Roof Terrace

Old Jan 24th 2016, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roof Terrace

Originally Posted by BigD Nerja
I had something similar but on a smaller scale. I had new windows put in and they were white not brown. I knew it was against the community rules but several other properties had them. I was told by the community to change the windows or they would take legal action. I refused and told them to write to my solicitor, this was 6 years ago and I've heard nothing since. The Spanish legal system is as inefficient as the rest of the country and to get a court order against you would cost thousands, take years and have no guarantee of success.Enjoy your roof terrace!
Mind you, sticking two fingers up to the rest of your community is not the best way to win friends and influence people!
Old Jan 25th 2016, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
For that work and licence, it needs to be an obra major (major works). This will require an architect and drawings. The architect will then project manage the work to make sure it complies with all regulations. They will also make sure the project is fully signed off at the end. Have you actually seen the licence? Remember, it's your problem not the builders!!!!! From bitter experience, do NOT assume that the builder has it all in hand - PLEASE.
Yes that is absolutely the licence you will need to get. It's very important that an architect checks out the building to make sure it will stand the weight that's being added to it, tiles alone are very heavy.

We already had a roof terrace that we never used, then three years ago we had a pool built up there.
We then added a table and chairs and a couple of sun shades and lights...it's now well worth going up there and is a lovely place to sit on a summer evening.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

I had something similar but on a smaller scale. I had new windows put in and they were white not brown. I knew it was against the community rules but several other properties had them. I was told by the community to change the windows or they would take legal action. I refused and told them to write to my solicitor, this was 6 years ago and I've heard nothing since. The Spanish legal system is as inefficient as the rest of the country and to get a court order against you would cost thousands, take years and have no guarantee of success.
Enjoy your roof terrace!
BigD thanks for that. I think it's one guy who is looking to make a name for himself as he wants to be President so like you say I will ride it out and see what happens. The Community want to take legal action against an Italian lady who built rooms front and back of her house which I must say looks ridiculously out of keeping with the other houses so perhaps the cost of two lots of legal action will make them bulkā€¦
Old Jan 25th 2016, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilsman77
BigD thanks for that. I think it's one guy who is looking to make a name for himself as he wants to be President so like you say I will ride it out and see what happens. The Community want to take legal action against an Italian lady who built rooms front and back of her house which I must say looks ridiculously out of keeping with the other houses so perhaps the cost of two lots of legal action will make them bulkā€¦
Remember, though, if the community wins the costs will be awarded against the loser. If the loser cannot pay then it is often the case that the community has the right to sell the property to recover the costs - so I would check your situation quite carefully before you decide to gamble.We had similar on or little urb. The owner lost in the end, although it took 3 years to get to court - the community are now discussing compulsory sale of the apartment if he doesn't pay up.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Mind you, sticking two fingers up to the rest of your community is not the best way to win friends and influence people!
Mike, i have written a very apologetic letter to the Community, as you say i don't want to fall out with anyone but as El Presidente did say she was happy with my plans and then congratulated me on the terrace along with the fact that loads of houses have had work done i.e. windows installed in basements walls erected outside kitchens covered in terraces and parking areas you name it with no EGM/AGM permission.... it seems a bit unfair that they are singling my work out when they cant even see it!
Old Jan 25th 2016, 9:13 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I had something similar but on a smaller scale. I had new windows put in and they were white not brown. I knew it was against the community rules but several other properties had them. I was told by the community to change the windows or they would take legal action. I refused and told them to write to my solicitor, this was 6 years ago and I've heard nothing since. The Spanish legal system is as inefficient as the rest of the country and to get a court order against you would cost thousands, take years and have no guarantee of success.
Enjoy your roof terrace!
Some communities are more active than others, when we had a wall built to keep a neighbour's dog from jumping onto our terrace. We got permission, but it was still brought up at the next meeting, and the neighbour was told we had permission, and that he would be better to keep a low profile re his dogs as there had been a large number of complaints about them and their situation was currently under review in any case.
The dogs were american staffies, and needed a specific licence in any case.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Some communities are more active than others, when we had a wall built to keep a neighbour's dog from jumping onto our terrace. We got permission, but it was still brought up at the next meeting, and the neighbour was told we had permission, and that he would be better to keep a low profile re his dogs as there had been a large number of complaints about them and their situation was currently under review in any case.The dogs were american staffies, and needed a specific licence in any case.
Mike, I am not a pet lover (never have been) but I do get the fact that people love their cats and dogs almost like their children. The constant yapping and dog mess winds me off the clock though.... in fact you have just given me some more ammunition as one guy has two Dobies that are very intimidating every time I pass them! (lovely animals in fact but needs must)
Old Jan 25th 2016, 9:51 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

So in order to clarify the situation for people researching this sort of thing in the future do people generally only receive verbal permission and go ahead or should people always seek to have the permission via a meeting and therefore in some sort of writing? Is it possible to have quick replies from the committees or is it normally long winded?

Rosemary
Old Jan 25th 2016, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rosemary
So in order to clarify the situation for people researching this sort of thing in the future do people generally only receive verbal permission and go ahead or should people always seek to have the permission via a meeting and therefore in some sort of writing? Is it possible to have quick replies from the committees or is it normally long winded?

Rosemary
Hi Rosemary I would advise anyone to get it in writing I.e via an EGM or AGM with a unanimous vote then nothing can be done in the future to reverse the decision.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 9:58 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rosemary I would advise anyone to get it in writing I.e via an EGM or AGM with a unanimous vote then nothing can be done in the future to reverse the decision.
I think that you are correct, shame that the president did not say that to you rather than giving you verbal permission and also approving the end result of the work. In fact I would say that she is totally unprofessional with her methods.

Rosemary
Old Feb 8th 2016, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think that you are correct, shame that the president did not say that to you rather than giving you verbal permission and also approving the end result of the work. In fact I would say that she is totally unprofessional with her methods. Rosemary
and for the good news...... I have obtained all AGM/EGM minutes for the last 3 years and guess what? no one has been given permission to modify their property so I doubt there will be much they can do unless they want to remove windows swimming pools basements outside kitchens walls balustrades roofs etc. from their own properties. Handy that they have not updated Google street view for years in my area.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 2:40 pm

and for the good news...... I have obtained all AGM/EGM minutes for the last 3 years and guess what? no one has been given permission to modify their property so I doubt there will be much they can do unless they want to remove windows swimming pools basements outside kitchens walls balustrades roofs etc. from their own properties. Handy that they have not updated Google street view for years in my area.

Looks like your determined research has worked for you.

Rosemary
Old Feb 8th 2016, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looks like your determined research has worked for you.

Rosemary
fingers crossed it has. I will let you know on the 24th!
Old Feb 29th 2016, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

its all good, at the AGM the "community" issued a load of rules and regulations (after my solarium was built) one person had an issue with her privacy which I will gladly resolve as I am such a good neighbour......
Old Feb 29th 2016, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Weescottie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy days! Great news