Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

RHD cars in Spain.

RHD cars in Spain.

Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:18 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RHD cars in Spain.

Originally Posted by Rotor
So a Spanish resident cant fly to the UK ,rent a UK vehicle and drive it back to Spain on business ?

I think thats wrong as it goes against free trade agreements and restricts employment oportunities.
Different rules for rental cars.

As I said, it's complicated and as you correctly pointed out, it's not black and white!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Then you are in no position to post on the subject
Reread my post, it was a question on how can you be resident in two countries at once.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:54 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Ah , now you suggesting a Spanish resident cant work for a UK company? not true as you know and if his work involves travelling around europe so be it , he`s not using his car ,it`s the company`s.

The Guardia dont do as they like as they are accountable to the courts ,ie a judge over rules the Guardia , confiscating a legitimate businessmans car dose not happen ,it would go against eu laws on competativness, right to work anywhere in the eu etc.

And you cant compare the mayor with legitimate businessmen
But he lives in Spain and is driving a foreign vehicle.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:58 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

So a Spanish resident cant fly to the UK ,rent a UK vehicle and drive it back to Spain on business ?

I think thats wrong as it goes against free trade agreements and restricts employment oportunities.
How many car rental places do you know that would let a foreigner hire a car and allow it to be taken to their own country.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
How can he be a resident of two countries at once ?
Google "dual residency"
Originally Posted by jdr
I don`t need to, I only live in Spain
Then you are in no position to post on the subject
Originally Posted by jdr
Reread my post, it was a question on how can you be resident in two countries at once.
But you refused to look up the answers
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

But you refused to look up the answers
Just to satisfy you I Googled it at half time.
Nothing at all about being resident in two countries at once
Just duel citizenship and duel tax residency.

If you leave Spain to be resident in another country you have to deregister and inform the Police, Hacienda, Social security and probably other government offices and then register in the new country, so I would assume it is impossible to be resident in two countries at the same time.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

im glad that jdr said all that before i did .. only just seen this thread

regards the a8 - yes, it can be re-registered and no, it wont be cheap. headlights, rear lights, first itv, tech report will be about a grand. the tax.. well.. an a8?? that was what, 40k? new.. only 3 years old.. as i say.. wont be pocket change.

as for the rep driving a uk plated vehicle.

i feel that if hes not driving it for more than 6 months in any one country.. it cant be illegal? BUT.. if he is here in spain for more than 6 months of the year then he is driving a foreign plated vehicle illegally. why dont they get him a spanish hire car ? that would cut out any confusion.

fortunately, we do try and do things "the legal way" here in spain.. but some people just seem to take advantage. i feel these times are coming to an end, now that the police / town halls are looking to make up a bit of cash.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:48 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another example of the grey area. I know a couple who who brought a disability car to Spain, along with their disability living allowance around ten years ago, all quite legitimately.

Last year they got a new disability car from England, a really nice one, and sold on the old one in Spain. Both cars are on English plates, I don't know if you can even put a car supplied by the English social services on Sanish plates.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:31 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

All these grey areas means more chances of being fined. Get it right with all the right paperwork and away goes the greyness in ones life. You can all live in the briliant sunshine and not have to look behind. That gives you a pain in the neck.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:20 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much everything's already been said so just want to add this......very, very, very nice car! Which engine?
Old Apr 29th 2010, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Pretty much everything's already been said so just want to add this......very, very, very nice car! Which engine?
Yes I agree, it look's like it's descending into another row

To reiterate. I plan on doing EVERYTHING legal. ASAP. This car, along with my share portfolio & saving's account, is the only thing of value that I own, I have no property.
As such I don't want to lose it by trying to cheat the system. That doesn't work in the UK, and I see no reason to believe it would work in Spain.

In answer to the question, it's the 3.0 TDI Qauttro SE.

Last edited by savateur; Apr 29th 2010 at 4:50 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:23 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savateur
Yes I agree, it look's like it's descending into another row

To reiterate. I plan on doing EVERYTHING legal. ASAP. This car, along with my share portfolio & saving's account, is the only thing of value that I own, I have no property.
As such I don't want to lose it by trying to cheat the system. That doesn't work in the UK, and I see no reason to believe it would work in Spain.

In answer to the question, it's the 3.0 TDI Qauttro SE.
Good on you, sounds like you have your head screwed on with this one............if you decide you don't like the car I could look after it very, very well for you.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Different rules for rental cars.

As I said, it's complicated and as you correctly pointed out, it's not black and white!
Like I said in my first post the car is a contract hire so it is then legal?

I think you will find vehicle laws and right to work/travel laws conflict in Spain which is not surprising!

Last edited by Rotor; Apr 30th 2010 at 9:49 am.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

This from a letter in the Euro Weekly News this week:

"you can tax any motor vehicle at your local town hall - foreign plated as well as Spanish"

written by a gentleman in Malaga.

Surely that can't be right?
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
This from a letter in the Euro Weekly News this week:

"you can tax any motor vehicle at your local town hall - foreign plated as well as Spanish"

written by a gentleman in Malaga.

Surely that can't be right?

Extremely unlikley ....would be nice though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.