Reload this Page >

Running a bar in spain info saught

Running a bar in spain info saught

Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:52 am
Just Joined

AL1492 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Running a bar in spain info saught

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yes - you could get basic health cover for as little as 60€ a month for a 21 year old

for a 50 year old for about 65€ a month

http://www.asssa.es/#
In the USA, you can get cover for about a hundred a month, but the deductable for a hospital visit with that policy, is 5000 dollar, and the deductable for a doctors visit is 50 dollar, so its not worth it. for me, its 480 a month, for no deductable to see a doctor, and a 2500 deductable for a hospital, so all i would have to pay for a hospital visit, is anything up to the first 2500, after that the insurance kicks in. To reduce that deductable to a 1000 would almost double the price of the policy, if i could find a deductable that low.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:56 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AL1492
In the USA, you can get cover for about a hundred a month, but the deductable for a hospital visit with that policy, is 5000 dollar, and the deductable for a doctors visit is 50 dollar, so its not worth it. for me, its 480 a month, for no deductable to see a doctor, and a 2500 deductable for a hospital, so all i would have to pay for a hospital visit, is anything up to the first 2500, after that the insurance kicks in. To reduce that deductable to a 1000 would almost double the price of the policy, if i could find a deductable that low.
look at the site - or Sanitas - they have pretty much all inclusive policies - we had one with ASSSA which covered all hospital treatment & stays as well as routine doctors appointments & treatment
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:18 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I must say that although I know little about health in the US, the little I know convinces me that it's giant rip-off with everybody out for what they can get.

A friend of mine is working temporarily in Washington and he went to a dentist with a minor problem - couple of fillings maybe. The dentist examined his entire set and gave him a quote for 56,000 dollars. (and that is true).

It's a gravy train for insurance companies and health providers alike. No wonder Obamacare is hitting so much resistance.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I must say that although I know little about health in the US, the little I know convinces me that it's giant rip-off with everybody out for what they can get.

A friend of mine is working temporarily in Washington and he went to a dentist with a minor problem - couple of fillings maybe. The dentist examined his entire set and gave him a quote for 56,000 dollars. (and that is true).

It's a gravy train for insurance companies and health providers alike. No wonder Obamacare is hitting so much resistance.
Health care in the USA is superb... as long as you are rich or can afford the insurance, if you are neither it is dire, Obama is trying to do something about it but middle class Americans just don't want to poor to have good health care.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My how "running a bar in Spain" can drift and drift and drift...........

Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:03 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
My how "running a bar in Spain" can drift and drift and drift...........

I think it only took about 2 posts this time
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:18 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

No one is going to say "great idea" to anything. No matter what it is, if i said i was thinking of buying a Rolex dealership in Marbella, i would be told, "oh now is not a good time mate, even the rich are feeling the pinch, and no one wants rolex anymore, the second hand shops here are full of them, and no one is buying.

Only one comment, is from someone who rents out a house in spain. One comment is from someone who rents in spain. No one on this forum, has bought a house to renovate in spain, and no one on this forum has run a bar or cafe in any part of spain.
OK then, you got me

It's a great idea. You'll do very well and we all wish you the best of luck.

I have rented out property in Spain. I know what it's like
I bought my place here. I know what thats like, and the ramifications.
I know people that run a bar and what they go through, and of course I am here .... in Spain .... and I see what is happening to businesses. Like the 20 bars and restaurants that have closed in the last 12 months in one main street in Benidorm, the estimated one million properties that are for sale and empty, the huge unemployment etc etc. I'm an ex businessman myself, but thankfully not in Spain!

Its the thing about this forum. You get told it as it is. A lot of people dont like that because it dampens their hopes and aspirations. Personally I'd rather warn people than sit back and let them do it without the on the ground information they need. But some people just aren't interested.

Good luck. You have obviously decided it is the thing to do and I really look forward to hearing your story when you make a great success of it
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:33 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Only one comment, is from someone who rents out a house in spain. One comment is from someone who rents in spain. No one on this forum, has bought a house to renovate in spain, and no one on this forum has run a bar or cafe in any part of spain.
OK, I have never bought a house to renovate in Spain but I have helped renovate many. No-one is doing it now (at least not here and not for investment purposes). The truth here is that if you buy a ruin for next to nothing, renovate it up to a decent standard and put in on the market, the renovation costs will be more than the house is worth.

I've just finished two years running a bar/Bistro - was fine for a bit but just ran out of the energy to try to keep ahead. If you have no staff costs you have to take at least 200 Euros a day on average to just pay the costs. Not easy in this environment.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Good luck. You have obviously decided it is the thing to do and I really look forward to hearing your story when you make a great success of it
I've been sitting here on the sidelines, laughing to myself throughout this thread, I could see where it was going. How many times have we seen it? People come on here with a brilliant idea, (usually involving a bar!) asking for advice from people like yourselves, just really wanting people to confirm it's the ideal business, it can't fail, it's the ideal time to make a killing. When they don't get the advice they want, it usually involves a bit of a rant, they know better than those that are there witnessing first hand how things are going down the plug hole. You don't need to have run a bar to see that thousands are closing in Spain, the signs are there for all to see. Like you, I wish him well, he can report back when he's made his fortune.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:08 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I've been sitting here on the sidelines, laughing to myself throughout this thread, I could see where it was going. How many times have we seen it? People come on here with a brilliant idea, (usually involving a bar!) asking for advice from people like yourselves, just really wanting people to confirm it's the ideal business, it can't fail, it's the ideal time to make a killing. When they don't get the advice they want, it usually involves a bit of a rant, they know better than those that are there witnessing first hand how things are going down the plug hole. You don't need to have run a bar to see that thousands are closing in Spain, the signs are there for all to see. Like you, I wish him well, he can report back when he's made his fortune.
Could a thread be started callled the "agreement thread?"

Posts about running a bar etc could be posted in there, and all other posters could give encouragement, and tell posters what they want to hear.

"It is easy to do, go for it, if you work ard enough you will make a forutne," type posts could be the norm.

Result, happy posters....
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish bars away from the tourist regions survive (just) because

(a) they own the premises, often it's been in the family for generations, so have no rent to pay;
(b) their family members work all hours without pay, just for board and lodging.

Sometimes they run out of things, especially draught beer, because they have no credit with the suppliers. So they buy a few bottles or borrow from other bars until they can afford to buy a barríl.

It is hand to mouth and nobody expects to get rich on it. It's just what you do, your role in the community.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca

I appreciate what you are saying, but not all survive, not all bars fall into that category, over 12,000 have closed in the last three years, that's a lot of bars.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:50 pm
FreeThinker

(a) they own the premises, often it's been in the family for generations, so have no rent to pay;
(b) their family members work all hours without pay, just for board and lodging.

Sometimes they run out of things, especially draught beer, because they have no credit with the suppliers. So they buy a few bottles or borrow from other bars until they can afford to buy a barríl.

It is hand to mouth and nobody expects to get rich on it. It's just what you do, your role in the community.
That is the true situation of many Spanish bars but not all. Some bars in our village are rented - some owned. The family owned ones will survive in the way you say.

At the top of the boom (2007?) there were 27 bars/restaurants/cafes in our small village - now there are 20. I am expecting that to fall further.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
Could a thread be started callled the "agreement thread?"

Posts about running a bar etc could be posted in there, and all other posters could give encouragement, and tell posters what they want to hear.

"It is easy to do, go for it, if you work ard enough you will make a forutne," type posts could be the norm.

Result, happy posters....
What a good idea, it would give the "life coaches" out there plenty of scope for their ridiculous "affirmations". How they manage to get people to part with money for that stuff is beyond me (it's just the modern-day term for snake oil salesmen IMO) but I suppose there's one born every minute.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:02 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Owning the premises of course is an advantage over renting, but with a lot of places renting for what is a small amount a month ie 500euros, the advantage over the "renters" is minimal.

If the amount of rent paid is the deciding factor in the future of the bar, then it is in a precarious position already, and could fail for the slightest reason.

The bigger advantage is having the unpaid workers in the family helping out, that swings it in most cases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.