Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Retiring to Spain

Retiring to Spain

Old Jan 24th 2018, 1:54 am
  #16  
Started off with nothing
 
missile's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,955
missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

Originally Posted by Roblis
That's a rather smug and sanctimonious question.
It is not at all smug, it was a serious question. It is not easy relocating to any foreign country. Based on MY experience, Spain is more welcoming than many others.

Originally Posted by Roblis
My current stand is based on watching the Spanish systematically persecute British ex-pats over the last 30+ years.
I lived in Spain 25 years ago and at that time obtaining an NIE was as easy as buying washing powder. A 1hr wait at the local Ayuntamiento and I walked out of the door with it.
I have since been witness to friends and members of family being subject to land grab and more recently taxed heavily for having bought their property at a price below which the powers that be considered adequate.
Add to that the current police vendetta on foreign registered cars whereby the 30 day rule trips up unaware home buyers who are stung for a 21% IVA tax on their vehicle......when they, until recently, quite reasonably thought the 6 month rule was still in force.
This 'shifting of the goalposts' behaviour is endemic within the Iberian peninsula and many an unsuspecting and honest individual can be stung badly unless they make a point of checking rules and laws on an almost weekly basis.

What they'll try after Brexit in anybody's guess....... confiscating bank accounts???
The greed culture currently pervading this planet leaves us all open to financial rape and ruin so it would make sense to be prudent with our investments.

Or do you sniff at this as well?
Based on YOUR experience, why on earth do you want to retire here?



I would add it is YOU who is looking for our help
missile is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:01 am
  #17  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 13
Roblis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

My claims are not without foundation.

How dare you suggest that I have an attitude problem because you doubt what I say is correct or doesn't fit in your ideals?
I'll live where I choose and I'll thank you to mind your own business and keep your offensive rhetoric to yourself.
Roblis is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:03 am
  #18  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 13
Roblis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

I don't understand why you have replied to my message when it wasn't sent to your ID in the first place.....is there a gremlin in the site?
Roblis is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:04 am
  #19  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 635
Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

Originally Posted by Roblis
I have since been witness to friends and members of family being subject to land grab and more recently taxed heavily for having bought their property at a price below which the powers that be considered adequate.
Add to that the current police vendetta on foreign registered cars whereby the 30 day rule trips up unaware home buyers who are stung for a 21% IVA tax on their vehicle......when they, until recently, quite reasonably thought the 6 month rule was still in force.
This 'shifting of the goalposts' behaviour is endemic within the Iberian peninsula and many an unsuspecting and honest individual can be stung badly unless they make a point of checking rules and laws on an almost weekly basis.

What they'll try after Brexit in anybody's guess....... confiscating bank accounts???
The greed culture currently pervading this planet leaves us all open to financial rape and ruin so it would make sense to be prudent with our investments.

Or do you sniff at this as well?
And you're coming why? You must love a tan in order to put up with such nonsense.

BTW, do a bit of searching and you can find a document prepared for the UK government in which it explains how, in the event of the collapse of the system, they'll raid UK bank accounts. Plans already made.
Horlics is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:06 am
  #20  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 635
Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

Ah... just spotted you live in Coventry. I get it now.... anywhere will do.
Horlics is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:12 am
  #21  
Started off with nothing
 
missile's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,955
missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

Originally Posted by Roblis
My claims are not without foundation.

How dare you suggest that I have an attitude problem because you doubt what I say is correct or doesn't fit in your ideals?
I'll live where I choose and I'll thank you to mind your own business and keep your offensive rhetoric to yourself.
I did not dispute your experience. Although, I note others have.

It was you who accused me of having an "attitude problem". It seems you are a keyboard warrior
missile is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:42 am
  #22  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 13
Roblis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

MISSILE......It seems that replies I've sent to other ID's have found their way to you by mistake.
I'm new to this site so it's quite likely I'm doing something incorrectly .......I'm sending replies via the 'quick reply' icon at the foot of each message I receive, but I've noticed that they just get tagged on to the end of the thread.
How do I send a reply directly to a specific ID ?
Roblis is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:52 am
  #23  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 13
Roblis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

HORLICS - I'm pleased to see you've changed your stance from critical to sympathetic.

My reasons for choosing to live in Spain were not at all connected with getting a sun tan, but moreover to escape the misery of the UK climate and have a better quality of health and life in my senior years.
However, it seems my concerns regarding bank accounts being vulnerable are valid having read the articles which you kindly referred to.
It may or may not actually happen, but as Spains economy and geo-political agenda is so volatile, the Catalan crisis could certainly collapse the economy.....making public bank accounts prime targets for a bail out raid.
I shall keep my eye on the news at the same time as looking for a safer haven in the south of France......unless anybody can frighten me off there as well.
Roblis is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:54 am
  #24  
Started off with nothing
 
missile's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,955
missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

Sorry if I have misinterpreted comments which were not aimed at me.

You can click on the QUOTE option bottom left of the post or state in your reply to whom your comment is aimed as you have done here >

Originally Posted by Roblis
MISSILE......It seems that replies I've sent to other ID's have found their way to you by mistake.
I'm new to this site so it's quite likely I'm doing something incorrectly .......I'm sending replies via the 'quick reply' icon at the foot of each message I receive, but I've noticed that they just get tagged on to the end of the thread.
How do I send a reply directly to a specific ID ?
If you want to respond privately, you can send a PM to any member.

You may wish to read FAQ
missile is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2018, 6:41 am
  #25  
BE Forum Addict
 
MikeJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,675
MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

Originally Posted by Roblis
That's a rather smug and sanctimonious question.

....................................s.
I lived in Spain 25 years ago and at that time obtaining an NIE was as easy as buying washing powder. A 1hr wait at the local Ayuntamiento and I walked out of the door with it.
I................................l?
Since you already have an NIE (note the NIE is for life, it's just the certificate that needs renewing if it's needed for a specific purpose) why are you applying for another? It's entirely possible that that could be misconstrued as fraud
MikeJ is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:05 am
  #26  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 13
Roblis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

Fraud????
I'm applying for another because the one I had in 1991 has gone awol and the Spanish consulate have advised me that the only way I'm likely to retrieve it is by personally enquiring in Benalmadena ( Costa del Sol ), where it was issued......but it's not guaranteed that it would surface, adding up to a wasted and expensive trip.
I did make tentative searches for the issuing authority in the Benalmadena region but it seems a lot of things have changed in the last 25 years and maybe records have gone astray.
However, I haven't yet given up on that line of enquiry as it would certainly make life easier if I came up trumps.
Roblis is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2018, 8:12 am
  #27  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Devon/Peniscola
Posts: 149
FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

Roblis: On the subject of NIE "certificate" and renewal: when you first apply you get an A4 printed sheet with the number etc., and at the bottom it says "this certificate is valid for three months". Knowing that the number is for life we didn't bother to renew the certificates and had no difficulty until we bought a car. The dealer was unable (he did try) to register the car in my husband's name until we got a replacement certificate. It's EXACTLY the same A4 printed sheet but without the "valid for 3 months" note on the bottom. I know others in different areas have not had this difficulty when registering a car. But as we all know, it depends on who you get on the desk on the day.
FranE is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2018, 8:28 am
  #28  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 13
Roblis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

FranE........when I was issued with an NIE number in 1990 the 3 month limit hadn't been introduced. I think that was a late 90's/0's trick.
I have this evening contacted a gestor in Benalmadena to enquire about retrieving my old NIE number and a new certificate.......fat chance I suppose.
Roblis is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2018, 8:53 am
  #29  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 635
Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

Originally Posted by Roblis
HORLICS - I'm pleased to see you've changed your stance from critical to sympathetic.

My reasons for choosing to live in Spain were not at all connected with getting a sun tan, but moreover to escape the misery of the UK climate and have a better quality of health and life in my senior years.
However, it seems my concerns regarding bank accounts being vulnerable are valid having read the articles which you kindly referred to.
It may or may not actually happen, but as Spains economy and geo-political agenda is so volatile, the Catalan crisis could certainly collapse the economy.....making public bank accounts prime targets for a bail out raid.
I shall keep my eye on the news at the same time as looking for a safer haven in the south of France......unless anybody can frighten me off there as well.
Coventry.... you deserve all the sympathy you can get, and more.

The article to which I kindly referred documented the UK's preparations to raid UK bank accounts... i think you might have missed that point.

Good luck in the south of France, but unless you lose the superiority complex that comes with being a Brit you might remain miserable. But at least you won't confuse Johnny Foreigner, who's used to hearing Brits whine.
Horlics is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2018, 9:06 am
  #30  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 13
Roblis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

HORLICS.....you are the most arrogant and sanctimonious prat I've ever had the misfortune to be stuck online with....if you were stood in front of me I'd cheerfully knock your teeth out.
Don't bother whining to the BE police....I'll be unsubscribing from this pitiful forum as soon as I can find the link.
Roblis is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.