Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

S1 registration

S1 registration

Old Mar 9th 2021, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Peterval257 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default S1 registration

Hello, we both have S1 forms , can we register them without Residencia or a successful resolution document,some say you need these before you can register at the medical centre,s,some say you don,t,we are confused. Our residencia paperwork was lodged Dec 2020,still waiting.Any help welcomed.Thank you.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S1 registration

The minimum you need are padron, NIE and TIE resolution document. You first need to obtain social security number by applying online at the social security portal. Currently here in Andalucia it's taking around 3 months to get a response, and without your SS number you can't register for state healthcare.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

As ever in Spain different areas will play by their own rules so it's a question for which there can be no universal answer.

You need first hand info from someone who has recently been through the experience at your own medical centre.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 11:17 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
As ever in Spain different areas will play by their own rules so it's a question for which there can be no universal answer.

You need first hand info from someone who has recently been through the experience at your own medical centre.
or INSS office - around here that's where you register and not at the health centre.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
or INSS office - around here that's where you register and not at the health centre.
Yes, INSS office but many are closed and you have to apply online. Even if you manage to apply in person, you aren't given social security number there and then but you have to wait. Average delay 2-3 months where I am in Andalucia.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Yes that's correct INSS Office to submit the S1. Once submitted it takes 5 to 8 weeks (recently done my wifes at Velez Málaga) you then get e mail or letter which you take to local Centro Salud and they complete the details which allocates a doctor and around a week 10 days later you get your medical card in the post. You can if needed get medical attention after registering at Centro Salud before your card actually arrives.
Old Mar 11th 2021, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

My wife has held a Spanish health card for over 10 years, as a family member, based on my S1. She recently reached pensionable age and the people at Newcastle have sent her an S1 in her own name. I will have to register this, probably online. Has anyone had experience of changing from one S1 to another? Will they cancel her current registration and start a new one? In which case she could lose continuity of health care, or will they just update her current record?

Last edited by rafikiphoto; Mar 11th 2021 at 11:03 am.
Old Mar 11th 2021, 11:33 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I had to do that a couple of years ago. I was concerned, as you are, that it could all go horribly wrong. In fact it made no difference to anything apart from changing your status on the database. No new card or number, medical records intact and prescriptions and date unaffected. The change took immediate effect.
Old Mar 11th 2021, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

That is good to know Fred. Thanks for the information. I haven't looked at the online process yet but, in any case, is there a separate channel/form for this type of registration?
Old Mar 11th 2021, 3:08 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I just made an appointment online and went in person.
Old Mar 11th 2021, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

I guess that is the safest way. She has a card already so no rush. I will wait until the locas INSS has appointments available.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
I had to do that a couple of years ago. I was concerned, as you are, that it could all go horribly wrong. In fact it made no difference to anything apart from changing your status on the database. No new card or number, medical records intact and prescriptions and date unaffected. The change took immediate effect.
My wife has her appointment next week. Apart from the new S1, health card, her passport, padron, NIE etc was there also a form to fill in and take or was an explanation at the desk sufficient?
Old Apr 6th 2021, 12:40 pm

I don't remember a form. I just gave them all that paperwork and told them what I wanted.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Fred.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

When both myself and my wife registered our S1 the official filled in a form which we signed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.