Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Rio Tinto:TV Historical/Drama

Rio Tinto:TV Historical/Drama

Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rio Tinto:TV Historical/Drama

Hi,
Did anyone watch Spanish TV (not sure if it was on TVE) on Friday evening (13th)? A TV movie/historical drama was screened, and it was suppose to be about a riot/massacre and the miners of the Rio Tinto area in Huelva during the 19th century. I missed it, and was wondering what the story was all about?
Thanks,
Carol
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Rita1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rio Tinto:TV Historical/Drama

No, I didn't see it - I've seen a lot about it recently but assumed it was something about to arrive in the cinema.

They were discussing the book yesterday on El público lee (C2 And) - apparently the author's interest stems from stories his grandmother told him.

I wish I'd known it was on, but like they say, you should always read the book before seeing the film....
Old Apr 16th 2007, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

If I post a link the Mods will delay my post, but google for

Corazon de la tierra

The film website comes up and there's an Ingles button if you want it in English.

And yes, it seems to be a cinema release, so not sure what it was on TVE on Friday.

Last edited by Rita1; Apr 16th 2007 at 5:06 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

I'm assured the link will be allowed - this is the english version

http://www.heartoftheearththemovie.com/
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hola,
Thanks Rita1 for this information. I couldn't remember the name, but should have listened better to the TV info. It might have been Canal Sur, not TVE, but it looks like it has been a cinema release (from the 13th April) as you say.
I'll keep an eye out for the book!
Regards,
Carol
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping this because I see it's now been released on DVD, if anyone is still interested.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Rio Tinto:TV Historical/Drama

Originally Posted by rachelk
Bumping this because I see it's now been released on DVD, if anyone is still interested.
Hi rachelk,

Is it available in UK?

Regards,

John.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know - don't know if it was released there or under what title

But according to this

http://www.elcorteingles.es/cine/pro...a=25941712983#

the film is in both spanish and english and the spanish dvd has english subtitltes

(Click on contenidos extra to confirm)
Old Dec 7th 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hola!

Who's got ready the popcorn?

Thank you, rachelk, for taking the trouble to post this info. Karma to you.

Has anyone seen this film?

Regards,
Carol
Old Dec 7th 2007, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi,
Did anyone watch Spanish TV (not sure if it was on TVE) on Friday evening (13th)? A TV movie/historical drama was screened, and it was suppose to be about a riot/massacre and the miners of the Rio Tinto area in Huelva during the 19th century. I missed it, and was wondering what the story was all about?
Thanks,
Carol
I seen this in the cinema in Spanish, the wife of a friend I work with organised Myramark park 'Fuengirola' to show it last April (I think it was April) as their daughter appeared in the film.

It is basically part of the history involving the Rio Tinto mines and the English owners explotation of the miners at the time (1880's or there abouts). Franco took it off the owners in the 1950's if I remember correctly. I found the film interesting as I have been at the mines a few times, it is amazing looking down into the main open mine 'caldero'. If you are near it is worth a visit as there is a small museum which is interesting.

I don't know if as a visitor you can get into the areas that where mined but there are bright green ponds and multi coloured rivers that look absolutely amazing, although this is caused totally by pollution.

Interesting history behind Rio Tinto if you look into it, the Romans mined there, the first 'actual' football team in Spain 'Huelva Recreation' was formed in 1889 by British workers at the mine. Beside the museum there is a street of houses that look very similer to a row of old English houses which where probably built by the English and used by management.

Last edited by Econ; Dec 7th 2007 at 8:06 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you, rachelk, for taking the trouble to post this info. Karma to you.
Why! - thank you kindly!

I haven't seen it, I just remembered the thread when i saw an ad for the dvd in the paper this morning.

I sometimes look for (subtitled) spanish films for christmas presents to take back to the uk, but right now can't think of a potential recipient for this one.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of

Hi,
Thanks,
Carol
John, you really ought to go to the mine for the day.There are three main attractions:
1) the huge open cast pit with a full sized steam loco just visibly on the far side. Looks as big as Kimberley but probably not as deep.

2) An excellent museum with a recreation of a roman mine. Here you find the answer to your question about the massacre.The company wanted to mine under the town so wanted to move the inhabitants and demolish the buildings. The local objected and the mine police went in and a rather nasty fight developed.

3) A tourist train that goes through the old mine workings and down the Rio Tinto for about 10 ks.

All in all an exellent day out and sometime the train is steam hauled. For those who might be interested there is a rather sad 'Garrett' loco in the engine depot just waiting to be restored. These locos were built in the UK as most of the locos in the mine were and this type were articulated with driving wheels at both ends. Very good value for money and worth the drive.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Hola!

This all sounds good to me! ( Especially the trains!) Think I'll order the dvd.
Thank you, Econ and Finca Steve, for your posts, and again, Rita1 and rachelk!

rachelk, any other spanish film titles worth including in my order, or would that be giving away the surprise at Christmastime?

Regards,
Carol
Old Dec 8th 2007, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Rio Tinto:TV Historical/Drama

Originally Posted by finca steve
John, you really ought to go to the mine for the day.There are three main attractions:
1) the huge open cast pit with a full sized steam loco just visibly on the far side. Looks as big as Kimberley but probably not as deep.

2) An excellent museum with a recreation of a roman mine. Here you find the answer to your question about the massacre.The company wanted to mine under the town so wanted to move the inhabitants and demolish the buildings. The local objected and the mine police went in and a rather nasty fight developed.

3) A tourist train that goes through the old mine workings and down the Rio Tinto for about 10 ks.

All in all an exellent day out and sometime the train is steam hauled. For those who might be interested there is a rather sad 'Garrett' loco in the engine depot just waiting to be restored. These locos were built in the UK as most of the locos in the mine were and this type were articulated with driving wheels at both ends. Very good value for money and worth the drive.
Hi finca Steve,

Different John but yes as soon as we are over with more time to explore I want to visit the mine. I particularly want to see a terraced row of Victorian houses in the heart of Spain and find out about the first Spanish football club.

Do I remember a few years back that one of the dams containing liquor from the old mine workings burst and created a huge environmental disaster?

Regards,

John.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Do I remember a few years back that one of the dams containing liquor from the old mine workings burst and created a huge environmental disaster?
There was an environmental disaster caused but the mine, it did a lot of damage in Donaña.
http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/what_...m?uNewsID=1898

BTW, here is a geocities image of the open cast pit, doesn't look as impressive in the photo as it does in the real, if you look at the elements at the top of the image you can start to get a feel for the size of it.
http://www.geocities.com/carrizo.geo/corta.jpg

You can actually see an old steam engine on one of the rings, look for the old yellow truck about 8 rings above the tunnel, the next ring down to the right there are a couple of old bits of machinery but the 'little brown mark' on yet the next ring below there is an old steam loco. If you have a Mac click the image and it will zoom 'probably works on windows?' and make it a little! easier to make out. Might need your glasses though!

I found these on YouTube... (There a quite a few bits and peices there)

Collection of Rio Tinto images:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXdQJ4Rg7wU

Someones home video from Huelva and Rio tinto, the Rio tinto stuff starts with the soundtrack changes to Queen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9txQ...eature=related

Cine Andalucia on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50u0...eature=related

Enjoy

Last edited by Econ; Dec 8th 2007 at 11:09 am. Reason: Cine Andalucia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.