Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Old Nov 5th 2022, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sabadell now charging to receive payment from UK

Originally Posted by jackteet
Hi, forgive me for butting in here only not sure if your question has been answered. I think all UK banks will close accounts once they know you are moving to Spain. Simply move to spain and retain an address in the UK, friend or family member. Dont tell bank that you have left the uk.
Not all but many will as a result of Brexit and licences. As in my post above, 2 I know that do allow you to hold UK bank accounts certainly current accounts are HSBC and Santander. Problem with not telling them you are eu resident is if the wheel comes off they could then say banking guarantee is not in place because you lied. Also cards etc will be sent to UK address and have to be sent on to you if they go astray you have no comeback. Many do exactly as you say but I decided I would change to HSBC and all in order correctly with proper dealings etc. Its up to individual what they do of course.
Old Nov 5th 2022, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

jackteet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, That is interesting and good to know, I stand corrected.
Old Nov 5th 2022, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackteet
Hi, forgive me for butting in here only not sure if your question has been answered. I think all UK banks will close accounts once they know you are moving to Spain. Simply move to spain and retain an address in the UK, friend or family member. Dont tell bank that you have left the uk.

I still have a Nationwide account and has recieved both new credit and debit cards to my spanish address. Originally i was told that I wouldn't get a new credit card but they still sent one.
Also have HSBC and Uk Santander (don't forget here that Santander Spain is a different company, so they may still charge for transfers)

My private pension can only be paid into a UK bank and I transfer it via wise and never get charges except for the wise one on the conversion.
Old Nov 6th 2022, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

anagerbera is an unknown quantity at this point

That is very good news, thanks a lot. I am going to give it a try.
Old Nov 6th 2022, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

anagerbera is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot for your reply, lots of things to take into account.
Old Nov 6th 2022, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

NatWest allow Spanish residents and send mail and cards to my Spanish address ( a Buzon). Will TxT Spanish number too.
Old Nov 7th 2022, 11:13 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anagerbera
Hi there... but do you think that the Spanish bank will charge something for receiving the money (the Euros) into their account? Thanks a lot.
Even if they charge 20 Euros it will still be easier than setting up some separate account or payment wallet just to facilitate a single transfer.

Just make sure you are sending funds in EUR to an EUR account so that the banks don't do any funny currency conversions.