Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Residencia and Children

Residencia and Children

Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:03 pm
aspeangel

Default Residencia and Children

Hi, hope someone can clarify this for me!
Myself and my husband have residencia here but we never bothered to get our son, who was 2 when we arrived, an NIE or residencia card/certificate. He has been to school here for 4 years now, clearly a resident! I am trying to open a bank account for him and they have said unless he has an NIE or card etc then they have to open a non-resident card for him! Is he not classed as resident automatically as we have ours??
Any clarification would be appreciated!

Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residencia and Children

Originally Posted by aspeangel
Hi, hope someone can clarify this for me!
Myself and my husband have residencia here but we never bothered to get our son, who was 2 when we arrived, an NIE or residencia card/certificate. He has been to school here for 4 years now, clearly a resident! I am trying to open a bank account for him and they have said unless he has an NIE or card etc then they have to open a non-resident card for him! Is he not classed as resident automatically as we have ours??
Any clarification would be appreciated!
No, we've heard that too - they will not be classed as resident without the certificate.

Our school 'suggested' that an NIE would be a good thing, and we chose to do the residencia as well. Subsequently, there have been odd occasions when the NIE (in particular) has been required e.g. for claiming the school travel allowances, etc, etc - even for them to join in activities at the local gym!

So, I would definately recommend NIE, residencia and of course making sure they're on the Padron as well.

Also, we have heard of a number of people struggling to get resident bank accounts as most banks seem to refuse the certificate - demanding instead to see your 'residents card' - which of course is no longer being issued to EU citizens!!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:41 pm
aspeangel

Well you learn something new everyday, noone has ever questioned him not having an NIE, he is on the padron, would´t be accepted into school without that one! He has a SIP card, his passport was sufficient for that! Oh well, just another mission to go on and get sorted!! I love Spain, theres always a fresh challenge everyday!! Thanks for the info twyntub!

Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:28 am
Just Joined

shar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

He will definitely need his own NIE and then if he is resident here a Residence certificate as will you when the card you have expires... please read more here
(SNIP)

I know its frustrating the law seems to change daily doesnt it!

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jun 11th 2008 at 11:37 pm. Reason: Url removed
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:49 am
Just Joined

nausicaa is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been living here for 21 years and have 5 children, so far only the oldest one has a NIE, because in Spain all children over 14 years old must have a DNI (or NIE for residents), all the others have opened accounts in the bank under mine or their fathers NIE with no problems, under their own name. The eldest opened an account when she was tiny, and then had to give the bank her NIE number when she turned 14.
Anything else is free interpretation of the law from the banks.
Hope this helps
Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:23 pm
aspeangel

Yesterday, I was told by the bank that they cannot even open a non-resident account for him now as we have a residents account. Aparaently, its the new law that they cannot do this. So I am taking Shar´s advice next week and popping off to Elche Police Station to try and sort it out.
I´ll let you all know how I get on!

Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Good luck and remember you need all the forms which you can download, info on the link I sent you and all the other paperwork I sent unfortunately you cannot download the carbon modelos these you have to obtain from the comisseria but it is possible to get them when they open at 9 you need to be there really early about 5 or 6 ish and dependant upon the number you are issued you will be told to return at a set time so this in between time will give you time to go to the bank and pay the modelo fee. The parent of the child has to have residence certificate too to apply for the childs NIE and this is issued at the same time there is more info here (SNIP) HOWEVER I have just heard that you now have to go to Alicante for the residence certificates and I have a collegue who is going to the Comiseria today to find out for me so will try to let you know... I hope not!! What a pain, tryin gto keep up with these changes!

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jun 11th 2008 at 11:38 pm. Reason: Url removed
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Hi Sharon,

Called into Elche police station today and saw Mr Nice Guy ~ still as charming as ever !! ~ NOT. Anyway he says it is only people from Torrevieja that have to go to Alicante ~ Albatera and Crevillente are still ok to go to Elche. He also said to go at 8am and pick up ticket!!. I was surprised and said did we not have to get there earlier, but he said well maybe at 7.30am, but no earlier ~ Also they are not issuing so many tickets a day now, he said it depends on the day ~ today they had issued 45 ?? ~ so don't know what to make of all that.

I am supposed to be taking two guys next week for their Residencia certs ~ so will see what the format is, but still think I will get there about 7am. ~ just in case. Another thing was they now have a notice on the window both in Spanish and English stating what you need to obtain an NIE and Residencia Certificate and on neither of them does it say that you need a padron ~ which I found strange.

On the notice it just said that to apply for a Residencia Certificate you needed first to have an NIE number, and then you needed your old residents card if it had expired, the application form, the Modelo 790 with the fee of 6.80 euros paid, your passport and a copy of your passport. How you keep up with all of this I don't know !!.

No neither do I!!!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:56 pm
aspeangel

Thanks for this, it doesn´t sound like it will be too horrendous at Elche. The other problem I have is that my husband lost his residence card, so we have to sort that out as well!!! Anyway, we will give it a go (we live in Aspe, so Elche will be our port of call no doubt). I´ll let you know how I get on! Take care and thanks again, C x

Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:06 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shar
Hi Sharon,

Called into Elche police station today and saw Mr Nice Guy ~ still as charming as ever !! ~ NOT. Anyway he says it is only people from Torrevieja that have to go to Alicante ~ Albatera and Crevillente are still ok to go to Elche. He also said to go at 8am and pick up ticket!!. I was surprised and said did we not have to get there earlier, but he said well maybe at 7.30am, but no earlier ~ Also they are not issuing so many tickets a day now, he said it depends on the day ~ today they had issued 45 ?? ~ so don't know what to make of all that.

I am supposed to be taking two guys next week for their Residencia certs ~ so will see what the format is, but still think I will get there about 7am. ~ just in case. Another thing was they now have a notice on the window both in Spanish and English stating what you need to obtain an NIE and Residencia Certificate and on neither of them does it say that you need a padron ~ which I found strange.

On the notice it just said that to apply for a Residencia Certificate you needed first to have an NIE number, and then you needed your old residents card if it had expired, the application form, the Modelo 790 with the fee of 6.80 euros paid, your passport and a copy of your passport. How you keep up with all of this I don't know !!.

No neither do I!!!
It's the case here (Valencia region) that you now need the residencia to get the padron!!!! It used to be the other way around!

When you apply for the residencia, if you don't already have an NIE, you will be given one (so to speak ).
Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
It's the case here (Valencia region) that you now need the residencia to get the padron!!!! It used to be the other way around!

When you apply for the residencia, if you don't already have an NIE, you will be given one (so to speak ).
Do you think the UK social security has taken over running the Spanish paperwork system ?
Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aspeangel
Thanks for this, it doesn´t sound like it will be too horrendous at Elche. The other problem I have is that my husband lost his residence card, so we have to sort that out as well!!! Anyway, we will give it a go (we live in Aspe, so Elche will be our port of call no doubt). I´ll let you know how I get on! Take care and thanks again, C x
We had to go to Elda... which is strange because our next big town is Elche which would have been much easier.

Still, we went with someone who knew what they were doing. Strolled in at 9:30 to be told by the British people in the queue that we should have been there at 7.00am like them... our 'contact' walked in and managed to get a number no problem!!

Apparently - if you know the 'right days to go' then you don't have to queue - but you need to know the right days...
Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twyntub
We had to go to Elda... which is strange because our next big town is Elche which would have been much easier.

Still, we went with someone who knew what they were doing. Strolled in at 9:30 to be told by the British people in the queue that we should have been there at 7.00am like them... our 'contact' walked in and managed to get a number no problem!!

Apparently - if you know the 'right days to go' then you don't have to queue - but you need to know the right days...
So, spill the beans.....
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
So, spill the beans.....
Our contact spends every day in just about every government office / department / etc. Apparently, it changes week by week, and of course it's who you know - not what.

So don't just turn up and hope for the best - queue early or turn up with the right contacts!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Residencia and Children

Originally Posted by snikpoh

Last week some national government minister together with the British Ambassador stood up and said under EU law this is illegal and you do not need the Residencia Certificate to be registered on the Padron (Local census). The goverenment has issued an instruction to this effect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.