Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Residencia and S1 Forms - some advice please?

Residencia and S1 Forms - some advice please?

Old Jan 7th 2016, 10:19 am
Just Joined

NKing is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Residencia and S1 Forms - some advice please?

Hello all,I’d like a trial run at staying permanently in Spain. I have an apartment close to Torrevieja and have visited many times over the last 10 years.. Now I’m reaching the point where I’d like to move permanently. One concern is that of isolation – I know a couple of people there, but when I’ve visited before, I’ve taken friends with me.Hence the ‘trial run’. I’m fairly confident that I’ll be happy and I have enough websites to look at to provide me with options for the social aspect of my new life, but one never knows when it’s more of a permanent move JMy initial plan/thoughts on the logistics are as follows: Apply for S1 card and Pension in UKMove over in late June – hoping the above process can be completed in 3 – 4 months from nowTake above documents to Ayuntamiento to apply for residencia (along with application form, copy of Escritura, proof of income etc.). Does anyone have an opinion or experience on how long it takes from application until completion so that I can register with a health centre? And is the appointment done on a ‘walk in’ basis or do you make an appointment? If it’s the latter, can you make the appointment on line and how far in advance would they offer (i.e., how long would I have to wait?) Are the Padron and residencia applications done at the same time and place?What proof do I need of my NIE? I don’t have a card, but the number is clearly shown on my Escritura and if I get a copy of my non-resident tax/SUMA statement from my lawyer, it might be on that tooIf all goes well, in December, I'll pay my Non Residents Tax for this year and then start the process of tax forms/registration in Spain (making sure my trial run is less than the 180+ days threshold.) My other concern is healthcare: I’m aware that an EHIC is ok for short trips, but not long term (i.e., 5 – 6 months) so I’m hoping the S1 card will be up and running before (or shortly after) I move. I gather that it’s not a huge problem to reverse the process if I’m not happy and move back to the UK, but hopefully that won’t happen!· Is it ok to use this S1 while not having tax residency? Until I’m certain that I don’t want to move back to the UK, I don’t see much point to filing taxes in a country I won’t be living in and if I’m not required to do so.I belive you can de-register from the Padron and again, hoping that isn’t needed.I would appreciate any/all input and advice on my plan and any flaws in my logic. Looking forward to some informative and enlightening responses.. Kind regards,Niesa
Old Jan 7th 2016, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Residencia and S1 Forms - some advice please?

I expect that there has been no response for six hours or so because that is one mixed up question.
First, I see you give your location as Toronto, are you in fact a U.K. pensioner, either being paid or due to be paid ? A S1 is not issued until you are a paid UK pensioner.
You have the time scale about right you should claim at least three months before your pension is due to commence.
Next forget the Ayuntamiento for now, they have nothing to do with any of this.
You will need the permission to be resident, often wrongly called 'residencia'. For this you need a full set of documentation in duplicate including your passport, S1 and proof of income. You may or may not need further copies of your passport photo depending on the person you see.
With all this and the completed application form you need to go to the nearest National Police station. I have no idea if you will need an appointment or if they operate on a first come basis, these things vary.
Now, with all the same documentation and your 'residencia' (I don't like the term as it is misleading, however) you wander along to your local INSS (Social Security) office. Most of these require a prior appointment, you can do it on-line. here they will take all your paperwork and give you a piece of paper in exchange.
This will show that you have been entered into the system and enable you to register with a doctor of your choice. Your medical card follows by post usually about 4 weeks later.
Your 'Residencia' will have your NIE number on it but you should have a copy of your NIE anyway,I don't think you will get 'Residencia' without one.
Tax is a completely seperate issue to all of this.
As is Empadronamiento which is the only document you get from your
Ayuntamiento. It just shows that you are a registered resident of XXXX and that you live at XXXX. It is required for the health center and some other things, a car purchase for instance, so it is as well to have a couple of copies. They are only valid for three months.

HTH

Now that someone has responded no doubt there will be more responses to shoot me down, c'est la vie, or as the French say, that's life.

Note that I live in a different province which may cause major or minor differences.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Lyric - I've changed my profile to show my current status as living in Edinburgh. I joined this forum some time ago when I lived in Toronto, I think this may have been my first post, so I forgot about that. I am (or will be) a UK Pensioner so that may clear up something!! I've seen posts before where members have asked for more detail in order to answer the question and I may have been a little over wordy with mine. If I re-post, I'll keep it shorter... Your information is invaluable -- it's clarified many things and I appreciate you taking the time to write, especially when you had to sift through my post to get to the actual issue... I called the DWP this morning and between your information and that call, I think all is clearer in my mind. I'm assured the S1 process takes no longer than 28 days from phone call to the UK, to receipt of card. At that point, I can provide the information and papers. required to (1) the local Police office and (2) the INSS office. I can deal with the process in steps - Permission to be a residentS1 and health coverage Empadroniimiento Fiscal residency Thank you again - I do appreciate your advice and the time you've taken to provide the information. Cheers for now from a wet, cold and windy Edinburgh. Niesa
Old Jan 8th 2016, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Avoid the Expat Bubble" is my advice. Do all you can to make friends from a variety of backgrounds. British, Spanish and Other. Find activities that get you in touch with others. Exactly what kind of activities is up to you. Good luck !
Old Jan 11th 2016, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Scot - that is exactly my plan. My Spanish - at the moment - is fair to middling and in all my dealings with Spanish people, I've found them to be polite, friendly and helpful (well, apart from the bank!) I start my conversations with tentative Spanish and gather speed! My neighbours are Spanish too, so when I'm there on a permanent basis, I'll try to get to know them a little better. I lived in Canada for 20+ years and came to know people from many other countries, enjoyed their company and getting to know their customs and backgrounds. I had good memories of growing up in Scotland but the memories and the currently reality were light years apart. I did miss the humour though, so might very well appreciate BBC on my new tv, along with a Spanish channel or two so that I can improve the language skills. slainte/salud,Niesa