Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

RHD cars in Spain.

RHD cars in Spain.

Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice
Default RHD cars in Spain.

Recently I have bought a very nice secondhand car, that cost a considerable amount of money.

My question is, as the car is a British registered RHD, is it possible to matriculate it to Spanish plates. Also any advice on costs would be very welcome. Just for information I plan on doing everything via a Gestor, just to be sure it's done properly.

With regard to insurance, I am aware it's likely to be horrendous, as Spain is a LHD country, but does anyone have an idea of likely figures ?

Would also like to retrofit LHD headlamps, as I understand this will be necc, again any advice on likely cost's ?

Apologies if this has all been done before !
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:15 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RHD cars in Spain.

As long as it is a car you can reg. A RHD.
Cost will depend a lot of make an model of car.
Importation will be more costly if you have not owned it for at least 6 months before hand.
Do not forget to modify the rear fog lamp too.
and yes it has been done before.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savateur
Recently I have bought a very nice secondhand car, that cost a considerable amount of money.

My question is, as the car is a British registered RHD, is it possible to matriculate it to Spanish plates. Also any advice on costs would be very welcome. Just for information I plan on doing everything via a Gestor, just to be sure it's done properly.

With regard to insurance, I am aware it's likely to be horrendous, as Spain is a LHD country, but does anyone have an idea of likely figures ?Would also like to retrofit LHD headlamps, as I understand this will be necc, again any advice on likely cost's ?

Apologies if this has all been done before !
Its been done a thousand times before, insurance is not so bad , try Expat insurance and IBEX

Get a price on your headlamps before you get in to deep ,it may put you off the idea depending on make/model.what is it.?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:33 am
Just Joined

campello is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,

I've got a RHD car in Spain on UK plates- why? I'm only here for a year then I could be working else where. I did a MOT on my car and drove it down to spain, then took up insurance with abbeygate who insured it for 1 year for 350 euro's fully comp with breakdown cover.

When the MOT is due and i'm still working in Spain i'll either drive it back to the UK and leave it there or i'll put it on spanish plates with new headlamps which I already have off ebay. If you speak spanish you can go around the scrap yards and pick up some for less than 100euros a pair.

The police are happy for you to drive your UK car around as long as;

A Current UK MOT
Insured
and UK TAXED

It's basically got to be legal as if it where in the UK.

Some insurance companies say you can get a spanish ITV done on UK plates. Yes you can- but some police don't see that as being legal and will fine you around 600 euros. So I would recommend replating the car if you keep it in spain when the MOT is due.

There are a few companies who insure UK cars in Spain, abbeygate and ibex.
And if you want the hassel taken out of replating your car in spain some expats run business doing just that.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campello
hi,

I've got a RHD car in Spain on UK plates- why? I'm only here for a year then I could be working else where. I did a MOT on my car and drove it down to spain, then took up insurance with abbeygate who insured it for 1 year for 350 euro's fully comp with breakdown cover.

When the MOT is due and i'm still working in Spain i'll either drive it back to the UK and leave it there or i'll put it on spanish plates with new headlamps which I already have off ebay. If you speak spanish you can go around the scrap yards and pick up some for less than 100euros a pair.The police are happy for you to drive your UK car around as long as;

A Current UK MOT
Insured
and UK TAXED

Some insurance companies say you can get a spanish ITV done on UK plates. Yes you can- but some police don't see that as being legal and will fine you around 600 euros. So I would recommend replating the car if you keep it in spain when the MOT is due.

And if you want the hassel taken out of replating your car in spain some expats run business doing just that.

Dont be so sure, some headlights on late model luxury cars can be 700 euro each The poster dose not mention what make/model it is.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Thats all good news.

I plan on sorting everything out as soon as I hit the ground, as I have fallen out with the "mate" I was going to work with, and now have to set up on my own !

The car itself is a 57 plate Audi A8, it took me a looong time to save up for it, and dont really want to get rid of it !

Glad to hear insurance wont be crazy. I have seen a company advertising, called Car Reg Costa Blanca, run by an expat mechanic, and his wife, who seem good, may get them to sort it out for me as they claim to be able to do it in an average of 7 days. Has anyone used these sort of companies before ?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by savateur
Thats all good news.

I plan on sorting everything out as soon as I hit the ground, as I have fallen out with the "mate" I was going to work with, and now have to set up on my own !

The car itself is a 57 plate Audi A8, it took me a looong time to save up for it, and dont really want to get rid of it !

Glad to hear insurance wont be crazy. I have seen a company advertising, called Car Reg Costa Blanca, run by an expat mechanic, and his wife, who seem good, may get them to sort it out for me as they claim to be able to do it in an average of 7 days. Has anyone used these sort of companies before ?
Some A8`s have zenon headlamps ,these can usually be adjusted for use in europe so they may cost nowt.

Get a quote off http://www.expatinsuranceinspain.com for your insurance.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rotor
Some A8`s have zenon headlamps ,these can usually be adjusted for use in europe so they may cost nowt.

Get a quote off http://www.expatinsuranceinspain.com for your insurance.
Nice one Rotor, I think it may do as the headlights are a blue colour, which my brother says are "gas headlights"

Still getting used to the thing at present, and, as it's new to me, I'm double chuffed at the responses on here, was starting to get worried it would be un-insurable in Spain !

Thanks for the link to the insurance company will get a qoute off them a bit later, (and the boss isn't around) !

Thank's everyone, you've made me a happy man
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

hi,

When the MOT is due and i'm still working in Spain i'll either drive it back to the UK and leave it there or i'll put it on spanish plates with new headlamps which I already have off ebay. If you speak spanish you can go around the scrap yards and pick up some for less than 100euros a pair.

The police are happy for you to drive your UK car around as long as;

A Current UK MOT
Insured
and UK TAXED

Tell me the bit about how you can only drive a UK car for up to six months in any one year in Spain, and you have to be a UK resident.
Oh and the bit about if you are living here permanently over 3 months you have to sign on the residents list at the police station.
Oh and the bit about a Spanish resident needs to matriculate his vehicles to Spanish plates as soon as possible.
Or are you immune to Spanish laws.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

If I where you I wouldn't bring such a nice RHD car down to spain, you can hardly leave a car for 5 mins on the street before its get's a bash from someone else trying to park!

As JDR so nicely puts, you do need to take extra steps when you become resident in spain- but until then your free to keep your car on UK plates.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 3:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If I where you I wouldn't bring such a nice RHD car down to spain, you can hardly leave a car for 5 mins on the street before its get's a bash from someone else trying to park!

As JDR so nicely puts, you do need to take extra steps when you become resident in spain- but until then your free to keep your car on UK plates.
So how come you haven`t registered if you are here for a year ?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:02 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

As JDR says, and from what you say in your posts, you should by now be registered here.

Therefore, most of what you're doing sounds illegal.

Please everyone else, do the legal thing and not what's being advised by campello.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:01 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that it's best to be totally legal when living in Spain as a foreigner, though a member of an EU state. But there are many occasions, usually trivial things, where you can't be totally legal, it's impossible. Often the laws change overnight, and don't make sense, like the driving licence and residencia fiascoes.

With UK registered cars, there are various ways to keep one in Spain, especially a valuable or treasured one, without breaking any laws. With an ordinary car it's not usually a good idea if you're set to stay, it's safer to drive with a LHD car.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

OK I should be clear. I am not breaking the law. I work both in Spain and the UK but I am not resident in Spain but the UK. I will of course register my self in Spain should I wish to become a resident
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

OK I should be clear. I am not breaking the law. I work both in Spain and the UK but I am not resident in Spain but the UK. I will of course register my self in Spain should I wish to become a resident
It`s not a choice, it depends on time spent in Spain, you said you was here for a year and then could be working elsewhere.
Look up the word Hacienda.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.