Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

And rightly so white linen. That scenario however is a far cry from the situ I have described for people in my position.

If I could comply I would, if I can't I can't. Simples
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Dondurama I agree. However others will never see how absurd they have made the rules. For instance you could fly back to UK for a day after 89 days and return for other 2 months. Makes it all legal but only real difference is it has cost you an air fare. As we both can see sillyness. If the Spanish would accept long term holiday insurance now that would make more sense.
Exactly bob.

It gets even more absurd when one remembers that you have to de register from residency too when you leave

Therefore in a situ like mine I would be registering for the 8 weeks I would be there (over the 90 days) and then have to deregister again. I have already been told in some areas the de registration can take up to 8 weeks to go through the system- so effectively I would need to register and deregister at the same time!!!!!!!

Not only is that nonsensical,but the refusal to either allow me to use my long stay trav ins, or take the local ins for that 8 week period make it virtually impossible for me to comply
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

If the authorities felt so strongly about this issue then why not start asking me how long I'm staying here for when I got my NIE number ?

They give NIE numbers out like sweets.

Surely to god obtaining an NIE number rings alarm bells that you are here for a long while and you are going to have a car, bank account and maybe even work.

If it was such a crime not to register as resident they would make you do it at the same time as claiming an NIE number.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom I get the feeling some ex pats feel a lot more strongly about some of these issues than the Spanish do
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

And it's not just Brits either. Think of all the French, Dutch, German, Italian etc people that are in Spain for long lengths of time and have not claimed residency.

Each person who gets intimidated by this law, panics and claims residency is just a bonus for Spain.

Bet government officials giggle there socks off and say lovely another one.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dondurma
Tom I get the feeling some ex pats feel a lot more strongly about some of these issues than the Spanish do
Most definitely!!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Tom it is what it is and no amount of questioning why this or that will resolve the problems.

An NIE is not the same as a UK NI number, to register Autonomos or an SL you will require much more than this. Also remember that if you register an SL you still have to pay autonomos. All madness I agree but there is nothing we can do about it unfortunately.

An NIE is required when purchasing a holiday home for example, that does not mean that person intends to live here or work here. My local garage insists on my NIE when buying gas bottles and central heating oil.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
And it's not just Brits either. Think of all the French, Dutch, German, Italian etc people that are in Spain for long lengths of time and have not claimed residency.

Add to that the EU ex pats living in the Spanish Algarve for example. They move day and daily without checks between countries- how is their length of stay to be calculated for residency or any other purpose
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Tom it is what it is and no amount of questioning why this or that will resolve the problems.

An NIE is not the same as a UK NI number, to register Autonomos or an SL you will require much more than this. Also remember that if you register an SL you still have to pay autonomos. All madness I agree but there is nothing we can do about it unfortunately.

An NIE is required when purchasing a holiday home for example, that does not mean that person intends to live here or work here. My local garage insists on my NIE when buying gas bottles and central heating oil.
Yes if I register as autonomo I have no doubt that I could provide anything that is asked for and would be happy to do so I would do everything correctly.

I would also probably register as resident too beings I would have a business here.

My argument is the difference between a tourist and somebody who fully has there life here and has nothing to do with the uk anymore.

Take Ibiza for example youngsters go to Ibiza and obtain jobs for 9 months of the year on contract which surpasses the 189 day rule is it ? Maybe got that number wrong but anyhow I very much doubt all of those youngsters register as resident while in Ibiza if any at all.

No chance.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom I have seen the question asked on several forums- does anyone know anyone who ever got into serious trouble with the Spanish authorities solely for not registering as residents.

I have yet to see one reply claiming they have known such a case
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah still waiting to hear of somebody who has been dragged out of bed and taken to the airport and put on the first Ryan Air flight available.

It's probably because we are NOT ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS lol
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
At least you are not avoiding your tax obligations!
That is the point Neptuno if one pays their non resident tax if a property owner ensures they are financially sound and not breaching the 183 day tax residency rule, then yes they breach the 90 day rule but Spain does not actually lose out on anything. If the 90 day rule was more workable then maybe more would comply. That is totally different to living under the radar and avoiding tax residency.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom-I think being forced to fly with Ryanair would be outlawed by the Geneva convention as " cruel and unusual punishment"
Old Oct 27th 2014, 12:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I've no idea about the Spanish requirements, but you say you're only 'holidaying' in Spain - surely if you're resident in Spain for 11 months of the year and the UK for only one then your principal residence is Spain and it's the UK you're 'holidaying' in?

I'd double check your backpackers insurance too, they won't usually pay out if they think you're living somewhere rather than just visiting.

Out of interest, what do you do in the UK that earns you enough money in a month to live off for the rest of the year?
Old Oct 27th 2014, 7:04 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
If the authorities felt so strongly about this issue then why not start asking me how long I'm staying here for when I got my NIE number ?

They give NIE numbers out like sweets.

Surely to god obtaining an NIE number rings alarm bells that you are here for a long while and you are going to have a car, bank account and maybe even work.

If it was such a crime not to register as resident they would make you do it at the same time as claiming an NIE number.

Please note that an NIE document ONLY LASTS 3 months - after that it needs renewing and they will want you to go the resident route!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.