British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Rugby in Spain. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/rugby-spain-455775/)

rugbymatt Jun 4th 2007 6:34 pm

Rugby in Spain.

Only a matter of time really before I asked!!

I know it happens, there are some half decent clubs, I have even watched some half decent rugby, but what are your thoughts?

Have you seen any? Is there any around your parts?

Have you seen much.

montgomail Jun 4th 2007 6:44 pm

Re: Rugby in Spain.

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 4872295)
Only a matter of time really before I asked!!

I know it happens, there are some half decent clubs, I have even watched some half decent rugby, but what are your thoughts?

Have you seen any? Is there any around your parts?

Have you seen much.

There is a fully fledged rugby club in Denia but as I know very little about rugby, apart from the fact that I love Martin Johnson's screwed up face, I can't say whether it is a good, bad or indifferent club. I only go for the beer and the rugby 7s beach tournaments are always fun.

rugbymatt Jun 4th 2007 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by montgomail (Post 4872334)
There is a fully fledged rugby club in Denia but as I know very little about rugby, apart from the fact that I love Martin Johnson's screwed up face, I can't say whether it is a good, bad or indifferent club. I only go for the beer and the rugby 7s beach tournaments are always fun.

thanks for that, I will post this for you, it was sent to me from my best mate in NZ, she has a bit of a thing for him and wants to spread the word!!

montgomail Jun 4th 2007 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 4872349)
thanks for that, I will post this for you, it was sent to me from my best mate in NZ, she has a bit of a thing for him and wants to spread the word!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9oyXo1VY5...elated&search=

Oh yes I can see why; he's very handsome.

rugbymatt Jun 4th 2007 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by montgomail (Post 4872366)
Oh yes I can see why; he's very handsome.

perfect muscle definition, thats about it!

montgomail Jun 4th 2007 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 4872375)

Yes and very handsome, really quite handsome.

montgomail Jun 4th 2007 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by montgomail (Post 4872412)
Yes and very handsome, really quite handsome.

Will go back in a min. to check out muscle definition - just to be sure!

anabella Jun 4th 2007 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 4872375)

Do you play rugby or you are just a fan?

rugbymatt Jun 4th 2007 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 4872419)
Do you play rugby or you are just a fan?

bit of both, had a nasty injury working a couple of years ago and only had the all clear to start training again the end of last year.
In training now for next season, but I may be out of the country before I start playing, hence the thread.

anabella Jun 4th 2007 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 4872428)
bit of both, had a nasty injury working a couple of years ago and only had the all clear to start training again the end of last year.
In training now for next season, but I may be out of the country before I start playing, hence the thread.

I see.. I used to watch friends play at school/college in my teens but that seems like such a long time ago I don't even remember the rules anymore :o.. I can't tell you much other than that, it doesn't seem like a popular nationwide sport as we are not particularly good at it. Hopefully you'll find somewhere to play or maybe somewhere to train kids..

rugbymatt Jun 4th 2007 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 4872446)
I see.. I used to watch friends play at school/college in my teens but that seems like such a long time ago I don't even remember the rules anymore :o.. I can't tell you much other than that, it doesn't seem like a popular nationwide sport as we are not particularly good at it. Hopefully you'll find somewhere to play or maybe somewhere to train kids..

I would love to do a bit of both. Spain has quite a few clubs, admittedly many up north but a few all the same.

Gotta get fit first, the hardest bit is now, its absolutely killing me.

anabella Jun 4th 2007 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 4872459)
I would love to do a bit of both. Spain has quite a few clubs, admittedly many up north but a few all the same.

Gotta get fit first, the hardest bit is now, its absolutely killing me.

Be patient, recovering from injuries always takes time..

rugbymatt Jun 4th 2007 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 4872491)
Be patient, recovering from injuries always takes time..

Patience has always been my problem.

It will come, I feel I have turned a corner recently actually.

maryann Jun 4th 2007 7:55 pm

El puerto has a rugby team, quite dedicated. I have seen them play, they are hard. there were a few injuries and a very bloody ear! My hubby wanted to join the team but I put my foot down and said no, it might effect work if he got injured. So he is stuck with 5 a side football on mon and thurs night.
There is defiantly a league down here, I can find out more if you want

love

m xxxxxxx

NZGrl Jun 4th 2007 7:57 pm

I am very interested in this one...My boys (6 and 7) want to learn rugby here in NZ but I am more inclined to try and push them towards football as we are moving to Spain and I can't remember any rugby clubs when I lived there before. My thinking is that if they already play rugby they will have more in common with the Spanish kids.