British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Rustic Land and Homes on Wheels (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/rustic-land-homes-wheels-941009/)

Adam777 Oct 7th 2021 11:54 pm

Rustic Land and Homes on Wheels

Hello All,

Firstly I appreciate that every region has differing legislation but I'm hoping to get some of your experiences regardless.

I'm planning my exit from the rat race (well I'm mostly out as it is) and am wondering about the idea of buying Rustic Land somewhere close to the water (well...15K or less being 'close'), in pretty much any part of the country, and putting an off grid home on a trailer onto that land. The practicalities of setting up the property are one thing. However I'm curious if anyone has any knowledge or experience of how this might be seen by the local authorities. Im in the very early stages of this idea / plan so I'm just doing some research and not yet at the point where I'm going to hire lawyers.

In an ideal world, I buy 10K - 30K square meters of land somewhere hopefully with a nice view. Drive a 20 sq m home on a tralier onto that land, park it and take up residence. Obviously this is assuming I can generate the power, water and take care of the other considerations needed for living off grid. Mostly I'm wondering if this is a done thing yet or not or perhaps has been tried with disastrous consequences already.

Chipmonk Oct 8th 2021 7:00 am

Re: Rustic Land and Homes on Wheels

Originally Posted by Adam777 (Post 13059632)
Hello All,

Firstly I appreciate that every region has differing legislation but I'm hoping to get some of your experiences regardless.

I'm planning my exit from the rat race (well I'm mostly out as it is) and am wondering about the idea of buying Rustic Land somewhere close to the water (well...15K or less being 'close'), in pretty much any part of the country, and putting an off grid home on a trailer onto that land. The practicalities of setting up the property are one thing. However I'm curious if anyone has any knowledge or experience of how this might be seen by the local authorities. Im in the very early stages of this idea / plan so I'm just doing some research and not yet at the point where I'm going to hire lawyers.

In an ideal world, I buy 10K - 30K square meters of land somewhere hopefully with a nice view. Drive a 20 sq m home on a tralier onto that land, park it and take up residence. Obviously this is assuming I can generate the power, water and take care of the other considerations needed for living off grid. Mostly I'm wondering if this is a done thing yet or not or perhaps has been tried with disastrous consequences already.

I have a feeling it might not be as easy as you think as I'm pretty sure there will be various obstacles in the manner of planning laws, change of use etc that might be expensive and take time to navigate. I would definitely not just choose anywhere, it's very cold in the North in winter with snow and positively nuclear in the summer in in land arid areas.

Moses2013 Oct 8th 2021 7:14 pm

Re: Rustic Land and Homes on Wheels

Originally Posted by Adam777 (Post 13059632)
Hello All,

There will be people doing it but everything is regulated in Spain and as you say, every council has different rules. As soon as you connect to something it will be considered an immovable property and you will have to follow the process set out in the Law on Building Management. Ok, your plan is off grid living but even rustic land is regulated and what about sewage, water etc.? In any case the planning laws can change and while it might be tolerated to live in a trailer today, you could be forced to leave at any time unless you have the permit. All you can do is talk to the local council before you purchase land/pay a lawyer.