Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Retaining Spanish language in UK

Retaining Spanish language in UK

Old Feb 4th 2014, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retaining Spanish language in UK

Originally Posted by chopera
If you are based in the UK but speak fluent Spanish then there is always the chance of finding what many consider to be the "holy grail" of getting a job in the UK and then being transfered to Spain, while maintaining a relatively high salary. Once you have the foot in the door with an international company, there is usually a lot of scope for moving between countries, which also looks good on the CV.
The Holy Grail indeed, and whilst it's possible, he's now 11,12 years old, probably got conversational Spanish, he'd need to do a lot of studying to degree level to reach the level needed to hold down a high salaried job in Spain. But everything is possible.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

To fill in some of the gaps, at the moment I know he wouldn't want to leave (because he's told me although I haven't explored the possibilities with him too far for fear of derailing his current happiness at and interest in, his school and studies).
But how much of that is Spain/culture/friends and how much is just loving our home, campo life, the dogs and cats, freedom, I can't assess. I know he is regarded in almost all circumstances as equal to his classmates in terms of fluency although clearly there will always be a divide in vocabulary terms. Having had a conversation with a couple of parents as recently as last week, I think he's doing quite well in general because their children are losing out on Spanish vocab because 75% of the curriculum is in English whereas Charlie is a playground Andaluz but also obviously competent in Lengua and Cono and fine in all the English subjects (well those he enjoys, anyway, which is most of them!)
It's too early to do more than speculate about university, career, etc., but we've always seen merit in getting a feel for what other people think, what's worked for other children of different ages, etc.
Interesting points about whether or not he would actually even USE his Spanish unless he went to uni in Spain or to do Spanish at a uni somewhere else.............

Agoreira: (a) we haven't said Spain isn't doing it for us; it's fine for Charlie right now, possibly would be longer term but we have a split family existence because of the ludicrous Spanish tax system and that has started to grate on me after 7+ years. My Spanish is adequate but not good enough to feel comfortable in repartee, deeper discussions, etc. so it does impinge. No-one's fault but mine, clearly, but that's another topic altogether. (b) We haven't spoken about going back to Spain, but about going back to the UK. Possibly. Maybe. Sometime. This is just a talking shop to get some views. Well that was the plan, anyway! (c) The idea is to keep up his Spanish for HIS longer-term benefit, not some nebulous possibility of returning or for holidays etc.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

We have friends who moved back to the UK approx 4 years ago with their 2 children, both of whom were born in Spain. Their son did his final year in primary school in England, then when he moved up to secondary school he sat his GCSE Spanish in the first year (and unsurprisingly passed with flying colours!) and went on to study for A level - apparently he acts as a sort of unofficial classroom assistant to the Spanish teacher. They kept their Spanish house as they hope to be able to return one day, and their mother brings them out for most of the long summer holiday so they manage to keep in touch with their old school friends and use their Spanish. Both parents are fluent Spanish speakers too, though, and say the family do speak Spanish at home sometimes to keep it up.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
The Holy Grail indeed, and whilst it's possible, he's now 11,12 years old, probably got conversational Spanish, he'd need to do a lot of studying to degree level to reach the level needed to hold down a high salaried job in Spain. But everything is possible.

I know it's all too easy to take offence in pixelland but I've said he's fluent. Spanish friends tell me if they didn't know his voice and see him, they wouldn't know he was British. Not 'probably got conversational Spanish' which has an unspoken dig within the phrase. Having said that, clearly he would have to study further which is half of what the initial post was (unspoken, admittedly) attempting to ask about.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:25 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think I would be more concerned about settling in to different teaching methods. Not saying one is better than the other but they are different.

It is difficult to say what to do. My Grandson is taking GCSE this year and is a totally different person than when he was 12.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I think I would be more concerned about settling in to different teaching methods. Not saying one is better than the other but they are different.

It is difficult to say what to do. My Grandson is taking GCSE this year and is a totally different person than when he was 12.
He's in the British system already so apart from the natural differences between any two schools that shouldn't be an issue.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I know it's all too easy to take offence in pixelland but I've said he's fluent. Spanish friends tell me if they didn't know his voice and see him, they wouldn't know he was British. Not 'probably got conversational Spanish' which has an unspoken dig within the phrase. Having said that, clearly he would have to study further which is half of what the initial post was (unspoken, admittedly) attempting to ask about.
The only "dig" within the phrase was the one that you perceived to be there, however congratulations on having one so gifted, sorry I wasted your time.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The only "dig" within the phrase was the one that you perceived to be there, however congratulations on having one so gifted, sorry I wasted your time.

Congratulations on reminding me why I rarely come here!
Thanks to everyone (you included) who's made constructive comments.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Did you just have conversational English when you were 12? If you had moved to Spain when you were 12 would you have then had to study English to degree level if you wanted to get a job back in England later on?

In fact a know a few people who grew up in Spain until about the age of 11, and then they goit sent to boarding school in England. They might have lost a bit of Spanish while in England but they soon caught up by spending time in Spain later on.

Besides my point was that with bilingual skills someone could find a job in an international company and get transfered to Spain from the UK. In fact you don't really need the Spanish skills to get transferred, I've known a few get transferred without any Spanish.

Alternatively if you have a skillset in demand (e.g. IT, law, finance, engineering, etc) along with native English and fluent Spanish you'll be in more demand for certain jobs in Spain than the locals anyway.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera

Alternatively if you have a skillset in demand (e.g. IT, law, finance, engineering, etc) along with native English and fluent Spanish you'll be in more demand for certain jobs in Spain than the locals anyway.
Yes, at the moment I would say that it is much easier to get a good job in Spain if you are British and speak fluent Spanish, than if you are Spanish and speak fluent English

However, that may change in 10 years when the "bilingual" Spanish generation join the job market
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:49 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
He's in the British system already so apart from the natural differences between any two schools that shouldn't be an issue.
Sorry I didn't realise he was in a British school.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Sorry I didn't realise he was in a British school.
Thankfully from our perspective one with about 97% Spanish!!