British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Ryanair Priority Scam (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/ryanair-priority-scam-719659/)

Rotor Jun 5th 2011 8:40 am

Ryanair Priority Scam

I recently traveled to Leeds from Malaga by Ryanair ,when boarding there were two queues , one for "regular" and one for "priority" travelers ,the priority travelers had to pass through the regular travelers queue to get to their queue causing disruption then they had to join the back of the checked in regular`s queue once their boarding pass had been checked :rofl: what a scam, 8,00 euro pp I believe , my advice ,save your money or you will be very *issed off.

"A fool and his money are easily parted'

teuchterpete Jun 5th 2011 10:19 am

Re: Ryanair Priority Scam

Are you a Ryanair "Virgin"?
We travel regularly to Malaga/Seville from the UK. The Ryanair scams are legendary. Dont fall for the on board food drinKs service. All priced in Euros but if you pay in GB£ they charge you the same ( ie 1euro= 1GB£), and there are more, but life is too short. My wife and I are counting the days to summer 2012 when we can move into our wee house and all of our family can have the problems when they visit us!
Pete.

Mitzyboy Jun 5th 2011 10:26 am

Well, what can I say

From Alicante to Birmingham:

We were put in the priority queue and then taken down to the boarding gate on our own. Then our coach loaded just us priority boarders and took us to the plane. Then the coach went back for non priority borders

From Birmingham to Alicante we were taken through first, and as the plane was only boarding through the front door the non priority came along behind us and boarded after us.

I have to admint, I have been in the position before a while ago when the non and priority loaded on the same coach and ended up getting to the plane mixed together. But in general now, the last few times we used them the priority was worth it, especially when you see harrassed people getting pon later and not getting seats next to each other

Domino Jun 5th 2011 11:06 am

From the way I have seen "priority" treated (is forming a queue and standing for 30mins really "priority"?) I have never bothered.

However, last year had a bad leg and stayed seated in the airport until the last minute, last on the plane, helped by the stewardess to get a seat near the door as she wanted to get everyone seated asap. A reverse form of priority but at least I was seated for 40mins instead of standing in a queue

casa del sol Jun 5th 2011 12:28 pm

What is the point in paying extra for priority, when you don't want to sit down the front near the kids and you don't want to sit near the exit...often by being faily near the front of the general queue you get to sit where you want, everybody gets a sit and almost all get a seat with the people they are traveling with....priority bookers look the stupid ones that think they can buy something the rest get for free.

johnnyone Jun 5th 2011 12:57 pm

Prority works for me.
We get on the plane, hand luggage immediately overhead, sit down and read the papers while the plane gets loaded and the boarders get more and more irritated searching for seats and overhead space.
I don't think I would bother if I was travelling on my own as I would not have any hand luggage, but for some reason not understood by me my wife needs to take "things" over. I would also be last on the 'plane.
As I have written on other threads if I had the option of travelling with a traditional airline I would willingly pay the extra. Unfortunately not possible into Valencia.

whitelinen Jun 5th 2011 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by casa del sol (Post 9411530)
....priority bookers look the stupid ones that think they can buy something the rest get for free.

Not so. if you think standing in a queue for 2 hours just to get near the front of the queue is worth it good for you. I always pay priority booking with Ryanair so I can arrive as late as possible in the departure lounge and then get on first.

However I would pay anything to fly with any another carrier than Ryanair but like a previous poster I fly to Valencia and is not possible unless I drive many hours to get to Gatwick.

anninspain Jun 5th 2011 2:31 pm

Mick O'Leary's dream is for everyone on the flight to pay for priority boarding then he will bring in the option of a pre-booked seat for €20;)

Rotor Jun 5th 2011 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by anninspain (Post 9411696)
Mick O'Leary's dream is for everyone on the flight to pay for priority boarding then he will bring in the option of a pre-booked seat for €20;)

20,00 euros just for a seat next or it will be standing room only:rofl:

I wish I could afford to employ him , even for a month:thumbsup:

Domino Jun 5th 2011 2:43 pm

from the Mail but also reported in the Guardian Monarch Airlines scraps booking fees for debit cards "Conrad Clifford, chief executive at Monarch, says: ‘In these difficult economic times there is no justification in advertising one fare, then stinging customers with hidden excess charges.
The purpose of our review of card fees was to provide an upfront, transparent and simple to understand charging policy.’

what a shame they don't do the Stansted - Granada run

frigilianafreddy Jun 5th 2011 4:03 pm

The debit/credit card charge (unlike the on-line booking fee) is voluntary.

I simply use a prepay caxton card and pay no debit credit card fees. Since you can load this card immediately with a debit card its quick and easy.

Go get one if you fly Ryannair.

jackytoo Jun 5th 2011 4:20 pm

Never flown Ryanair but have with Easyjet. What annoys me if I am flying alone is all those couples who leave the middle seat empty and pretend they are not together. I like to see the look on their faces when I plonk myself down.

Prefer BA and they are sometimes not more expensive by the time you compare all the add-ons. Although I realise some do not have that option.

Mama_Carol Jun 5th 2011 4:24 pm

I prefer Monarch's system of paying for a pre-booked seat chosen online at time of booking.

Due to medical problems, I have to have an aisle seat and extra legroom. It is worth it to me to pay €19 for this.

I would rather fly into Stansted than Luton but Monarch do not go there so I am stuck with Luton.

anninspain Jun 5th 2011 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy (Post 9411806)
The debit/credit card charge (unlike the on-line booking fee) is voluntary.

I simply use a prepay caxton card and pay no debit credit card fees. Since you can load this card immediately with a debit card its quick and easy.

Go get one if you fly Ryannair.

You have to be a UK resident to get one - not an option if you live in Spain:p

johnnyone Jun 5th 2011 5:58 pm

I may not be a great fan of budget airlines, but they have enabled millions to travel abroad more frequently than they could otherwise afford.
In respect of the add-on charges, surely we all know that the headline ticket price is not the final price paid.
My current ticket, booked only a few weeks ago for next week, was c.£53 inc. priority boarding.
At those prices there is little cause to complain. you cannot get a RR for the price of a mini!