British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Running an online competition ~ is it legal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/running-online-competition-%7E-legal-660090/)

xxfrecklesxx Mar 18th 2010 9:42 pm

Running an online competition ~ is it legal

Im thinking of running a competition from my website, charging a £1/1€ entry and the winner would get a portrait, worth about £100/100€... I would do it in the way that entrants would have to answer questions, but have to look at my website the find the answers (well I think)

now im not sure how legal this is, the website is not really spanish ... and though im living here, im not a resident.... and it would be aimed at people in the UK... gawd its complicated....

Has anyone done anything like this?... I often see people running raffles over here.. and wondered if like the UK you have to have a licence for it....

Casa Santo Estevo Mar 18th 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Running an online competition ~ is it legal

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx (Post 8430664)
and though im living here, im not a resident.

How is that possible?

You should ask a good intentional solicitor; one who knows about internet law.

Rotor Mar 19th 2010 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo (Post 8430939)
How is that possible?

You should ask a good intentional solicitor; one who knows about internet law.

And they will charge you more than you could ever dream of making:rofl::rofl:

I`d guess it would come under the law of where ever the server was based, I would no worry about it as long as your being honest:thumbsup:

cricketman Mar 19th 2010 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 8431750)

I`d guess it would come under the law of where ever the server was based, I would no worry about it as long as your being honest:thumbsup:

I believe it is based on where you spend the majority of your time. If you spend over 6 months in Spain you have to pay your taxes here, never mind where your server in placed or where your customers are.

Madridboy Mar 19th 2010 9:41 am

Use an anonymous host like http://www.ccihosting.com/ for example and just do what you want!:sneaky:

Rotor Mar 19th 2010 9:44 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 8431801)
I believe it is based on where you spend the majority of your time. If you spend over 6 months in Spain you have to pay your taxes here, never mind where your server in placed or where your customers are.

Who mentioned tax?

snikpoh Mar 19th 2010 10:47 am

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx (Post 8430664)
Im thinking of running a competition from my website, charging a £1/1€ entry and the winner would get a portrait, worth about £100/100€... I would do it in the way that entrants would have to answer questions, but have to look at my website the find the answers (well I think)

now im not sure how legal this is, the website is not really spanish ... and though im living here, im not a resident.... and it would be aimed at people in the UK... gawd its complicated....

Has anyone done anything like this?... I often see people running raffles over here.. and wondered if like the UK you have to have a licence for it....

Come on Jen, you're certainly tax resident and I would guess by now that you should be physically resident here.

You may still pay tax in UK but that's not the defining factor.

Rotor Mar 19th 2010 11:38 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 8431971)
Come on Jen, you're certainly tax resident and I would guess by now that you should be physically resident here.

You may still pay tax in UK but that's not the defining factor.

I thought she was asking about the law on setting up a competition:confused: Not what income tax would be due?

Casa Santo Estevo Mar 19th 2010 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 8431750)

Guessing is not an answer I thought hard facts is what the OP is looking for.

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 8432058)
I thought she was asking about the law on setting up a competition:confused: Not what income tax would be due?

If the OP earns money then if comes into the equation about tax. So it is sort of related...no?

xxfrecklesxx Mar 19th 2010 1:12 pm

Hi...

I didnt really think of the tax side of it, more the legal bit, as I know in the UK, you should have a Gamblers Licence....

Rotor Mar 19th 2010 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx (Post 8432218)
Hi...

I didnt really think of the tax side of it, more the legal bit, as I know in the UK, you should have a Gamblers Licence....

I thought thats what you meant .....

twistedmelon Mar 19th 2010 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx (Post 8432218)
Hi...

You will need a licence and yes tax will come into it.
As a purely promotional gimmick I reckon it's a non starter.

Casa Santo Estevo Mar 19th 2010 5:20 pm

Anyway xxfrecklesxx you do not have any time for running on-line lottos, as you still have to find out about that new road that was worried about.:huh:

paintermujer Mar 19th 2010 7:24 pm

Your pics look great.

Try Ebay.

xxfrecklesxx Mar 19th 2010 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo (Post 8432784)
Anyway xxfrecklesxx you do not have any time for running on-line lottos, as you still have to find out about that new road that was worried about.:huh:

HI.... ended up going to the town hall... no plans have been made for it to go through Bocairent yet.... and the locals seem to think it will never happen... well not at least for a good few years....:)