Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

RHD cars in Spain.

RHD cars in Spain.

Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of
Default Re: RHD cars in Spain.

"you can tax any motor vehicle at your local town hall - foreign plated as well as Spanish"
No you can't!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
im glad that jdr said all that before i did .. only just seen this thread

regards the a8 - yes, it can be re-registered and no, it wont be cheap. headlights, rear lights, first itv, tech report will be about a grand. the tax.. well.. an a8?? that was what, 40k? new.. only 3 years old.. as i say.. wont be pocket change.

as for the rep driving a uk plated vehicle.

i feel that if hes not driving it for more than 6 months in any one country.. it cant be illegal? BUT.. if he is here in spain for more than 6 months of the year then he is driving a foreign plated vehicle illegally. why dont they get him a spanish hire car ? that would cut out any confusion.

fortunately, we do try and do things "the legal way" here in spain.. but some people just seem to take advantage. i feel these times are coming to an end, now that the police / town halls are looking to make up a bit of cash.
I brought my little Fiesta into Spain. About half the time it was in Portugal's Airport car park though. Finally registered it at the end of last year. I agree. the cost varies depending on how valuable the car is. But overall for a reasonably priced car you can expect to pay over 1000 euros for all the bits and bobs. This is my experience.First you need to change the lights. Then you need something called a Ficha reducida, which is a stupid little bit of paper that says less than your original registration document but you have to go to a technical gestor for. Costs significantly more than it's worth! Then you go to the ITV and pay more than the normal charge ...Just because;-) They give you your ITV for 2 years then you have to come back later for the report. Then go to the Policia Traffico dept who give you a couple of forms to pay your road tax (here's the nice bit) 9 euros a year. and Hacienda where you pay a certain percentage (about 5% I think) of your car's second hand value in Spain (which is significantly higher that it's second hand value in England) When you have done all that you can go back and apply for your new registration. Finally buy the new plates!
I think that's the right order...from memory.
I was really lucky. My car ends in OO GRR This means nothing to Spaniards, but I love having a GRR behind me when some Tw** in a Seat sticks to my rear end!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
Just to satisfy you I Googled it at half time.
Nothing at all about being resident in two countries at once
I Googled as well, you need to define what you mean by residency.

An important decision by Mr Justice Munby in the English High Court has decided that in European Brussels II cases:

habitual residence must be defined in accordance with European community law;

habitual residence is more directed to a person’s fixed centre of interest rather than length of residency;

a person can only have one habitual residence at any one time but can be resident in more than one country at any one time;

habitual residence can be lost and gained within a day akin to domicile; and previous English law on residency and habitual residency still applies in non EU cases.

Jim
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I brought my little Fiesta into Spain. About half the time it was in Portugal's Airport car park though. Finally registered it at the end of last year. I agree. the cost varies depending on how valuable the car is. But overall for a reasonably priced car you can expect to pay over 1000 euros for all the bits and bobs. This is my experience.First you need to change the lights. Then you need something called a Ficha reducida, which is a stupid little bit of paper that says less than your original registration document but you have to go to a technical gestor for. Costs significantly more than it's worth! Then you go to the ITV and pay more than the normal charge ...Just because;-) They give you your ITV for 2 years then you have to come back later for the report. Then go to the Policia Traffico dept who give you a couple of forms to pay your road tax (here's the nice bit) 9 euros a year. and Hacienda where you pay a certain percentage (about 5% I think) of your car's second hand value in Spain (which is significantly higher that it's second hand value in England) When you have done all that you can go back and apply for your new registration. Finally buy the new plates!
I was really lucky. My car ends in OO GRR This means nothing to Spaniards, but I love having a GRR behind me when some Tw** in a Seat sticks to my rear end!
9 Euros a year !!! Is that correct, or is it a typo ? Surely it should have said Eur 90 ?
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
I Googled as well, you need to define what you mean by residency.

An important decision by Mr Justice Munby in the English High Court has decided that in European Brussels II cases:

habitual residence must be defined in accordance with European community law;

habitual residence is more directed to a person’s fixed centre of interest rather than length of residency;

a person can only have one habitual residence at any one time but can be resident in more than one country at any one time;

habitual residence can be lost and gained within a day akin to domicile; and previous English law on residency and habitual residency still applies in non EU cases.

Jim
Did the link explain how to do it ? because in Europe you have to de register when you leave and register in the new country.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Did the link explain how to do it ? because in Europe you have to de register when you leave and register in the new country.
Once again you are confusing the requirement to register on the database of foreigners in Spain with residency. They are entirely different.

It doesn't necessarily apply to "Europe" as you put it. Under EU law any EU nation can ask for registration if your stay exceeds 90 days if they wish to do so (Spain does) but not all do.

Just because you lose your EU tourist status after 90 days does not make you a Spanish resident otherwise a couple of million winter visitors would be classed as resident which clearly they are not.

For almost all legal/tax/car registration requirements of residency the usual 183 days in one calendar year rule applies.

It is entirely possible to be tax resident in more than one country especially as the UK rule can be only 90 days and even then they can stretch that rule (if you are wealthy enough for them to bother) under the same rules that apply to domicile (ie membership of a UK golf club could be a problem).

For anything remotely significant with regard to the law in Spain, tax residency is the only important criteria.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savateur
9 Euros a year !!! Is that correct, or is it a typo ? Surely it should have said Eur 90 ?
was thinking the same, my road tax is 60€this year (up from 53€ last year) so a fiesta is going to be around 39€ at a rough guess.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
thanks, i know.. ive re-registered 8? 10? cars and a couple of them have been classics. i really should charge more for my services lol
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Once again you are confusing the requirement to register on the database of foreigners in Spain with residency. They are entirely different.

The certificate you get clearly states that you have permission for residency in Spain

It doesn't necessarily apply to "Europe" as you put it. Under EU law any EU nation can ask for registration if your stay exceeds 90 days if they wish to do so (Spain does) but not all do.

Most countries require residency permission and some require more to stay in them.

Just because you lose your EU tourist status after 90 days does not make you a Spanish resident otherwise a couple of million winter visitors would be classed as resident which clearly they are not.

If they stay for more than three months they are required to register for extended residency.

For almost all legal/tax/car registration requirements of residency the usual 183 days in one calendar year rule applies.

It is entirely possible to be tax resident in more than one country especially as the UK rule can be only 90 days and even then they can stretch that rule (if you are wealthy enough for them to bother) under the same rules that apply to domicile (ie membership of a UK golf club could be a problem).

For anything remotely significant with regard to the law in Spain, tax residency is the only important criteria.
Well the way I read it is different to the way you do in the above quote.
Anyway I am talking about if you are a resident in Spain and you leave the country to move back to the UK or France , or Portugal , or Italy.
You need to de register and register in the new country.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

was thinking the same, my road tax is 60€this year (up from 53€ last year) so a fiesta is going to be around 39€ at a rough guess.
Different councils have different amounts, ours is sky high here subsidising all the dodgy UK cars.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
Different councils have different amounts, ours is sky high here subsidising all the dodgy UK cars.
just got a car from fuengerola, 2.5 v6.. 130€ a year
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Well the way I read it is different to the way you do in the above quote.
Anyway I am talking about if you are a resident in Spain and you leave the country to move back to the UK or France , or Portugal , or Italy.
You need to de register and register in the new country.

"The certificate you get clearly states that you have permission for residency in Spain"

The certificate clearly states that you have the right of residency in Spain ( as opposed to being a 90 day tourist) – it DOES NOT make you a resident of Spain for legal or tax purposes.

"Most countries require residency permission and some require more to stay in them."

Some do some don't – it is not an EU wide rule so to say that you must register in the country you move to in not necessarily correct. Under EEU law they can ask for proof of income and health cover – Spain does not (they used to).

Yes, if you are on the foreigner register you need to de-register if you leave Spain (not that it will make any difference).

If you are a "real" resident, ie tax resident, then you will definitely need to advise them that you are no longer tax resident - but, just like the UK, they will probably require proof that you are now tax resident somewhere else.

Once again, registration on the foreigners register does NOT automatically make you a fiscal resident of Spain.

It's really that simple.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

thanks, i know.. ive re-registered 8? 10? cars and a couple of them have been classics. i really should charge more for my services lol
Why don't you, theres a company in Alicante doing it, they've been around a while. May use them myself !
Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Fred James

The certificate clearly states that you have the right of residency in Spain ( as opposed to being a 90 day tourist) – it DOES NOT make you a resident of Spain for legal or tax purposes.
Sorry but the residency card or the new residency certificate which are now issued when you sign on at the police station after being here 3 months, these are the only proof you have of being resident in Spain for a lot of things in this area.
The first things they ask for is your residencia and padrone and passport.
It would certainly not be simple to go to the Social security office or similar without them.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Sorry but the residency card or the new residency certificate which are now issued when you sign on at the police station after being here 3 months, these are the only proof you have of being resident in Spain for a lot of things in this area.
The first things they ask for is your residencia and padrone and passport.
It would certainly not be simple to go to the Social security office or similar without them.
You really are missing the point .

The certificate only proves that you have the right to stay in Spain for more than 90 days and I am not suggesting that you should not register.

It may well entitle you to certain things but the only thing that proves you are legally and fiscally resident in Spain is either a copy of your tax return or a certificate of fiscal residency from the tax office.

Just try and get a notary to give you relief from the CGT retention if you sell a house or try and get the tax office to give you relief from IHT with just one of these worthless A4 pieces of paper. Incidentally the old residencia card is not acceptable for this purpose either.

Last edited by Fred James; Apr 30th 2010 at 10:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.