Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Running a Small Business

Running a Small Business

Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:25 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Running a Small Business

Originally Posted by Veleta
Really? That's interesting. I didn't know that.

I have 16 years of contributions in the UK and the rest I am notching up here in Spain. I will have over 15 years of contributions in Spain by the time I retire. Any idea how much the Spanish state pension is??
Five years ago, it was around £250 a week. It’s index linked, with free medical care, subsidised holidays, travel and other benefits. That was after 15 years of full contributions to the Spanish state.

When the person came to subsequent UK retirement, some lateral thinking was required to tick all the right boxes.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HBG
Five years ago, it was around £250 a week. It’s index linked, with free medical care, subsidised holidays, travel and other benefits. That was after 15 years of full contributions to the Spanish state.

When the person came to subsequent UK retirement, some lateral thinking was required to tick all the right boxes.

Retirement age for men and women in Spain is 65 so dont understand how the person could retire on a full Spanish pension before being eligible for a UK one..

(AFAIK full Spanish pension is actually less than you have quoted)

Also AFAIK 15 years contributions only entitle someone to a small not full spanish pension, otherwise everyone would retire 15 years after they started paying in.

Fred will put us right when he next passes this way
Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HBG

Wow, if that's right that's really good news.

I'll only get about 50GBP a week from the UK as I only have 16 years contributions (which I don't understand as I only worked there for 12 years?!?). But assuming I work until I'm 65 then I'll have nearly 30 years of contributions here in Spain. Hopefully I'll get the full whack here in Spain but I have no idea how these things work!!
Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:58 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK you have to pay 15 years contributions but at least 2 have to be in the years just beofre you retire.

So yu could not work say from age 30 to 45 and expect a pension at 65. (hope that makes sence)

Also you pension is based on the amount of contributions paid especially in the later years of your working life.

If someone has had part time work or short contracts within their work record, then 15 years will not get much of a pension.

People over 50 odd can opt to pay more into the system as that is what is considered most when calculating the amount of pension a person will get whan they are 65.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:35 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

JFLS that explains it better as I know 2 on pensions and one gets 500 and the other 670.

Suppose like the UK the civil servants will get the best pensions.