Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Road from Algeciras to Tarifa

Road from Algeciras to Tarifa

Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:42 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Road from Algeciras to Tarifa

What is the sculpture type thing to the south of this road? It is big, looks like it's made of metal and looks like a hand. I've searched online but I can't find anything out about it. Anyone know?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road from Algeciras to Tarifa

Try this link
http://toddslaughter.net/publicworks.htm

It is listed there :-)

The link to the magazine does not appear to work sorry.

Last edited by bxpuser24710519; Mar 31st 2011 at 12:55 pm. Reason: Add last sentence.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:55 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I thought it looked like a hand and bowling ball. I wonder what it's significance is - the article doesn't say. I don't suppose it's anything to do with Drake and the Spanish Armada...
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

If you look across to Morocco you will see the skittles
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Interesting. I thought it looked like a hand and bowling ball. I wonder what it's significance is - the article doesn't say. I don't suppose it's anything to do with Drake and the Spanish Armada...
"High above Algeciras, on the Cabrito pass, is the enigmatic 'Hand and Ball' sculpture designed by Todd Slaughter symbolizing the meeting point of two continents and cultures. A beacon for all sailors entering or leaving the Mediterranean, it emphasizes Spain's determination to keep the Mediterranean open to all and the Port Authority of Algeciras Bay's ambitions to keep on developing the area. When the wind howls through The Strait the ball rotates at a maximum speed of 6 revolutions per minute and lends its own eerie cry to that of the gulls above."
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:39 pm
FreeThinker

Where did you find that agoreira? I must say that I don't see how

it emphasizes Spain's determination to keep the Mediterranean open to all and the Port Authority of Algeciras Bay's ambitions to keep on developing the area.
That's probably why I'm not a sculptor
Old Apr 1st 2011, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Spain's determination to keep the Mediterranean open to all and the Port Authority of Algeciras Bay's ambitions to keep on developing the area.

So they are trying to bowl away the new Med Port in Morocco that is taking large amounts of trade from Algeciras port.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Where did you find that agoreira? I must say that I don't see how
That's probably why I'm not a sculptor
Does a sound a bit fanciful, doesn't it? ¡No mates al mensajero!
http://ezinearticles.com/?Exploring-...ain&id=2062289

Last edited by agoreira; Apr 1st 2011 at 8:18 am.