Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ryanair to slash Alicante routes by 80%!!!

Ryanair to slash Alicante routes by 80%!!!

Old Apr 8th 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ryanair to slash Alicante routes by 80%!!!

Its been news all day. Ryanair refusing to pay for the new airbridges at the new terminal. Of course its an abuse of the monopoly says O'Leery who wants it returning to walk on walk off. There again if they offered the service for free, I'm sure he'd accept!

Here's the full story in the words of Ryanair.....

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryana...by-2m-euro-p-a

There again, if you want an unbiased view check yahoo or bbc online news.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 5:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryanair to slash Alicante routes by 80%!!!

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Its been news all day. Ryanair refusing to pay for the new airbridges at the new terminal. Of course its an abuse of the monopoly says O'Leery who wants it returning to walk on walk off. There again if they offered the service for free, I'm sure he'd accept!

Here's the full story in the words of Ryanair.....

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryana...by-2m-euro-p-a

There again, if you want an unbiased view check yahoo or bbc online news.
Thats just about typical. Slashed Valencia, now Alicante .... whet the hell are the passengers supposed to do!
Old Apr 9th 2011, 6:54 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thats just about typical. Slashed Valencia, now Alicante .... whet the hell are the passengers supposed to do!
Use a different airline perhaps?

Air Berlin interested in taking Ryanair slots at Alicante

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_30003.shtml

The PP leader of the provincial government in Alicante is not worried about Ryanair threatning to scale down operations at El Altet

The Partido Popular President of the provincial Diputación Government in Alicante, José Joaquín Ripoll, has said that if Ryanair wants to stop some of its routes from El Altet airport, the ‘hole’ will be filled by other airlines because the Costa Blanca is a popular destination for airlines.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

We get what we pay for and I don't believe we have much cause for complaint when you consider the cost.

You used to be able to get direct flights to both Valencia and Alicante from London with Iberia/Ba. Now the only direct services are through the low cost airlines that are only interested in profit who withdraw from routes on a whim without consideration to the public they provide a service(??) to.

I would quite happily pay more to fly Iberia/Ba if they flew direct to these airports but suspect I am in the minority, otherwise these routes would still exist.

I did email BA a few months ago to ask if they had any plans to fly from London City to Valencia but got a negative reply. If they believed a service from London was viable I am sure that it would look into reinstating it.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Nigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura about

We fly from Manchester to Alicante regularly. Ryanair have recently resumed their Manchester flights after several years of dispute with the airport. I always compare the prices between Monarch, Easyjet, Jet2 and Ryanair and I see little difference between them in price terms. I choose Monarch because I like to choose my seats in advance and avoid a cattle rush to the plane. However for about the same price Monarch nearly always use the airbridges at Alicante so I am less than convinced that the passengers are getting any saving that Mr. O' Leary is making by not using them.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Now the only direct services are through the low cost airlines that are only interested in profit who withdraw from routes on a whim without consideration to the public they provide a service(??) to.
But surely that's the purpose of a company, to ensure they make a profit, otherwise they go under. If I had shares in a company, I'd be more concerned that they made a profit than ran unprofitable routes, simply to please a certain bunch of passengers. I can remember reading someone that had holiday rentals complaining vociferously when a Granada service was withdrawn, don't they know that her customers will now have to travel from Málaga! I agree with you, you get what you pay for, and whilst it's great to fly for £5, it's unsustainable, something has to give.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 12:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyonee
We get what we pay for and I don't believe we have much cause for complaint when you consider the cost.
I'm not one you will find complaining about Ryanair because although the owner is one supercilious overbearing man who doesnt really care about his customers complaints (ooops ...), I have never had a problem with them personally and use them most of the time.

The point here though is that you may get what you pay for, but if he is going to remove a huge majority of the flights from both Alicante and Valencia then I wont be able to use them any more, and will go elsewhere.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

tim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant future

We flew out of Alicante a week ago and came back yesterday. Before we'd even heard of the jetway controversy my wife had remarked how much of a pain in the a$$ they were - boarding took forever. Same was true deplaning. One way on and one way off. Not surprised Ryanair prefer to do without them.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
But surely that's the purpose of a company, to ensure they make a profit, otherwise they go under. If I had shares in a company, I'd be more concerned that they made a profit than ran unprofitable routes, simply to please a certain bunch of passengers. I can remember reading someone that had holiday rentals complaining vociferously when a Granada service was withdrawn, don't they know that her customers will now have to travel from Málaga! I agree with you, you get what you pay for, and whilst it's great to fly for £5, it's unsustainable, something has to give.
I agree it is there to make a profit but having driven out the traditional carriers who had sustained the routes for many years, it as a transport company should have an obligation to commit to those routes for a reasonable period and if it intended to withdraw give a reasonable period of notice. I don't blame Ryanair, it just shouldn't be allowed that degree of power.
There would be uproar if the bus/train Companies acted in the same way. I don't know but suspect they have a legal obligation to commit to their routes for set periods with set timetables.
Companies are not just about shareholders. If they were allowed to do what they liked to make a profit most Countries would be without water, gas, electricity or a decent post service as the Companies would only serve profitable areas ie towns and cities
Old Apr 9th 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not one you will find complaining about Ryanair because although the owner is one supercilious overbearing man who doesnt really care about his customers complaints (ooops ...), I have never had a problem with them personally and use them most of the time.

The point here though is that you may get what you pay for, but if he is going to remove a huge majority of the flights from both Alicante and Valencia then I wont be able to use them any more, and will go elsewhere.
But will you have anywhere to go?
Old Apr 9th 2011, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Nigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by agoreira
I was referring to Mr. O'Leary's statement in which he says "...forced to pay £2million for inefficient airbridges which neither we nor our customers want." My point is that his implication is that Ryanair's customers don't want to pay extra for the airbridges when in fact other budget airlines' customers are paying no extra and getting the use of them. I am by the way neither a shareholder or customer of Ryanair.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

The point is.... they have withdrawn from Murcia and now withdrawing from Alcante. Ryanair won't be serving this huge region at all from the offseason period. He has given the requisite warning, almost 6 months in fact. It still won't make a difference, still no planes to the region.

And all those supporters who for many a topic on here have said they will use no other carrier, what are you going to do now?

It is as I said a case of pot calling kettle black. O'Leery uses every bit of his (Ryanairs) muscle against both the small carriers and the airports. When they bite back he's the first to start bleating about unfair practices.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

DaveyD is an unknown quantity at this point

And on top of that, Ryanair are arguing with AENA about passengers rights to carry duty free aswell as (not inside of) their handluggage allowance. When will Ryanair stop whineging and give everyone a break. For every little thing that happens they moan about either cutting services or having to increase prices ! - http://www.tumbit.com/news/articles/...purchases.html
Old Apr 11th 2011, 4:42 pm
Senior Moment

I can get other decent rates, but I have to go to EMA instead of Birmingham, which means a 40 minute drive there and back (for my daughter)

Lokks like we'll have no choice. Valencia, Alicante and Murcia hit, so presumably the remaining flights will be booked up early
Old Apr 11th 2011, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ryanair may be posturing.
The new airport at Corvera is being completed (what is the point of another airport at Murcia?) and perhaps it thinks the threat of that will get the other local airports to reconsider their charges.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.