Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Residencia renewal nightmare

Residencia renewal nightmare

Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:39 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residencia renewal nightmare

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
As our residencia cards are about to expire, I've been looking into the need for renewal (of any kind) - and it doesn't seem to exist.
Its clearly of no value as identification so what purpose can it usefully serve ?
I'm sure Fred is bang on the money with a Ajuntamiento authenticated copy of passport, driving licence etc..

But I'm keen to hear from anyone who believes otherwise.
I'd be the first to argue, pragmatically, as to the use of this piece of paper - other than to have a record of all foreigners, but why do they need it?

Unfortunately, for legal reasons, we just have to register and carry this piece of paper around with us
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Mataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really nice

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I'd be the first to argue, pragmatically, as to the use of this piece of paper - other than to have a record of all foreigners, but why do they need it?

Unfortunately, for legal reasons, we just have to register and carry this piece of paper around with us
I had to renew mine last week as am getting my driving licence and the DGT wouldn't accept an out of date NIE, even only a week out of date a s mine was.

Am so suprised to hear how long it took everyone to get theirs re-newed. I was in and out in 10 mins with the paper work and went to collect it 7 days later.

Have to say though that this paper is now so annoying that I keep it at home on the shelf. I have never been asked for ID in the 11 years I've lived here, apart from paying by card in the shops and bank stuff, but never stopped in the street. Must be some really dodgy looking people out there who get stopped for ID in the street!!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:05 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mataroni
I had to renew mine last week as am getting my driving licence and the DGT wouldn't accept an out of date NIE, even only a week out of date a s mine was.

Am so suprised to hear how long it took everyone to get theirs re-newed. I was in and out in 10 mins with the paper work and went to collect it 7 days later.

Have to say though that this paper is now so annoying that I keep it at home on the shelf. I have never been asked for ID in the 11 years I've lived here, apart from paying by card in the shops and bank stuff, but never stopped in the street. Must be some really dodgy looking people out there who get stopped for ID in the street!!
Shrink it, fold it, get it stamped and then plasticise it. It will then fit into your passport.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Shrink it, fold it, get it stamped and then plasticise it. It will then fit into your passport.
Save your money, most government offices (the people that usually need to see it) only accept originals.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

You can't shrink it and have it legal. It's actually 'for ever' so won't stand up to much folding. Best thing is to put a passe-partout around it, frame it under glass... and wrench it off the wall as needed.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:15 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Save your money, most government offices (the people that usually need to see it) only accept originals.
Most places will accept it if it is stamped. If you have to take the big original to some places, so be it.

The cost you talk of saving? A couple of euros.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:16 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Lenox
You can't shrink it and have it legal. It's actually 'for ever' so won't stand up to much folding. Best thing is to put a passe-partout around it, frame it under glass... and wrench it off the wall as needed.
Yes you can, but it has to have a couple of official stamps on it.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Most places will accept it if it is stamped. If you have to take the big original to some places, so be it.

The cost you talk of saving? A couple of euros.
HTF do they read an A4 shrunk to a credit card size ?
I`d sooner spend me 2 €`s on a coffee and a brandy.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:39 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
HTF do they read an A4 shrunk to a credit card size ?
I`d sooner spend me 2 €`s on a coffee and a brandy.
I didn't say credit card. When it is shrunk, it is then folded over so that it ends up just smaller than a passport page. Half the info on one side, half on the other.

It's useful and practical.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:31 am
Just Joined

inib is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everybody, pleased to meet you all. I sent the following message to a forum I regularly visit, and where they were kind enough to redirect me to you.

In Spain - NIE or passport?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi folks, I'm new in Culture Cafe, so please forgive me if I do something wrong or unusual.
I'm writing to see if any of you can give me some practical advice.
I'm a Brit residing in Spain since 1984. For over 20 years I've been the holder of a lovely little card which was my residence permit and bore my NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero). It was a neat little thing, which could be quickly whipped out of my wallet every time I paid by credit/debit card, picked up a registered letter, booked into a hotel. With the number on it, I've paid my taxes, opened bank/telephone accounts, and generally got on with every day life. My British passport only ever saw the light of day when I travelled.
Now comes the problem. My beloved Residence Card sadly came to the end of its days recently and when I went to renew it, I was told that the authorities no longer issued these cards. Instead, I was given an A-4 size piece of flimsy paper which is a Residence Certificate, bears the same NIE, and which I will never have to renew. When I asked what I was supposed to carry around for identification purposes, I was told that would be my British passport.
Well, I am flummoxed, because my passport seems too valuable (and big) a document to cart around everywhere, and its number is different to the one I've been using for so long, and under which I'm registered in so many places. My certificate is too big and too flimsy to last more than a month in my handbag, and though it's got my favourite number on it, it clearly states DOCUMENTO NO VÁLIDO PARA ACREDITAR LA IDENTIDAD NI LA NACIONALIDAD DEL PORTADOR (more or less: this document is not proof of identity or nationality).
I'd like to know how other people in the same situation are going about this. Can I use plastified (maybe reduced-size) photocopies of my certificate or passport in all situations, or is someone likely to demand an original? Is it still the case under Spanish law that you officially must carry identification at ALL times (even on a dog walk, or on the beach)?
I know I can't be alone in this dilemma, so please give me some tips.

I have now read all your comments and advice, but am frustrated to find that there is not one single answer to this problem. I have a British friend who says that she can pay by credit card by showing a NORMAL photocopy of her passport. My Town Hall says it can't endorse a photocopy for me (they can only do this with documents they have emitted themselves). The local notary is delighted to endorse it for me for 15-20 €, and says it should be accepted anywhere, though they can't "shrink" it, as what they are certifying is that it is an IDENTICAL copy of the original. My bank says that other branches would accept nothing other than an original passport, even if the photocopy were signed by the queen, the pope and the national treasurery!
I guess it will be trial and error from now on. I'll be back to you all, if I need bailing out of prison under a charge of fraud or false identity!
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:38 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inib
I have now read all your comments and advice, but am frustrated to find that there is not one single answer to this problem. I have a British friend who says that she can pay by credit card by showing a NORMAL photocopy of her passport. My Town Hall says it can't endorse a photocopy for me (they can only do this with documents they have emitted themselves). The local notary is delighted to endorse it for me for 15-20 €, and says it should be accepted anywhere, though they can't "shrink" it, as what they are certifying is that it is an IDENTICAL copy of the original. My bank says that other branches would accept nothing other than an original passport, even if the photocopy were signed by the queen, the pope and the national treasurery!
I guess it will be trial and error from now on. I'll be back to you all, if I need bailing out of prison under a charge of fraud or false identity!
If you search other threads you will find a few answers to the problem. Me ... I just use my photograph driving licence, and have done for years with no problem. That should do fine for credit card payments .. I've never shown my passport for such a thing. It's been accepted in my bank also, and by the Police on road check

However anything official such as tax office etc, then the passport will be required
Old Apr 5th 2011, 12:32 pm
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
If you search other threads you will find a few answers to the problem. Me ... I just use my photograph driving licence, and have done for years with no problem. That should do fine for credit card payments .. I've never shown my passport for such a thing. It's been accepted in my bank also, and by the Police on road check

However anything official such as tax office etc, then the passport will be required
As usual good advice from Mitzyboy.

I would emphasis that the only legal ID for a Brit is a valid resident card (with photo and fingerprint) or an original British Passport or a copy which has been authenticated by the British Consul, nothing else.

If you want to be sure you have no problems always take your legal ID to official offices. For example, some police officers do send people away when they don't have their legal ID (unless its loss is the subject of the report) when they want to make a crime report (Denuncia) others don't but why take the risk? Same goes for Notaries, banks, Trafico etc.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

Thank you very much Mitzyboy and Julian. I am giving in now, and will carry my passport around every time I use a handbag. I will just hope for the best, when I'm not. When I recover from this dose of red-tape, I'll start looking at getting Spanish nationality.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:13 am
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by inib
I'll start looking at getting Spanish nationality.
Unless you are from a former Spanish colony ( most can apply after 2 years here) you cannot apply for Spanish nationality until you have been here for 10years (and can show you have integrated).

My wife has been waiting 30 months now since she submitted her application and no one can tell us how much longer she will have to wait to hear whether she has been successful.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JulianWard
Unless you are from a former Spanish colony ( most can apply after 2 years here) you cannot apply for Spanish nationality until you have been here for 10years (and can show you have integrated).

My wife has been waiting 30 months now since she submitted her application and no one can tell us how much longer she will have to wait to hear whether she has been successful.
Thanks Julian, but I've been here for 28 years now, paying my taxes and "autónomos" non-stop. I've also been married to a Spaniard for 13 years. I've even got other family members living over here, though they came later than I did and are still British. I think I cover the requirements.
When I got married here, they demanded so many more papers for a being a foreigner that I said, "Well it's about time I turned Spanish" and the clerk sighed "Ooof! That WILL take a long time", and put me off it!
Maybe if I start now, I'll manage it before my passport runs out in 2014.
I am very grateful for everybody's interest, and may well be back to you all when they start sending me from pillar to post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.