Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

I am aware that IS a biggy and something that may get one into SERIOUS trouble
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
Just because people don't get into trouble, doesn't make it right, and is no reason not to comply with the law.
Albir Tom thinks people who do things legally are prim and proper-how would he describe himself, then?
He apparently thinks he has some God given right to be different from someone else, and ignore the rules of the country he is resident in.
As far as I know, there isn't a certain age at which one starts to obey the law!
Bit harsh but come on now I get the feeling your only saying all this because your on a Internet forum I mean if you said all this in person to the thousands of Brits that are in Spain for months, years on end and not resident you do know you would get laughed at and told where to go don't you.

It's pointless you getting all angry about it really ain't it ?

There are thousands of people against you on this i would definitely say more against than for.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know thousands of people are against me on this?
I think you will find that most expats , apart from the legality of it, find it is in their best interests to be resident.
Have you conducted your own poll?
Spain is in a dire state because of tax avoiders!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously ?

I HAVE NOT EARNT ONE CENT IN SPAIN TO PAY ANY TAX ON!!!

Spain is in a dire state because of corrupt officials and politicians and spending millions of euros on airports that don't even get used. That is why Spain is in a dire state.

If it wernt for people like me coming here and spending my hard earned cash from England it would be in even more of a state.

You completely baffle my mind you.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Seriously ?

I HAVE NOT EARNT ONE CENT IN SPAIN TO PAY ANY TAX ON!!!

Spain is in a dire state because of corrupt officials and politicians and spending millions of euros on airports that don't even get used. That is why Spain is in a dire state.

If it wernt for people like me coming here and spending my hard earned cash from England it would be in even more of a state.

You completely baffle my mind you.
You show a complete lack of understanding of the Spanish tax system, which requires you to declare all your worldwide income no matter where it comes
from!
Perhaps you should do some research before you post such ignorant views!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:40 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
So for the original poster of this thread if you are only coming to Spain to chill out for 9 months don't commit yourself to claiming residency, changing vehicles and driving licenses to Spanish it's just pointless.

You won't get any hassle.
Please keep within the rules of BE. Rule 2 clearly states that you must not "encourage someone to break the law".

Rosemary
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary-For my own scenario I would be grateful if anyone could give me advice on how to sensibly OBEY the law!!!!!!

Last edited by Dondurma; Oct 26th 2014 at 10:49 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it is legally correct that one should comply fully and make the declaration. However given the circumstances of the op then it does make the whole thing a bit silly. They do not as far as is stated intend staying any longer than 9 months they do not as far as I can see say they intend to continue this for successive years. So yes legally they should comply however in reality to do so going through all the bearaucracy would be both silly, a waste of time and no doubt not worth the hassle. However this issue comes up time and again. Yes illegal but living under the radar tends to mean one who takes something from the country in this case if they ensure private health cover and are financially self sufficient and not seeking or doing work then that is not the case, just a long holiday. I have said it before it is very easy if someone has not kept any assets in UK to say one should disclose all, even just for a long break. As has been mentioned the rules are not actually that sensible really to comply with if one retains a house etc in UK and pays their taxes in UK but have an holiday home in Spain or want a long holiday in Spain. But I do accept that what Neptuno says is the correct legal way. I am sure the OP will make their own considered decision.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord give me strength!!

If I owned property here in Spain and completely turned my back on the uk forever I would without fail declare what ever I needed to.

But as it stands I'm a mere tourist.

I think maybe your bitter because all your collateral is declared to the Spanish government and now you wish you hadn't done it and your picking flaws out on me now.

If your that bothered about it then go and dob me in, feel free!!

Tell them there is an English guy living in albir who ain't claimed residency.

Needle in a haystack!!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

If someone is not prepared to live by the laws of Spain, however much they disagree with them, or think they are unfair, or believe others are living under the radar, then they should make sure they spend less than the time limit here.
Not too difficult to understand, is it?
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't want to come across as ignorant but I just feel I ain't doing anything wrong really until the time comes when I want to retire in Spain for good that's if I want to.

I'm not a murderer!!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bobd22 I think you have hit the bail on the head.

Whilst it is technically breaking the law and therefore wrong, in the situ where one is not working, nor seeking work nor claiming any benefits nor using the Spanish health service and merely being a " longer stay tourist" -I hardly think its a matter anyone should get too fired up about.

God knows the Spanish obviously don't

Last edited by Dondurma; Oct 26th 2014 at 10:57 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Neptuno
If someone is not prepared to live by the laws of Spain, however much they disagree with them, or think they are unfair, or believe others are living under the radar, then they should make sure they spend less than the time limit here.
Not too difficult to understand, is it?

We aren't gonna agree on this but as I have set out on this and other forums for 5 month stayers like myself the Spanish have made it virtually impossible for me to comply, nor do they appear unduly obsessed with those who find themselves in my position
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Its one thing staying under the radar, spending money locally etc etc, however, its completely a whole different ball game if an immigrant starts up a business in Spain because not only do Spanish people think nothing of reporting you to Hacienda and segsocial they often continue to do so even if you are legal. Plus the same agencies will target you and check your books do spot checks and generally make life very difficult.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Dondurama I agree. However others will never see how absurd they have made the rules. For instance you could fly back to UK for a day after 89 days and return for other 2 months. Makes it all legal but only real difference is it has cost you an air fare. As we both can see sillyness. If the Spanish would accept long term holiday insurance now that would make more sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.