Reload this Page >

Running a UK business from Spain

Running a UK business from Spain

Old Aug 5th 2010, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

JMOT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Running a UK business from Spain

Hi All,

I own a UK Ltd company. Its 100% web based.

I'm looking to find out the practicalities of attempting to simply up sticks, move to spain (rent) and just get on with work and enjoy the spanish lifestyle..... hopefully with the minimum of paperwork, admin and hassle.

We have no kids yet, no pets. Will get a LHD car upon arrival.

All I need is a nice villa and a broadband connection.

I'm pretty sure its not going to be that simple as theres other considerations like needing a GP etc.

I've read bits about needing to register for a permit to stay and work?

Would someone please be able to give a general overview as to what I'm going to need to arrange and do?

(I'm waiting to hear back from my accountants but you cant beat the experience and advice of those who have actually done it!!)

Thanks, Tom
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Running a UK business from Spain

hi & welcome.

Q a few here come & go with interests in both countries, I am pretty sure that excluding pensioners & kept wives no Brit expat survives entirely on Spanish derived income. If anyone does it would be the first I heard of in 8 years.

Depends how visible the business is, if you can stay off the tax man's radar in Spain you are fine, just insure yr health, post a bit of Spanish income & I doubt anyone will bother you.

Make sure you register as a non resi landlord & post UK earnings as a UK landlord or you lose valuable allowances if you sell or upgrade UK property.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by poolboy
hi & welcome.

Q a few here come & go with interests in both countries, I am pretty sure that excluding pensioners & kept wives no Brit expat survives entirely on Spanish derived income. If anyone does it would be the first I heard of in 8 years.

Depends how visible the business is, if you can stay off the tax man's radar in Spain you are fine, just insure yr health, post a bit of Spanish income & I doubt anyone will bother you.

Make sure you register as a non resi landlord & post UK earnings as a UK landlord or you lose valuable allowances if you sell or upgrade UK property.
I do!! Always have since moving here!!! I think there are a few others too that post on here.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 6:02 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
I do!! Always have since moving here!!! I think there are a few others too that post on here.

Old Aug 6th 2010, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta

Me as well
Old Aug 7th 2010, 8:56 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting comparison between`German and spanish entrepreneurs in Spain here:-

http://www.agf.org.uk/cms/upload/pdf...s_and_risk.pdf

• appear to be less likely to use professional business support services when setting up their business, or use them very sparingly and with deep suspicion
• are more likely to set up business in a profession or industry where they have not worked before at home, and which does not capitalise on their skill-sets
• appear to be less well prepared and less knowledgeable about the business systems in their host country before they migrate, assuming wrongly that some form of EU
standardisation applies
• sometimes do not speak Spanish or speak very little Spanish when they relocate, although it is not at all clearly the preserve of one typology or another and there
are exceptions
• appear to have less access to or be less prepared to seek out the help of social networks for business referral and other business purposes than their German
counterparts.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. Anyone else?
Old Aug 7th 2010, 1:01 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JMOT
Thanks. Anyone else?
all my income is from Spain. but my family wouldn't survive without my OH's from elsewhere

the answers to all your questions can be found on this site, but in a nutshell, if you are EU you don't need a work permit

you need to:

register as resident

get a NIE

sign on the padron

get an accountant to sort out the tax issues
Old Aug 7th 2010, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
all my income is from Spain. but my family wouldn't survive without my OH's from elsewhere

the answers to all your questions can be found on this site, but in a nutshell, if you are EU you don't need a work permit

you need to:

register as resident

get a NIE

sign on the padron

get an accountant to sort out the tax issues

Thanks for the answers. My accountants just buggered off on hols so trying to do my own research! Thanks
Old Aug 7th 2010, 1:55 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the answers. My accountants just buggered off on hols so trying to do my own research! Thanks
A Spanish one?

they tend to do that in August!!
Old Aug 7th 2010, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

strobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant future

Hi, we just moved my wife's web business here this year, and find that the postal costs are savage - we have had to abandon some popular but heavy lines altogether, and selling her books is a farce - the post office here wants the same price as a book to send it - about 3x the UK rates.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Neil29649 is an unknown quantity at this point

It might sound like a stupid answer but make sure you can get a fast internet connection wherever you move too.

I've had many clients who have had a web based business and then found they cant get an ADSL Connection where they have moved to.

If you need any help then let me know. I'm not sure about the rest of Spain but I can tell you where you can get a fast connection in the Costa del Sol (SNIP)

Neil

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Aug 9th 2010 at 4:38 pm. Reason: Comment removed, please dont procure for business on the forums :-)
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

nice plug neil

In a 5 min call skipping over the topline details my accountants have told me that if I spend under 6 months in a spanish tax year (june to june) i think then theres no need to register as resident.

However if its likely to extend pass that point then registering sooner for residence and getting a NIE for healthcare, cars, mortgages etc is advisable.

However as all of my business is UK focused, all money goes in there and get paid to me from the UK that under the current tax treaties between Spain and UK I'm not required to pay any spanish taxes or contributions etc etc as my UK contributions cover all this...

I'll be chasing this up in more detail..
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

nice plug neil

In a 5 min call skipping over the topline details my accountants have told me that if I spend under 6 months in a spanish tax year (june to june) i think then theres no need to register as resident.

However if its likely to extend pass that point then registering sooner for residence and getting a NIE for healthcare, cars, mortgages etc is advisable.

However as all of my business is UK focused, all money goes in there and get paid to me from the UK that under the current tax treaties between Spain and UK I'm not required to pay any spanish taxes or contributions etc etc as my UK contributions cover all this...

I'll be chasing this up in more detail..
You may have a few surprises in store.
You pay tax where you live, not where you work.
If you are in Spain for more than 3 months you have to register at the National Police St and you will be given a residencia certificate.
Your UK health cover will not be valid in Spains health system after a while even if you are still paying a stamp there.
You can`t have the perks of one country while living in another.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
You may have a few surprises in store.
You pay tax where you live, not where you work.
If you are in Spain for more than 3 months you have to register at the National Police St and you will be given a residencia certificate.
Your UK health cover will not be valid in Spains health system after a while even if you are still paying a stamp there.
You can`t have the perks of one country while living in another.
Thats what I cant quite believe...

I have asked for further written details.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.