British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Residency in Spain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/residency-spain-920661/)

Christobel Jan 3rd 2019 11:08 am

Residency in Spain?

Hi All, advice needed: we want to get Spanish residency/residencia. We live in our Hymer Motorhome. So we do not have a Spanish permanent address. do we need one? Would a Campsite address do? Gracias Amigos.

Loafing Along Jan 3rd 2019 3:44 pm

Re: Residency in Spain?

Originally Posted by Christobel (Post 12615622)
Hi All, advice needed: we want to get Spanish residency/residencia. We live in our Hymer Motorhome. So we do not have a Spanish permanent address. do we need one? Would a Campsite address do? Gracias Amigos.

Short answer "No" . Officially one cannot live on a campsite for a full year, some regions actually limit it to 6 months, other allow more. In effect although people do it and you can rent a space for a full year in theory you are not allowed to occupy it for the full 12 months. Campsites are considered as "tourist accomodation" .. So those who do own for 12 months can visit whenever they want but cannot "reside " there.

Christobel Jan 3rd 2019 5:03 pm

Thanks ever so much for your help n advice, a big Gracias to All!

Fred James Jan 3rd 2019 6:40 pm

I have some friends who live on a campsite permanently in a static home. No problems with residency. Whether there are different rules for mobile accommodation, I don’t know, but as long as you can give a traceable address I can’t see any problems, so long as you sign on the Padrón at that address and most councils will accept anyone on the Padrón.

Ali Jannati Jan 6th 2019 2:02 pm

Hello All, I would recommend applying for a longterm visa (1 year) and renew it each year and I believe after 5 years one would receive permanet residency in Spain. However getting a 1 -year visa could be really tough with the financial backing requirements.

snikpoh Jan 6th 2019 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ali Jannati (Post 12616948)
Hello All, I would recommend applying for a longterm visa (1 year) and renew it each year and I believe after 5 years one would receive permanet residency in Spain. However getting a 1 -year visa could be really tough with the financial backing requirements.

I'm not sure that's appropriate as I believe the OP is from the EU

The issue is about having the necessary (main) address in Spain

SpainshD Jan 9th 2019 4:27 pm

Hi, Spanish residency ins't that complex. You do need a certain amount in the bank and to prove you can look after yourself. You also need private healthcare for the first year.

Notdunroamin Jan 10th 2019 8:03 am

Nobody asked us how much we had in the bank, only for proof of regular income and even that was glossed over.

Fred James Jan 10th 2019 9:45 am

As has been said many times before. There are no hard and fast rules about what financial means are acceptable, if fact the law specifically prohibits that. As a result every office and every functionary tends to have their own rules.

Owning property, regular income, cash in bank, even credit cards can be taken into account but you will have to wait until the day you apply to find out exactly what they will accept.

ian conway Feb 16th 2019 2:47 pm

how and where do you apply for residency. we are moving to Spain in three months, although we have owned property for 4 years.

Loafing Along Feb 16th 2019 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by ian conway (Post 12638022)
how and where do you apply for residency. we are moving to Spain in three months, although we have owned property for 4 years.

All the process is carried out by the Guardia Civil , depending on which area you are living in you can check on the web for a Police Station that has a "Departamento de Extranjeria"
This web will help locate one near you : Oficinas para trámites de extranjería - Ministerio del Interior

The web will also tell you what documentation you need

bobd22 Feb 16th 2019 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Loafing Along (Post 12638023)
All the process is carried out by the Guardia Civil
The web will also tell you what documentation you need

Surely you mean Police National not Guardia?

snikpoh Feb 16th 2019 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12638037)

Yes, it's the extranjeria (foreigners office) normally in the National Police Station but sometimes elsewhere (like the Town Hall).

Loafing Along Feb 16th 2019 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12638037)

Yes !:ohmy: