Reload this Page >

Running a bar in spain info saught

Running a bar in spain info saught

Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:25 am
Just Joined

AL1492 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Running a bar in spain info saught

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
His comments are also tinged with how he's found things in the US, which has nothing to do with Spain in the slightest

Jo xxx
No, its also to do with renovating and renting houses in the UK, which i did quite well at, after I left the merchant navy, then thought, "well if it works here, it will work in the USA" and it did. Dosent matter where you go, people need a roof over their head.

Might be just that spain is the only place you have ever been, and you think its just so different from the UK, Its actually being quite racist, making out that their countries are hugely different, because you are then making out people are hugely different. In our global village today, we all drive cars that run on gas, all pay a mortgage or rent, all watch tv, all eat and drink, and go to work. As for spain, ok, their legal system is different from englands, but its not that different from scotlands, as spain and scotland, both base their legaly systems, on roman law. But like you mention USA, and the difference, between evicting someone in Missouri where i am, and florida, is probably as different as evicting someone in england, or in spain. You refer to the USA, in the same way, that you should be refering to spain as Europe. In truth, the member states of the EEC, have less independence, than the states of the United states, non of the EEC countries could decide to bring in capital punishement, could they.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AL1492
No, its also to do with renovating and renting houses in the UK, which i did quite well at, after I left the merchant navy, then thought, "well if it works here, it will work in the USA" and it did. Dosent matter where you go, people need a roof over their head.

Might be just that spain is the only place you have ever been, and you think its just so different from the UK, Its actually being quite racist, making out that their countries are hugely different, because you are then making out people are hugely different. In our global village today, we all drive cars that run on gas, all pay a mortgage or rent, all watch tv, all eat and drink, and go to work. As for spain, ok, their legal system is different from englands, but its not that different from scotlands, as spain and scotland, both base their legaly systems, on roman law. But like you mention USA, and the difference, between evicting someone in Missouri where i am, and florida, is probably as different as evicting someone in england, or in spain. You refer to the USA, in the same way, that you should be refering to spain as Europe. In truth, the member states of the EEC, have less independence, than the states of the United states, non of the EEC countries could decide to bring in capital punishement, could they.
DO NOT bring racisim into this conversation in such a ridiculous way. People ARE different in many countries. They aint the same, and that is NOTHING to do with racism!
Thank you
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Domino
are you suggesting that a whole continent from top to bottom, left to right, all speak the same Spanish - whilst there are 4-5 in Spain ? Even in Granada there can be major differences, usually caused by sloppy use by Spaniards - I came across 3 different ways of saying the same word over the weekend.

the BH works with Spaniards and also a Mexican and German, the Mexican has difficulties at times whilst the German is more formal and Madrid based in the use of her language, which gets her many funny looks.

Wales, Spain and Italy each have a central organisation that monitor the use of the language and crack down on abuse
English we leave to the Americans..............

as has been suggested earlier, you need to come over here, let it waft over you, let it get under your skin.
Only place in south america i have been (not really south but central) was guatemala, there they speak spanish, I know as was pointed out, in Brazil, they speak portugese.

If you read the motorcycle diaries of Cha Gevarez, his ideas are to link the whole continent of south america, under one government. He explains in the diaries that they are linked by language, and culture, and could easily become one great nation.

In his journeys, goes with a friend, all down through south america, and they never have any problem with language or anthing, they just keep meeting people and getting to know them.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

www.kyro.com Is the site i have been looking at house prices on. I have also seen preditions, that prices have another 25% to fall, but predictions are just that, predictions. If you go to that site, put in any region of spain, apartment, under 50k, you will find they start about 18k.

I have never done holiday rentals, i did think of it doing it in Florida when i came to the USA, but when i did buy property, it was in the midwest, and i have done very well out of it. I made a lot of mistakes, construction was different, roofs are made of asphalt shingles, its so easy to re roof a house, but only after someone shows you how to do it. Electrics are 110, but then i found out, a stove, a dryer, a water tank, and things like heaters, are 220, took me weeks to work that one out, their houses are all twin phase electrics. Insulation on all plumbing, is must, took me two years, to figure out, the only pipe, that can cope with the low tempratures, if the property is empty is Pex pipe. I spent about two years, renting to people who never had the rent, because they had garbage jobs, that paid little, and the people that had good jobs, didnt want to rent, as they would buy, then i figured out, you rent to the people with social security dissability income, and they pay as soon as they get their check, or you rent to people with section 8 where the government pay their rent.

You cant really lose money on a rental, someone will always want to rent it, and asset is always yours, buy it low enough, and even if it dosent rent for four years, all you are out, is property tax, (community charge in spain) and when you sell, you get your money back. Even if you bought a crap rental in a tourist area of spain, ok, tourists might turn their noses up, but the young couple from australia, working their way around europe, and staying for season, doing bar jobs, wont, they will want somewhere cheap, and all they want is a roof over their heads, and a place to keep their gear safe.
Al, there are thousands and thousands of empty properties in Spain that are up for rent, why will yours be fully rented? You can rent a one bedroom apartment for around $us 350 a month and they are still empty. You could buy your $us65k dollar apartment and end up renting for six months if your lucky so $2k return on your money? A $2k return if fine if you own forty or fifty apartments but not on four or five.

With your divorce looming I can guess you need to get out of Dodge fast but you really need to go to Spain for a month or two and do your homework.

My favourite quote from a member here is
"Want to make a small fortune in Spain? Then bring a large fortune and work your way down"

Good luck in your endeavours.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yes, Mexican Spanish has its roots in Castellano, as do other south American Spanish languages - but they are different enough so that if you learn say, in Argentina, it could cause you problems in Spain & vice versa - it's not just that some vocab is different as far as nouns are concerned - some verb usage is different too

they don't all speak the same language in that respect in the same way that American/English/Canadian & Australian English are concerned - they are essentially the same - but with differences

they speak Portuguese in Brazil

Catalán, Valenciano, Euskadi, Gallego are all separate languages & speaking Spanish won't help you understand them much, if at all

some of my dds' friends only speak Valenciano at home, but they & their parents speak Castellano too - although some of the parents forget themselves & speak to me in Valenciano (I don't & won't speak it, [though I now understand a lot of it merely by osmosis], it took me long enough to learn Castellano!) - I answer in Castellano & we have been known to have entire conversations like that!

you will find Castellano speakers everywhere though & they will usually be happy to speak to a foreigner in Castellano - though in different areas the accents & true dialects (as opposed to different languages) might give you problems
Ok, you have clarified that for me, but why over so many years, since the civil war, and Franco, where he fought to unite spain, why was spain not united in language, like the UK was. Also, why do you call it "castilliano" i was taught it was castillian, when you put an O at the end, you are making it masculine. This may sound like a completely stupid question, and i am still learning spanish, have been since the first classes i did, in 98, but do both women and men, speak castilliano, the 'O' dosent refer to who is speaking does it. like castilliano, castilliana, like i say, i was taught it was castillian
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I spent about two years, renting to people who never had the rent, because they had garbage jobs, that paid little, and the people that had good jobs, didnt want to rent, as they would buy, then i figured out, you rent to the people with social security dissability income, and they pay as soon as they get their check, or you rent to people with section 8 where the government pay their rent.

You cant really lose money on a rental, someone will always want to rent it, and asset is always yours, buy it low enough, and even if it dosent rent for four years, all you are out, is property tax, (community charge in spain) and when you sell, you get your money back. Even if you bought a crap rental in a tourist area of spain, ok, tourists might turn their noses up, but the young couple from australia, working their way around europe, and staying for season, doing bar jobs, wont, they will want somewhere cheap, and all they want is a roof over their heads, and a place to keep their gear safe.
I think the flaw in this plan is that it is now like looking for a needle in a haystack for young people to come over to Spain in search of casual work for the summer, with unemployment amongst the under-25s in Spain running at over 50% (and much higher than that in some areas). Young Spaniards can't find work and therefore can't move out of their parents' home, so are not looking for cheap apartments to rent. People who are out of work do not get any Government assistance to pay their rent here, so if they can't pay they will be evicted and have to move in with relatives.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Al, there are thousands and thousands of empty properties in Spain that are up for rent, why will yours be fully rented? You can rent a one bedroom apartment for around $us 350 a month and they are still empty. You could buy your $us65k dollar apartment and end up renting for six months if your lucky so $2k return on your money? A $2k return if fine if you own forty or fifty apartments but not on four or five.

With your divorce looming I can guess you need to get out of Dodge fast but you really need to go to Spain for a month or two and do your homework.

"Want to make a small fortune in Spain? Then bring a large fortune and work your way down"

That sounds like very good advice. "bring a large fortune and work your way down" i like that. I think you are probably giving very good advice, and i will probably follow it, and go to spain for a few months, before i make a decission. I am certainly not going to return to the UK, its just way too expensive. When you tell me how low rents are, its not really worth while, jumping in and buying, as six months rent, is not really going to make that much difference.

My main worry is, when i sell up here, and get out, i will have next to no income comming in. Since i left the merchant navy, i have never really sold a property, (one that i renovated) without knowing where the money from it was going next. You can kind of lose direction, just sitting about for a few months doing nothing, and that is a worry.

Well, its almost 7am here, and by 1pm, its going to be really hot, and extremely humid, and the aparment i am working on, has no electric on, so no air, so i better get to work and try to beat the heat.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:59 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, you have clarified that for me, but why over so many years, since the civil war, and Franco, where he fought to unite spain, why was spain not united in language, like the UK was. Also, why do you call it "castilliano" i was taught it was castillian, when you put an O at the end, you are making it masculine. This may sound like a completely stupid question, and i am still learning spanish, have been since the first classes i did, in 98, but do both women and men, speak castilliano, the 'O' dosent refer to who is speaking does it. like castilliano, castilliana, like i say, i was taught it was castillian
It's because of Franco that the different languages are so strong now - he tried to ban them.........& if you tell a Spaniard he can't do something he'll be even more determined to do it

I call it Castellano because that's what it's called in Spanish (Castellano )

if you've been learning Spanish since 1998 & think that because I'm female I should speak castellana I think you need a different teacher.......... it's a noun
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
DO NOT bring racisim into this conversation in such a ridiculous way. People ARE different in many countries. They aint the same, and that is NOTHING to do with racism!
Thank you
Well sorry, but i grew up in scotland, first engagement was to a woman from Bolton, in england, she was just the same as me, second engagment was to a woman from Puerto Rico, she came back to scotland with me, and she was no different to me, even loved Irn Bru, when i got married it was to an american, and she was is no different to me, ok she dosent like chicken vindaloo, but the puerto rican did.

Maybe its because i have spent most of my adult life outside of the UK that i just see everyone as the same, or maybe i am right, in that we are all the same. Same ambitions, same desires, same dreams, was it shakspeare that said in one of his plays "hath not I the jewish eye, hath not I the jewish blood, do i not have the same senses of affection, passion, do i not eat the same food, hunt with the same weapons, tickle me and laugh, as do you, cut me and i bleed as do you'
shakespear noticed all people were the same five hundred years ago. I agree with him and you dont.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
It's because of Franco that the different languages are so strong now - he tried to ban them.........& if you tell a Spaniard he can't do something he'll be even more determined to do it

I call it Castellano because that's what it's called in Spanish (Castellano )

if you've been learning Spanish since 1998 & think that because I'm female I should speak castellana I think you need a different teacher.......... it's a noun
Ok, i have only had two different teachers, and dont have one just now, like i said, really stupid question, I was just looking for an anwer as to why i was told castillian and you said castilliano, but hey, i have learned something. Of course its a noun, i just never engaged brain to think about it, like messa, or casa, or libro.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:30 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, i have only had two different teachers, and dont have one just now, like i said, really stupid question, I was just looking for an anwer as to why i was told castillian and you said castilliano, but hey, i have learned something. Of course its a noun, i just never engaged brain to think about it, like messa, or casa, or libro.
Castellano is what it's called in well, Castellano

Castilian is what it's called in English

it's not Castillian nor Castilliano in either language
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

This is either a wind-up or you have a really low IQ

Sorry guys, but sometimes...
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:58 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob

we are paying €350/month for a 3 bed 100sqm house in Northern Granada Province, having moved from a 2 bed flat in Granada City that was €550/m

a wrinkle of Spanish Tax law - you can get an allowance against income tax for rent but if your landlord hasnt registered the let with the tax office then they won't give it to you, at least until the landlord has "done the decent thing".

believe you can get tax relief on prescriptions as well.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:59 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

oh come on CM, the Mods know everything........
Old Aug 28th 2012, 1:23 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

Well I didn't like to say. But....wind-up seems apt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.