want to give me the NIE earlier).

How do we go about a joint bank account? Do we set one up for non-residents and then convert it once both of us have residency?
You don't need the NIE to open a bank account here, we did so a few years ago and it was easy. You will of course get a Non residents account first which can easily be swapped over once you have your TIE.

Joint accounts are easy, you just both go together and open the account (we ended up with separate ones only because I opened mine a couple of years before the wife did)

With regard to accounts we have just had a small welcome surprise. We swapped from the non res account in Santander to the One account which has a monthly fee of €20 (wait for it).
But by transferring a minimum of €600 a month into the accounts and having a couple of DD and using the card more than 10 times a month the fee is waived (so I move €600 ish from the Uk in month 1) and then all we do is swap that €600 between accounts every month (I put pension transfer as the reason). And I was told to do this by the branch staff (the computer system monitors the usage, it don't care where the money comes from/goes to)

But here is the surprise. On the 1st of September, Santander put €100 in each of our accounts as a bonus for fulfilling the account requirements. So not only do we get free banking we also got €100 from the bank for doing so. (ok will have to tell the tax man about this) but well something for nothing...
Barriej is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2021, 3:54 pm
  #113  
Retired and loving it!
 
snikpoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontinyent - Valencia region (campo)
Posts: 4,979
snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Originally Posted by astera View Post
What are some of the easiest reasons to state in order to get a NIE? I'll try 2-3 of them simultaneously to make sure I don't get turned back (just off the top of my head I would like to buy a car soon).

It is beneficial for a married couple to use separate accounts? Do transfers between them get caught up in tax-related red tape due to them being treated as gifting for instance?
The easiest reason is buying a car or phone.

Many (most?) Spanish have separate accounts for a number of very good reasons, not least of which is when someone dies!
snikpoh is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2021, 10:58 am
  #114  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 72
TicTac111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Hi,
I somewhere have read here that some of you have kept a UK bank account because the fees of the Spanish banks are quite high (shame can't find the thread anymore) . I was wondering if you can keep a UK bank account with a Spanish address?
TicTac111 is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2021, 11:19 am
  #115  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Costa Blanca
Posts: 2,416
spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Yes that is no problem I have done it for over 20 years - I would never advise closing a UK account, always useful for receiving pensions, and have a few quid in there for UK visits.

Spanish bank account charges can be avoided - ask at your bank for their terms and conditions.
spainrico is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2021, 11:39 am
  #116  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 410
UKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Originally Posted by TicTac111 View Post
Hi,
I somewhere have read here that some of you have kept a UK bank account because the fees of the Spanish banks are quite high (shame can't find the thread anymore) . I was wondering if you can keep a UK bank account with a Spanish address?
Does depend on the bank some allow some don’t ….. alternatively HSBC do offer an expat account or look at Wise or Revolut (or another online bank) that give you the best of many worlds depending on your circumstances.
UKMS is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2021, 2:08 pm
  #117  
BE Forum Addict
 
Loafing Along's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,213
Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Originally Posted by TicTac111 View Post
Hi,
I somewhere have read here that some of you have kept a UK bank account because the fees of the Spanish banks are quite high (shame can't find the thread anymore) . I was wondering if you can keep a UK bank account with a Spanish address?
Definitely depends on the bank, NatWest no problem. They even send security code for transactions to a Spanish mobile

Last edited by Loafing Along; Sep 21st 2021 at 2:10 pm. Reason: Added text
Loafing Along is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2021, 2:18 pm
  #118  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Velez-Malaga
Posts: 4,219
Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Originally Posted by TicTac111 View Post
Hi,
I somewhere have read here that some of you have kept a UK bank account because the fees of the Spanish banks are quite high (shame can't find the thread anymore) . I was wondering if you can keep a UK bank account with a Spanish address?
I have kept my account with First Direct for the past 15 years with no problems, they send new debit cards to my Spanish address whenever they are replaced. I didn't keep the account because of high Spanish bank charges but primarily because my former employer's pension scheme and my SIPP provider will only make payments into UK bank accounts. As Spainrico said it is also handy to have to draw cash and pay for things in sterling when visiting the UK.
Lynn R is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:25 pm
  #119  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 72
TicTac111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

That is great thank you so much you've made my day :-) I'm with Halifax and Barclays, so will ask there. Have also a clarity card from Halifax think would be also good if I could keep it I'll see. I've read here a lot regarding Wise and I'll get there an account to make any transfers. Seems I can give the "Sort out bank" on my to do list a tick.

Thanks a lot
TicTac111 is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:34 pm
  #120  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 72
TicTac111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Ah can't give it a tick yet because there is one other question. How do you pay your bills like water, internet, electricity? Can you arrange direct debit so it goes from your English account?
TicTac111 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.