Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

RHD cars in Spain.

RHD cars in Spain.

Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:02 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RHD cars in Spain.

When I answered this thread I should have added now watch the miss-information fly out of the woodwork.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:20 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I think if we told the authorities exactly the same as we post on the forums, there wouldn't be many of us left in Spain.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Tell me the bit about how you can only drive a UK car for up to six months in any one year in Spain, and you have to be a UK resident.
Oh and the bit about if you are living here permanently over 3 months you have to sign on the residents list at the police station.
Oh and the bit about a Spanish resident needs to matriculate his vehicles to Spanish plates as soon as possible.
Or are you immune to Spanish laws.

As you seemed so clued up tell me if my friend is legal , he is a Brit and Spainsh resident who drives a UK reg car which belongs to his UK Ltd company ,his work involves travelling all over europe including a lot of time spent in Spain where his house is,
He dose not know one month from the next where he will have to go, the cars spends time in Gib, Spain, France and Holland as dose he.
Also worth noting the car is a contract hire one.

Not black and white is it.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 12:01 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It's far from black and white. If you're retired, or semi-retired and have made up your mind to see your time out in the sun, then the laws are relatively simple; but for younger people who are trying out Spain, whether self employed or working, or running a business involving more than one country, then it's entirely different.

For the latter, the UK registered car is almost an irrelevance, it's a car that is currently being used in Spain, but it might be in France or back in England a few months down the line. Why would you register such a car in Spain, or the next country you may take it to?

Then comes the six month rule, and it's unlikely that young people in business or working have made up their minds by then, so they extend the time limit by a year or two, and there are various ways of doing that as legally as possible.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 12:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
As you seemed so clued up tell me if my friend is legal , he is a Brit and Spainsh resident who drives a UK reg car which belongs to his UK Ltd company ,his work involves travelling all over europe including a lot of time spent in Spain where his house is,
He dose not know one month from the next where he will have to go, the cars spends time in Gib, Spain, France and Holland as dose he.
Also worth noting the car is a contract hire one.

Not black and white is it.
I hope he doesn`t get the car towed to the pound, it would be the start of a nightmare for him.
How can he be a resident of two countries at once ?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 12:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
It's far from black and white. If you're retired, or semi-retired and have made up your mind to see your time out in the sun, then the laws are relatively simple; but for younger people who are trying out Spain, whether self employed or working, or running a business involving more than one country, then it's entirely different.

For the latter, the UK registered car is almost an irrelevance, it's a car that is currently being used in Spain, but it might be in France or back in England a few months down the line. Why would you register such a car in Spain, or the next country you may take it to?

Then comes the six month rule, and it's unlikely that young people in business or working have made up their minds by then, so they extend the time limit by a year or two, and there are various ways of doing that as legally as possible.
You mean like keep looking over your shoulder.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I hope he doesn`t get the car towed to the pound, it would be the start of a nightmare for him.
He`s not, you dont have to be resident in the UK to own a business there, and you dont have to live in the UK to work for a UK company,neither can Spain stop its residents working for a UK company , I also said his car is in the control of his business which being limited is a legal entity in itself so in the eyes of the law the car belongs to xxxx Ltd not him personally.

The car wont be towed because its legal.

Like I said not black and white.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Google "dual residency"
Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Google "dual residency"
I don`t need to, I only live in Spain
Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

He`s not, you dont have to be resident in the UK to own a business there, and you dont have to live in the UK to work for a UK company,neither can Spain stop its residents working for a UK company , I also said his car is in the control of his business which being limited is a legal entity in itself so in the eyes of the law the car belongs to xxxx Ltd not him personally.

The car wont be towed because its legal.

Like I said not black and white.
The car may be legal in a UK company, but is the driver if he is a Spanish resident ?
Don`t forget the Guardia just do as they like and you have to prove you are legal.
Remember the Marbella mayors car.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:47 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr
You mean like keep looking over your shoulder.
It doesn't do any harm to occasionally look over your shoulder, you might spot the mugger who wants to nick your pension money, either the one operating in Benalmadena, or the one with the blue rosette back in London.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
The car may be legal in a UK company, but is the driver if he is a Spanish resident ?
Don`t forget the Guardia just do as they like and you have to prove you are legal.
Remember the Marbella mayors car.
Ah , now you suggesting a Spanish resident cant work for a UK company? not true as you know and if his work involves travelling around europe so be it , he`s not using his car ,it`s the company`s.

The Guardia dont do as they like as they are accountable to the courts ,ie a judge over rules the Guardia , confiscating a legitimate businessmans car dose not happen ,it would go against eu laws on competativness, right to work anywhere in the eu etc.

And you cant compare the mayor with legitimate businessmen
Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

and if his work involves travelling around europe so be it , he`s not using his car ,it`s the company`s.
The EU rules on temporary importation of cars cover the eventuality of people working in different countries and regularly crossing borders in the course of their job.

However it is the residency of the worker that determines whether he can drive a foreign registered car. A Spanish resident can only drive a Spanish registered car (apart from the first 6 months of residency).

Residency in this case is determined by where his permanent home is which is usually, but not always, where he spends more than 183 days in one calendar year. It has nothing to do with any requirement to sign on the register of foreigners after 90 days - that is a separate system.

I don't think that the fact that a UK company owns the car makes much difference - it's all about residents and what they can drive rather than what they can own.

There is some bedtime reading here but it's a bit of a head banger to understand!

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...3L0182:EN:HTML
Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I don`t need to, I only live in Spain
Then you are in no position to post on the subject
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fred James
The EU rules on temporary importation of cars cover the eventuality of people working in different countries and regularly crossing borders in the course of their job.

However it is the residency of the worker that determines whether he can drive a foreign registered car. A Spanish resident can only drive a Spanish registered car (apart from the first 6 months of residency).

Residency in this case is determined by where his permanent home is which is usually, but not always, where he spends more than 183 days in one calendar year. It has nothing to do with any requirement to sign on the register of foreigners after 90 days - that is a separate system.

I don't think that the fact that a UK company owns the car makes much difference - it's all about residents and what they can drive rather than what they can own.

There is some bedtime reading here but it's a bit of a head banger to understand!

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...3L0182:EN:HTML
So a Spanish resident cant fly to the UK ,rent a UK vehicle and drive it back to Spain on business ?

I think thats wrong as it goes against free trade agreements and restricts employment oportunities.

Last edited by Rotor; Apr 28th 2010 at 4:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.