Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Rural Internet options andalucia

Rural Internet options andalucia

Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rural Internet options andalucia

Hello,
Hope I can mention The Sentinella mag here.
Anyway, in it I saw an advert by a Granada based company offering free internet. No land line. No monthly charge. No annual fee. 249.00e fitted.
When I took a look at website it says it is funded or backed in some way by the Junta de Andalucia.
Firstly I seem to remember that isn,t this something like Iberbanda set up? but then with them there was a monthly fee.
Secondly, is this then a pay as you go and if so its not free.
Also in the same mag I saw another add for internet stating,
5mb unlimited internet. No phone line. No contracts. 169e fitted and 29.99e a month.
At present with Movistar and land line internet I pay 60e a month for 3mb.
Has anyone any experience or information about these companies?
Seems to good an offer so I'm in the mind there has to be a catch somewhere, especially with the latter as they only have email addy and mobile number.
Any info much appreciated.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:13 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rural Internet options andalucia

Hi

If it is too good to be true - then it usually is !!! I pay 46.02€ per month to movistar for a 3G dongle - I live in the campo so no telephone line (but I have got electric from Endesa sevilliana)

Davexf
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

If it is too good to be true - then it usually is !!! I pay 46.02€ per month to movistar for a 3G dongle - I live in the campo so no telephone line (but I have got electric from Endesa sevilliana)

Davexf
Looked at Dongle but speed seems slow.
Thanks for your reply
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:12 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I have had 6Mb download speed when near a mast; but yes normally around 1/2 to 1Mb on two bar strength (maximum is 5 bars) Now using Wi-Fi gadget I don't see the speed

Davexf
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Hello,
Hope I can mention The Sentinella mag here.
Anyway, in it I saw an advert by a Granada based company offering free internet. No land line. No monthly charge. No annual fee. 249.00e fitted.
When I took a look at website it says it is funded or backed in some way by the Junta de Andalucia.
Firstly I seem to remember that isn,t this something like Iberbanda set up? but then with them there was a monthly fee.
Secondly, is this then a pay as you go and if so its not free.
Also in the same mag I saw another add for internet stating,
5mb unlimited internet. No phone line. No contracts. 169e fitted and 29.99e a month.
At present with Movistar and land line internet I pay 60e a month for 3mb.
Has anyone any experience or information about these companies?
Seems to good an offer so I'm in the mind there has to be a catch somewhere, especially with the latter as they only have email addy and mobile number.
Any info much appreciated.
Hi,
I use http://www.mercuryinternet.com/ it works well for me.
But the most important this is not what they charge, but if you can get a reliable connection where you live. Check with your neigbours what they use.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:33 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in the campo and pay under €50 a month for a great reliable fast internet connection and phone (with both UK and Spanish landline numbers), including all phone calls to UK and Spanish landlines and most overseas countries too (including NZ where I have a friend). Not sure if you're near me but if you are PM me and I'll let you know which company it is (not sure if I can mention on the forum). I see other people have mentioned companies so I will too http://www.broadband4spain.com/

Last edited by JnK; Jan 17th 2011 at 9:35 am. Reason: adding info
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks to you all,
I may have confused some but I have movistar internet through landline at the mo, which is €60 a month.
I don't use fijo so as such line rental is just for internet, so I was looking for internet without landline but not because I live in campo without access, however this is only Rural connection.
Mercury do not cover my area, BB4S seem OK but as with many of these companies I find their price structure somewhat strange. e.g with BB4S you pay €174+iva 6months in advance for service then €29.99+iva a month for service on top of that, this makes it more expensive than Movistar.
Do you think I am barking up wrong tree and that there is no cheaper option out there than what I have already?
Appreciate all your help
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:44 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

We recently went to a presentation about this service here in Galicia.
You can have different levels of speed.
Telephone is not usually included in the package as they say most of their customers will have some sort of telephone service to the house, but the extra is only X€ per month but that limits the amount of mins you can call for free. After that there was no clear answer on the amount they charge per call. You can transfer your existing landline number to them if you use their phone service.
They guarantee that the level of service will never fall below 20% of the contract speed. Movistar do not do that.
The problem as far as we can see is that the reception box has to have line of site of the transmission mast. If you are surrounded by trees you will have to install the box on top of a mast above the tree level. Nearby buildings could also affect the signal.
I have also found this website. It seems just like the old telefonica in English website. It has nothing to do with Iberbanda. iberbandainenglish(dot)com
The actual website for this service is. https://www.iberbanda.es/

What are the prices you are quoting?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Re the Broadband4Spain website, they seem to suggest that you pay the initial six months in one lump up front, then you start paying 29.99 per month after six months is up.
That works out cheaper than Movistar and also cheaper than my own Vodafone dongle which is 46 per month.

I'll have to look into their service....
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billgates
Re the Broadband4Spain website, they seem to suggest that you pay the initial six months in one lump up front, then you start paying 29.99 per month after six months is up.
That works out cheaper than Movistar and also cheaper than my own Vodafone dongle which is 46 per month.

It's not clear and I always wonder why.
Like you I will have to investigate further cos if what you suggest is true that does make it cheaper.

CSE,
Iberbanda is owned by Movistar hence the prices are the same.

Update. BB4S don't cover my area. Bummer.

Last edited by twistedmelon; Jan 17th 2011 at 1:36 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Neil29649 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whereabouts are you located?

The advert in the mag offering internet for free sounds like wifi leeching where they connect you to a neighbours network.

There are various options and I'm happy to help.

Neil
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:18 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
CSE,
Iberbanda is owned by Movistar hence the prices are the same.

I never quoted any prices, but since you asked...here is what the pamphlet says (all plus IVA).

2mb 34€ per month
Installation is 95€
Phone service 6€ per month
1mb 26€ per month
Installation the same as above.
Phone the same as above.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:19 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by billgates

Yes that's right... I have used them for almost two years now and have never had a problem with speed or phone.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Leeching, which someone mentioned earlier: is it illegal if the neighbour involved approves? And are any of the systems mentioned in the thread satellite-based because we're still confounded by not having line of sight to any of the masts & no-one has yet come up with an alternative (relatively cheap as opposed to many hundreds of euros set-up fee)
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:40 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fionamw
Leeching, which someone mentioned earlier: is it illegal if the neighbour involved approves? And are any of the systems mentioned in the thread satellite-based because we're still confounded by not having line of sight to any of the masts & no-one has yet come up with an alternative (relatively cheap as opposed to many hundreds of euros set-up fee)
Try BB4S, I think they do your way too now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.