Reload this Page >

Rural land property taxes

Rural land property taxes

Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:03 pm
jjt
Just Joined

jjt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rural land property taxes

I am looking to move to Galicia or northern Spain early next year. My plan is to lead a self sufficient lifestyle and are currently looking around for land to buy. I intend to find land with its own water, spring or well and to use alternative energy. Some places I have seen for sale in southern spain state there are no bills. Can this be true? Does anybody know about rural land and yearly property taxes or community taxes?

Also, does anybody know if land in general has restricted use, (ie could I site a caravan or other temporary structure), or who I should ask about this?
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:14 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rural land property taxes

Originally Posted by jjt
I am looking to move to Galicia or northern Spain early next year. My plan is to lead a self sufficient lifestyle and are currently looking around for land to buy. I intend to find land with its own water, spring or well and to use alternative energy. Some places I have seen for sale in southern spain state there are no bills. Can this be true? Does anybody know about rural land and yearly property taxes or community taxes?

Also, does anybody know if land in general has restricted use, (ie could I site a caravan or other temporary structure), or who I should ask about this?
As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:31 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjt

This is not true. Rural land does have a tax but it's very small.

We have about 6700 sqm (1.7 acres) and pay 18 euros per year.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Like snikpoh we too have about 6500 sq metres of land. In our case we pay no tax

The reason is, for the last 5 years whilst we have owned the property, the town council who is responsible for our village will not collect it! Despite numerous appeals over the years we have been told to give up and wait for them to ask for it Only in Spain could they be so blase about collecting tax
Old Nov 20th 2011, 3:17 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

If I were to be paying a small tax on rural land, or just a small amount I would be worried that the place wasn't legal for a house
Old Nov 20th 2011, 4:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

In our area if you build a legal vivienda on the land and it is fully entered on the catastral register you will be charged the full "urbana" rate of IBI.

We have a small plot attached to our main plot and we pay the "rustica" rate on that which is a couple of Euros a year.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjt

In Galicia they are going to fit water meters to all rural wells/water depositos so you will, at some point, have to pay for your water. But as the Xunta is broke I do not know how they are going to find the money for the meters. I cannot remember the exact number but it was about 340,000 meters that are needed to be installed.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:04 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by battlezone123
In Galicia they are going to fit water meters to all rural wells/water depositos so you will, at some point, have to pay for your water. But as the Xunta is broke I do not know how they are going to find the money for the meters. I cannot remember the exact number but it was about 340,000 meters that are needed to be installed.
... that's really simply - they charge YOU for them!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:06 pm
jjt
Just Joined

jjt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou for all the information. It sounds like it will only be a low amount - not enough to worry about. The information about the water meters is pretty handy to know. Thanks for your help