Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

RHD cars in Spain.

RHD cars in Spain.

Old May 1st 2010, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RHD cars in Spain.

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
was thinking the same, my road tax is 60€this year (up from 53€ last year) so a fiesta is going to be around 39€ at a rough guess.
I checked with my husband. Nope, it was 9 euros. I even went back to the office, thinking that must be quarterly. The nice man said no, I'd get a bit of paper through the post when it was due in a year's time!
BTW My husband is unemployed but has always been self-employed in England. (He writes (wrote) websites and management systems) He daren't 'start' here yet, until he can hit the ground running because his social security (national insurance)will be 250 euros a month from the very first month. Income or no income. Mine (cos I'm a bit older) is 271.
So you win some...you lose some. But if anyone knows of a job for him.......Yes I know. 20% unemployment!
Old May 1st 2010, 8:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You really are missing the point .

The certificate only proves that you have the right to stay in Spain for more than 90 days and I am not suggesting that you should not register.

It may well entitle you to certain things but the only thing that proves you are legally and fiscally resident in Spain is either a copy of your tax return or a certificate of fiscal residency from the tax office.

Just try and get a notary to give you relief from the CGT retention if you sell a house or try and get the tax office to give you relief from IHT with just one of these worthless A4 pieces of paper. Incidentally the old residencia card is not acceptable for this purpose either.
I am not missing the point, when Social Security asked for my Residencia I showed them my green a4 residencia certificate and they accepted it no question as proof .
Old May 3rd 2010, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

MikeQuigley is an unknown quantity at this point

In September, we moved to Spain (Seville) for one year. To be legal, we decided to change to Spanish plates, even though it is not cheap. If you fail to comply with Spanish law, and you have an accident, it's possible that your insurance company will walk away from you.
We used the company ME Express, based near Malaga, and were very pleased with their service:
M.E.EXPRESS S.L.
Avda. Constitución 3
Alhaurín el Grande
29120 Málaga

Tlf.: 952 49 00 28 Email: [email protected]

Once you are in Spain and have got your resident's certificate, move quickly, because there are additional costs (taxes) if you don't. ME can advise you.
We have a Citroen Picasso. Changing the headlights at a Citroen dealer cost about €400. Perhaps we could have done it cheaper elsewhere, but we wanted to be sure that if the car failed the ITV (Spanish MOT), we could dump the problem on the dealer. Our bill from ME totalled about €1100.

We insured with IBEX, who speak English and were helpful:
Faye Dobson | Customer Service | Ibex Insurance Services | Lloyd's Coverholder
DD: (+34) 956 584 644

T: 900 707 000 (From Spain)
T: 800 860 705 (From Portugal)
T: 0845 652 4239 (From United Kingdom)
T: 01 246 7677 (From Ireland)
E: [email protected]
www.ibexinsure.com

Good luck !
Old May 4th 2010, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Thank's Mike
Old May 5th 2010, 9:57 am
Just Joined

campello is an unknown quantity at this point

Just out of interest, those of you who live in Spain and drive Spanish cars, have you got a Spanish Driving licence or is it OK to drive on a UK Licence?

Thanks.
Old May 5th 2010, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

EU licenses are valid throughout the eu.

However if the home address is incorrect then you are liable to a penalty.

So it depends on your residency/home address.
Old May 5th 2010, 1:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campello
Just out of interest, those of you who live in Spain and drive Spanish cars, have you got a Spanish Driving licence or is it OK to drive on a UK Licence?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
EU licenses are valid throughout the eu.

However if the home address is incorrect then you are liable to a penalty.

So it depends on your residency/home address.
DVLA reply in the free beer thread.

"Drivers who take up residence in another EC/EEA country no longer have to exchange their driving licence, but may continue to drive using their own national licence for as long as is remains valid. You should however check with the appropriate driving licensing authorities where you are now resident for information on any conditions that the host member state may stipulate.

National licences may only carry an address from the country which issued that licence. We are therefore unable to re-issue your British licence with a foreign address. It is accepted that drivers who move to another part of the EC/EEA could be holding driving licences showing an incorrect address. This is permissible under the terms of the EC Directive on Driving Licences."
Old May 5th 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

appropriate driving licensing authorities where you are now resident for information on any conditions that the host member state may stipulate
And as with most (though not all eu countries) Spain (as UK) demands a correct address.
Old May 5th 2010, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

And as with most (though not all eu countries) Spain (as UK) demands a correct address.

Many Brits Ive come across use a family members UK address, whilst you obviously are not exemp from traffic fines/bans in Spain they will not show up with DVLA....yet.
Old May 5th 2010, 1:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

That part of the quote was for the medical.
Don`t know anyone that has been fined with a UK address on a UK licence.

"It is accepted that drivers who move to another part of the EC/EEA could be holding driving licences showing an incorrect address. This is permissible under the terms of the EC Directive on Driving Licences."
Old May 5th 2010, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nope.

The driving licence must show a "legitimate" address. If you have a house in the UK and a house in Spain it is perfectly legal to have a UK licence with your UK address. That is legal in your home country and remains legal in another EU country.

It is an offence punishable by up to £1,000 (but no penalty points) in the UK to have an incorrect address (an address which you neither own, rent or reside in) on your licence. The DVLA is quite clear: you have to inform them of a change of address.

It is also illegal in Spain.

Your licence must show a correct address. You cannot just make up an address for your driving licence. Its plain stupid. Think about it.

Motorists could be facing combined fines of almost £1billion through failing to change their driving licence details after moving home, the RAC Foundation has warned.

Latest Government figures have shown that as many as 19 per cent of all licences are thought to carry incorrect address details.
That means around 7.9 million drivers are facing fines of up to £1,000.
'Drivers should also be aware that incorrect paperwork might invalidate their insurance.'
Mr Glaister added: 'It seems many drivers simply don't know they are in breach of the law and even if they are aware of the requirements they might not be able to find the vital paper counterpart to their photocard licences which is needed to complete the process.
So, when in Spain you need a licence with a valid address. This is an address at which you can be contacted - in other words you reside there on at least some occasions.
Old May 5th 2010, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

campello is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, That's what I read hence the question. I'll get a spanish licence as well when I become resident in spain!
Old May 5th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campello
Thanks, That's what I read hence the question. I'll get a spanish licence as well when I become resident in spain!

Then you will get points or rather loose them in Spain
Old May 5th 2010, 4:57 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Your licence must show a correct address. You cannot just make up an address for your driving licence. Its plain stupid. Think about it.
I am afraid you are completely wrong about this.

As JDR pointed out, the DVLA are happy that you can have an address on a UK licence that is no longer your valid address and this is consistent with EU law.

The Guardia could not care less about an address - Spanish licences do not have any address on them.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:01 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.

The driving licence must show a "legitimate" address. If you have a house in the UK and a house in Spain it is perfectly legal to have a UK licence with your UK address. That is legal in your home country and remains legal in another EU country.

It is an offence punishable by up to £1,000 (but no penalty points) in the UK to have an incorrect address (an address which you neither own, rent or reside in) on your licence. The DVLA is quite clear: you have to inform them of a change of address.

It is also illegal in Spain.

So, when in Spain you need a licence with a valid address. This is an address at which you can be contacted - in other words you reside there on at least some occasions.
How can you when Spanish licences don't show addresses - I think your argument is flawed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.