Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Rights of my Non-EU Wife

Rights of my Non-EU Wife

Old May 7th 2019, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Csimmons9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rights of my Non-EU Wife

Hi, I am a UK Citizen and my wife is a US Citizen. She is currently in the UK on a family of a settled person visa, which we will be intending to renew in 2021. I am interested in a fixed-term post available with the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office in Spain. What would my partner’s rights be in terms of both living and working with me in Spain, and when it comes to renewing her UK Visa?
Old May 7th 2019, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rights of my Non-EU Wife

Originally Posted by Csimmons9
Hi, I am a UK Citizen and my wife is a US Citizen. She is currently in the UK on a family of a settled person visa, which we will be intending to renew in 2021. I am interested in a fixed-term post available with the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office in Spain. What would my partner’s rights be in terms of both living and working with me in Spain, and when it comes to renewing her UK Visa?

With regard her renewing her visa in 2021, the visa was issued so that you and your wife could live in the UK. If you now intend to live in Spain for long term then that does not fulfill the 'spirit' of the visa. At the time of renewing you would need to explain the long absence - one outcome might be that you would need to have an extention to your current visa. Long absences have an affect on when you can get Idefinite Leave to Remain and naturalisation.
Old May 7th 2019, 8:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

How long is the contract? Are you currently a Crown servant or will this be a locally engaged position?
Old May 7th 2019, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Csimmons9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
How long is the contract? Are you currently a Crown servant or will this be a locally engaged position?
I am currently a civil servant, but this would be with a different government department.
Old May 7th 2019, 10:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Csimmons9
I am currently a civil servant, but this would be with a different government department.
Is this an internal vacancy or will you be applying as an external candidate? Will you be travelling on a diplomatic or official passport?