Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Returning a rented phone to Movistar

Returning a rented phone to Movistar

Old Jul 4th 2018, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Returning a rented phone to Movistar

I have only just realised that we have been renting a landline handset from Movistar (previously Telefonica) for several years at an extortionate cost of €6.61 plus VAT = €8.00 per month. We've never actually used the handset preferring our own wireless model, I thought the handset came free with the landline. So does anyone know how I get rid of the handset and cancel the monthly rental? Can I take the handset to a local Movistar shop and hand it in? Or are there several hoops that have to be jumped through to get rid of it?
Old Jul 4th 2018, 2:58 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning a rented phone to Movistar

You need to take it to one of their shops. Not sure whether you need to telephone them prior to doing that so that it is in the pipeline (cannot remember).

Rosemary
Old Jul 4th 2018, 4:37 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

When I cancelled my Movistar contract I had to ring Movistar to get a special returns number. Then I took it to the shop and they accepted it and gave me a receipt. Without the number they cannot process the return. It may be different if you are just returning the phone but a call to Movistar might save you a wasted journey.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fred and Rosemary, will give them a ring and see what transpires.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Quick update: When we got back to Spain a couple of weeks ago, I tried ringing 1004 at crack of dawn hoping to skip queues and get an English speaker. No luck, recorded message said all our operators are busy, try later or send us an email. So I emailed the contact address on their website with google-translated explanation of what I wanted. Next day I got a call from customer support (in Spanish) and the woman said they would cancel the rental and I must return the phone. She then sent me a confirmation email with a reference number. I duly took the phone and email into the Movistar shop in Gandia. After waiting in a long queue to be seen by the only person apparently on duty, I handed over the phone, showed her the email, she did a lot of typing on her PC and then produced a receipt confirming I had returned the phone. We shall spend the €8 saved each month on a menu del dia.

Thanks again to Rosemary and Fred for their advice.