Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Roscón de Reyes.

Roscón de Reyes.

Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:23 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Roscón de Reyes.

Anyone bought one or made one? Spanish equivalent of Xmas pudding with small trinkets inside. One hidden suprise is usually a bean and that means bad luck! In Marbella it seemed to be the tradition that the men bought one. On this day you could see businessmen leaving work early carrying a box with the Roscón. I have got one here, made by my Argentinian friend as they are popular there too. Only a small one (thank god) They are an aquired taste!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:31 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roscón de Reyes.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Anyone bought one or made one? Spanish equivalent of Xmas pudding with small trinkets inside. One hidden suprise is usually a bean and that means bad luck! In Marbella it seemed to be the tradition that the men bought one. On this day you could see businessmen leaving work early carrying a box with the Roscón. I have got one here, made by my Argentinian friend as they are popular there too. Only a small one (thank god) They are an aquired taste!
just remembered that I forgot to get one!!!

I rather like them in fact
Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Just got one in today, an artesan one from the pueblo. With cream in otherwise they can be a bit dry

We'll see how it is tomorrow!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:47 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Just got one in today, an artesan one from the pueblo. With cream in otherwise they can be a bit dry

We'll see how it is tomorrow!
yes - with cream in

I just sent out for one - I hope there are some left

in past years we've planted the bean - we were once told that if it grows well it cancels the bad luck

no idea if it's true, but when teh kids were little they loved to see it grow
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Never tried one, they don't look very interesting, and isn't the cream that nasty artificial stuff?

I did however get a handful of sweets from Los Reyes this evening - the procession came down the street past my house, for the first time ever since we've been here. The sweets didn't look very interesting either, so I passed them on to the little girl next to me.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:07 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Never tried one, they don't look very interesting, and isn't the cream that nasty artificial stuff?

I did however get a handful of sweets from Los Reyes this evening - the procession came down the street past my house, for the first time ever since we've been here. The sweets didn't look very interesting either, so I passed them on to the little girl next to me.
we've just had some of our roscón - real cream in it
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:40 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yes - with cream in

I just sent out for one - I hope there are some left

in past years we've planted the bean - we were once told that if it grows well it cancels the bad luck

no idea if it's true, but when teh kids were little they loved to see it grow
It does cancel the bad luck if it grows well.

I planted one and it grew really big, after a day or so it was so strong that I climbed to the top of the beanstalk.

There was actually a really huge man up there with loads of gold and treasure, he shouted somthing like "fee fi fo fum I smell the blood of a Spanish bum".........

Anyway I grabbed some of the diamonds and other treasure, and climbed down the beanstalk, my poor mother did not have to sell the cow and we bacame very rich.

It was such an adventure, I think one day I might write a book or a panto about it, but I dont know if it will go down well......
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:08 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by JLFS
It does cancel the bad luck if it grows well.

I planted one and it grew really big, after a day or so it was so strong that I climbed to the top of the beanstalk.

There was actually a really huge man up there with loads of gold and treasure, he shouted somthing like "fee fi fo fum I smell the blood of a Spanish bum".........

Anyway I grabbed some of the diamonds and other treasure, and climbed down the beanstalk, my poor mother did not have to sell the cow and we bacame very rich.

It was such an adventure, I think one day I might write a book or a panto about it, but I dont know if it will go down well......

well it made/makes the kids feel better anyway, if they did/do get it