Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Returning with car

Returning with car

Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

zimzam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning with car

I left Spain begining of last year and returned to the UK with my Spanish car, the tax and ITV have both expired but want to drive it back to Spain. Any ideas what to do apart from running the gauntlet down the east coast one night.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning with car

Spanish road tax, unlike the UK, is a municipal tax so the Guardia are not really interested in whether it has been paid.

As for the ITV, if you book an appointment to have it done, www.itvcita.es , and print out the appointment details I doubt that you would have a problem if stopped.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Dave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant future

Yes a really good idea,! no different than driving while drunk!
you have a car that should not be on the road, ie- no Insurance etc-
Hope you don't knock anyone down, I bet prison food is great.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:46 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Dee
Yes a really good idea,! no different than driving while drunk!
you have a car that should not be on the road, ie- no Insurance etc-
Hope you don't knock anyone down, I bet prison food is great.
Who said it wasn't insured?
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Dave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant future

No ITV /Mot no insurance.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Have kept the insurance going on the car so still insured for another 3 months, thanks Fred will try your idea
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:57 pm

"No ITV /Mot no insurance."

Why do you assume that is the case?

I am insured with Linea Directa and I asked them that specific question. Their reply was that a valid ITV is NOT a condition of the insurance policy.

I suggest you check the small print on your policy and see where the need for an ITV is mentioned.

An ITV only proves that the vehicle was roadworthy for the few minutes that it was tested - the brakes could fail 5 minutes later.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Dee
No ITV /Mot no insurance.
Whilst I cannot speak regarding France or Spain regarding insurance I have to wonder where the urban myth began in the UK that not having an MOT on your car invalidates the insurance, it doesnt!
All UK insurance companies have a standard clause that your car must be maintained in a roadworthy condition, if it isn't & they can substantiate that fact, they will not pay for the damage to your car. They still have to pay for the damage/injury that has been caused to the third party. The MIB (Motor Insurers Bureau have lost this argument in the UK Appeal Courts when their members tried to avoid paying out to the third party. Just because a car doesn't have a current MOT does not mean it is not roadworthy, just the same as a car that does have an MOT can be unroadworthy (i.e. a bald tyre).

Notwithstanding that, I personally would not take the chance of driving a vehicle without current valid documentation as I'm too tight to pay the fine if stopped.

Last edited by Bomber Harris; Jun 17th 2010 at 4:10 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
"No ITV /Mot no insurance."

Why do you assume that is the case?
Just checked the wife's motorbike policy.

Requirement to keep the vehicle in a legal roadworthy condition

No Mot not legal.

How do you prove you have been keeping the vehicle in a roadworthy condition without an MOT, agreed it only proves that it was OK at the time, but it also proves that you have been making the effort.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Dave, all I was asking was any ideas on what to do apart from driving down the east coast one night, but thanks for your valid input.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Just checked the wife's motorbike policy.

No Mot not legal.
Don't write as if your quoting from the policy, it is misleading. That phrase is not in any UK motor policy, only the bit about keeping it roadworthy is.
The abscence of a current MOT will just send the insurers round to examine the vehicle to see if they can find a fault with it.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

The phrase in the policy quote

" To maintain the vehicle in a legal and roadworthy condition "

Later in the policy quote

" You or any permitted driver are required to maintain the insured vehicle in a legal and roadworthy condition "

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jun 17th 2010 at 4:30 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
The phrase in the policy quote

" To maintain the vehicle in a legal and roadworthy condition "
The same phrase I have used throughout, you chose to add immediately afterwards in your first posting "no MOT not legal", which could be misconstrued as still qoting from the policy as you chose not to use quotation marks in that first post.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zimzam
Dave, all I was asking was any ideas on what to do apart from driving down the east coast one night, but thanks for your valid input.
contact your insurance co, tell them you will be driving say from London to Portsmouth on the 17th June, to catch the Spanish ferry,
make a appointment for a IVA test on your arrival in Spain.
Take the test, and if all is well, then you will be fully insured. to carry on your journey.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

I wouldn't drive through France, you wouldn't want to get a French bobby on a bad day!

I'd get the ferry straight to the North of Spain and book it in an ITV center near the ferry terminal......

As for the tax, do you have someone looking after your Spanish post? As by now you would have been sent the payment slip through the post, ask a friend to pay it for you and transfer them the money?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.