Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ryanair Cheeky B*s?

Ryanair Cheeky B*s?

Old Jul 31st 2013, 9:18 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryanair Cheeky B*s?

Dodgy translation but I get the gist.

"From the company, however, are clear. not yield to any blackmail , not recognize any union and, in the future, will individually negotiate each contract. If someone is unhappy, you can simply leave the company , since they have 5,000 applicants for employment.

It is not the first time that the airline is opposed to the rights of workers. This past June, coinciding with the strike of air traffic controllers in France, Ryanair called on the European Commission to introduce legislation to eliminate the right to strike of air traffic controllers in Europe.

In his view, Brussels should intervene to "prevent millions of European citizens see their flights canceled or delayed, just because a minority of drivers do French air once again, strike this week, "he said then in a statement.

The company says it will not give in to any blackmail and will continue negotiating each contract individually
In this regard, he stressed that this group has no right to strike in the United States , "which means that the sky in the United States can not be closed or diverted because of a strike or delays in work."

"It is unacceptable that the European sky is closed or has repeatedly delayed flights unjustified strikes led by a small number of air traffic controllers. Such workers are among the highest paid and best protected in Europe and, despite this, choose again by a strike, "he lamented Robin Kiely , director of communications for Ryanair.

Indeed, the Irish airline blames strikes by French air traffic controllers, and the high cost of fuel, of the decline in its profit in the first quarter of its fiscal year (April-June). Overall, net profit of 78 million euros, or 21 percent less than in the same period last year.
However, Ryanair between April and June invoiced 1,340 million euros, up 5 percent over the previous year, so it maintains its profit forecasts for the fiscal year between 570 and 600 million euros."

They still seems to be doing well enough.
I take the Spanish press with a pinch of salt re RA.
They're all so obviously narked to death being unable to compete.

He certainly has a point regarding the French ATC. they've been holding the rest of Europe to ransom for as long as I can remember.
5000 applications for work, wonder if there's any Spanish pilots amongst them though I reckon they'd be wasting their time and O'Learys as well.

I reckon he might have a preference for the Poles.
Should make for some exciting rides and save a few quid as well.

Thats a strange shot of O'Leary hanging out the cockpit window with a hammer, I presume it's been photoshopped.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Jul 31st 2013 at 9:23 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jul 31st 2013, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I saw an advert from the courier firm MRW the other day offering that very service, saying it was cheaper than checking your case in - so they have obviously spotted a gap in the market!
Is MRW good, they have offered us a credit account when we start with good national rates and EU rates still to be negotiated, I approached them as they are the main courier for Amazon, but I prefer the security of UPS / Fed Ex, but they look good on paper, they seem cheap but too cheap ???

I never seen their vans, but I have not looked as well to be fair
Old Jul 31st 2013, 9:54 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

I wonder how the Ryanair website knew that the passengers booking were relatives of the crash victims ?

I mean doesn't booking last-minute seats on a Spanish destinationed flight, in mid-July, in a nearly full Ryanair 'plane, attract a huge premium anyway ?
Old Jul 31st 2013, 10:06 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacontrathinker
I wonder how the Ryanair website knew that the passengers booking were relatives of the crash victims ?

I mean doesn't booking last-minute seats on a Spanish destinationed flight, in mid-July, in a nearly full Ryanair 'plane, attract a huge premium anyway ?
Strictly speaking I don't suppose they would know.

There would naturally be a huge amount of enquiries or searches on their website and from that they would deduct that there was a massive demand for whatever tickets were still available and price them accordingly.

The website could well have been already programmed to react that way automatically and price the tickets in direct ratio or relationship to the number of searches.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Strictly speaking I don't suppose they would know.

There would naturally be a huge amount of enquiries or searches on their website and from that they would deduct that there was a massive demand for whatever tickets were still available and price them accordingly.

The website could well have been already programmed to react that way automatically and price the tickets in direct ratio or relationship to the number of searches.
I would accept that to be acceptable, still they could have had some human intervention
Old Jul 31st 2013, 10:15 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I would accept that to be acceptable, still they could have had some human intervention
Maybe they could have put extra flights on were it at all possible, but knowing the way the Spanish feel about them they would likely still have been accused of profiteering regardless of price.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 10:39 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Stansted - Malaga one way for Friday is GBP 240 without the options, and that's with two flights a day.

Ryanair work by selling the first few seat cheaply, and raising the price as the aircraft fills up. Its all automatic.

They wouldn't have the staff to monitor all their routes for web traffic.

If they had known about the crash in time, and dropped the price of a seat to nothing, how would they know who was buying the seat ? It could have been some chancing backpacker in a web-cafe who books it.

Remember the planes would have been full anyway because Santiago-de-Campostella had a festival arranged for then, and is anyway a popular destination for pilgrims.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I saw an advert from the courier firm MRW the other day offering that very service, saying it was cheaper than checking your case in - so they have obviously spotted a gap in the market!
Since almost all of my Air travel is for business, I have sent business stock ahead of me when taking Ryanair flights. I now ask friends in various European destinations to look after business stock for me. And I get books sent direct from the publisher to the exhibition venues. I now leave a change of clothes wherever I can to make sure I can fit into smaller sized cases (15 instead of 20 kg) and I've bought super light cases. I also have extra light travelling business clothes that are hand washable. And, seems crazy, but I buy all my hair conditioner on trips. It's extra weight I don't need on the outward leg. This all makes a huge difference to costs! And, I suppose it's 'greener' though I admit that's not my main motivation. I also don't buy priority boarding any more but do get to the front of the OQ to make sure my hand luggage fits in the overhead and My OH and I can sit together.
BUT if O'leary changes the hand luggage sizes/weights or makes it much more expensive to have hold luggage we'll have to move to the competition.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 6:15 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Is MRW good, they have offered us a credit account when we start with good national rates and EU rates still to be negotiated, I approached them as they are the main courier for Amazon, but I prefer the security of UPS / Fed Ex, but they look good on paper, they seem cheap but too cheap ???

around this part of andalucia MRW vans are always flitting around and around. the only experience has been from Amazon delivieries but that surely in itself is some form of recommendation

have considered them myself for business shipments but not started any discussions with them

`
Old Aug 1st 2013, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

It's hardly rocket science, nearly 80 killed and suddenly the demand to fly there shoots up, it's a fair guess most will be families, relations, friends of the dead. Anyway there was a clue in the article, the people involved told them they were relations.
"Les explique que éramos familiares de una de las víctimas del tren y que necesitábamos subir a ese avión”, explica Elisa al mencionado periódico desde el tanatorio con la voz entrecortada."
Attract a huge premium? If you read the article in a couple of hours the prices almost doubled. Originally on the online booking, they were quoted €470, they got no confirmation, so phoned the company, told them they were relatives, the company then informed them of the new price, €800 for two tickets.

Last edited by agoreira; Aug 1st 2013 at 7:36 am.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Ryanair work by selling the first few seat cheaply, and raising the price as the aircraft fills up. Its all automatic.
Not sure that's correct, on a recent programme on RA, booking very early is no guarantee of the cheapest prices. It can be, but not certain. They go by the previous years records, they know at any time before the flight how many seats they should have sold at any given time. So if sales are lagging behind, they drop the price, once they hit the target figure, it goes up. If they are above the target figure, the price goes up even further. This goes on for months before the actual flight.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

As with many things in Spain, it seems to depend very much on where you live! We have had many deliveries from them (mostly Amazon) and not had a problem - but we live in an area where vans and cars cannot access and the courier rings us and arranges to meet us in a nearby plaza to hand over the parcels (whereas if something has come via DHL, they walk up and bring it to the door). Once the MRW guy rang whilst we were out shopping and met us outside Mercadona to make the delivery! I have heard reports of people who live out in the countryside saying that they have had problems with MRW drivers saying they could not find their house to deliver.

I have seen their vans many times in Spanish cities.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 8:06 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by agoreira
Not sure that's correct, on a recent programme on RA, booking very early is no guarantee of the cheapest prices. It can be, but not certain. They go by the previous years records, they know at any time before the flight how many seats they should have sold at any given time. So if sales are lagging behind, they drop the price, once they hit the target figure, it goes up. If they are above the target figure, the price goes up even further. This goes on for months before the actual flight.
Still not really difficult to programme that information into their computer system I would have thought, but wether or not they do I haven't a clue.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 8:23 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

I add, the publicity he would have achieved as that is his goal if he offered extra flights and free seats could have been a better choice
Completely agree. A very good rule of business is to look after your customers Especially during difficult economic times.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Still not really difficult to programme that information into their computer system I would have thought, but wether or not they do I haven't a clue.
All the airlines have very sophisticated computer systems - how else do they know that you have searched for flights on a given date before, so that if you go back in to look a week later, the price has mysteriously gone up (unless you make sure you clear your browsing history beforehand)? They all put the prices up according to predicted sales - the best time to book is said to be around 8 weeks before departure, generally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.